med school personal statement (early)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goguryo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong forum?

um.. you sound crazy. please dont apply to medical school

I'll tell you about the same thing I told a friend whom I read a personal statement for- your statement is all over the place, and there hardly seem to be any connections or transitions between paragraphs.

More specifically... for starters, I would be wary of mentioning anything about counter intelligence watching us - whether it's true or not is irrelevant.. it makes you sound paranoid. I also wouldn't mention an Audi A4, as that also seems irrelevant to pursuing a career in medicine. Perhaps your point just isn't coming across properly, in which case I would consider writing a more theme-focused and direct essay.

What is this? That first post is really disjointed...OP, what are you looking for?

Odd post.

Am I the only one that found it ironic that Rorshach (aka UMass rower) thought the OP to be a little off?

Ahhh I'm a dweeb.

how many characters do we get again on amcas?

i really hope that a strenuous application process has not caused the OP to suffer a psychotic break

collect your thoughts, man

i really hope that a strenuous application process has not caused the OP to suffer a psychotic break

thanks for the hint... :(

but seriously does anyone know the character limit on the essay portion on AMCAS? Is it 5000 including spaces?

im confused with this thread. kinda made my head hurt a little

I agree with the other posters-- your personal statement really does make you sound a bit unbalanced. Examples:

1) You alternately refer to yourself in the 3rd person and the 1st person. This makes you sound both grandiose and disjointed in thought

2) You write about your interest in "self-healing" in your attempt to enter a profession centered around the Doctor/Patient relationship. This makes you seem self-absorbed and uninterested in the founding principles of medicine.

3) You mention that you have already applied several times without success and that you have been diagnosed with a mental illness. Just one of these would be a red flag-- both will be an automatic rejection.

4) You have incomplete sentence fragments laced throughout your personal statement as well as some very odd syntax. My English teacher would have given this an F.

5) Finally, but most importantly, these writings seem like the "racing thoughts" that are said to typify the manic portion of bipolar disorder. In all seriousness, I would suggest that you check in with yourself, your loved ones, and your therapist/physician to see whether you might be entering a manic phase. I suspect that if you could read these thoughts as we do, you also might raise an eyebrow with regard to the mental status of the author.

Good luck to you. :luck: