1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Med School Rankings Question?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rjhtamu, Oct 26, 2002.

1. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity, when most people look at the rankings for various medical schools (USNews), they almost always use the ranking for schools according to research, not for patient care. Since I assume the majority of people are going to med school for patient care, why not use that ranking set, not the one primarily for research??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pneumo

Pneumo Member
    7+ Year Member

Excellent point. My take is that people prefer the Research Ranking b/c it puts schools such as Harvard, Yale, Duke into the top ten. Some students may want to have both the assurance of a top ten ranking from U.S. News :rolleyes: and a "name brand":rolleyes:.

4. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good question. But from what I know, the term "research" is used loosely for the "research rankings". In other words, they're not just based on research but on reputation by residency directors, funding, selectivity of admissions, evaluation by peers, etc. And I think US news does include some sort of parameter for patient care in the research rankings too, although I can't remember exactly what that may be. There is another ranking for "primary care" but I don't think those rankings would be anymore focused on quality of patient care in general.

I'm one of those people who doesn't think subscribing to the USnews rankings is all that bad. It's not the final word by any means, but I think it does take a lot of important factors into account. Besides, if there is an authority on ranking "stuff" in general, USnews would be it.

5. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've wondered the same thing, but i think it's because that with the research rank (many times) goes:

*federal funding $$ and higher residency rank/ placing

*Stricter admissions requirements (GPA and MCAT averages) unfortunately, many care more about than the actual

*and thus, reputation and prestige, which unfortunetly some students value more than the actual education and enviroment of the medical school.

Look at wayne state university of Detroit MI, for example. They have average numbers for admission, a huge class (due to being the only med school in metro detroit), have average facilities and not much prestige.

Yet their graduates are many times superior interns (1st yr resident) b/c of the awesome amount of responsibility and hands on experience they recieve during their clinical clerkship years.

Not to mention all the research opportunities within the Detroit Medical Center's hospitals, with Children's (the best pediatric hospital in MI)

Got away from the original topic, sorry, but you get my point.

Joe