Med School Rankings - Is there a way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burtland

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-
I was just wondering how people were going about ranking their school's reputations. I know this is a very ambiguous system, but it is an important consideration for when residency matches come around.
Is US News & World Report the only thing we can rely on? How do we judge residency match lists? Is there any way to quantify what kind of students each med school turns out? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic...
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yalies..... --Trek

There's a separate category in the US News ranking for reputation amongst residency directors. Yale actually does moderately well in that category.

Other than that, you can look at the match list, and look at how many of their students get their first and second choice, and what residency programs they match into.

Obviously, it's not much of a science. I think that coming out of any top 20 school gives you more than a decent shot at getting into any program in the country. Perhaps not everybody gets into derm at Mass General, but everybody does just fine...

Members don't see this ad :)
quick trek --- post again...you're running some serious bad luck with your post total right now :D

ok...you fixed it. You must be online right now.