Med school/ residency and family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Norman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, to those of you who are going through this and are married and have children. I understand that both med school and residency require huge sacrifices and huge amounts of time. My question is this, do you still have a little bit of time for your family. I know that it may require me to make time. I guess I just nee d abit of reassurance tha I can chase my dreams and not leave my family behind.Thanks.

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad.

During medical school you will have plenty of time M1,M2 and M4. M3 time is pretty scarce. Esp. while on surgery, ob, peds, and medicine. During your internship time will be scarce as well esp. if you are in certain programs. The rest of your residency will depend on which specialty you choose. If time is of special consideration you will have to decide if one of the less time consuming specialties is for you, ie.. radiology or path vs. surgery.

That being said lots of people go to medical school and so forth with families. It is a matter of good time management. I have had more time with my wife the last four years than I ever did while working or while I was in the Navy.

hope this help.

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

Well, at this point my main interest is in EM. How time demanding is this during residency?

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad :)
In EM your internship will be pretty rough. But, as you get into your later years you will do alot of shift work. Certain months will be bad others will be good. Once, you are done you have a lot of flexability in your hours. But, you will likely have to work shift work which has its own problems with family life.

I thought internship was for osteopathic students. That's what an DO student told me a few months ago...that allopathics didn't have to do an internship.

The first year of any residency is often called "internship" - so the terms "intern" and "first-year-resident" are interchangeable.

Thanks for the info. Why do they call a first year resident an intern?

If I had to guess I would think that intern is a historical term from when fresh-minted doctors would live in the hospital. Again, a guess. I don't even know if doctors lived in hospitals.

Geo

They call you intern because the only thing you probably know how to do is wipe someone's rear end.

Oscar that makes no sense. Where's the connection.

The term Resident comes from the fact that residents used to live in the hospital.

Internment is another word for imprisonment. This is a reference to the grueling nature of the first year of residency when you have to work like a slave. It was origionally a little inside joke.

Mikado

Internship used to be a set of rotations through the major fields -- similar to third year med school, only this time as a doctor. Then after that you would do your residency in whatever field you choose. Interestingly, EMed and Family Practice still have something similar to the "old fashioned" internship. Surgery, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Peds, etc. all have you do a "specialized" internship.

Linie

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mikado:
Internment is another word for imprisonment.
Mikado

Internment is also another word for dying and then being buried. Thinking of it that way, it makes a lot of sense, haha.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Firebird:
Internment is also another word for dying and then being buried. Thinking of it that way, it makes a lot of sense, haha.

Actually, I believe the term for being buried is interment, not internment.

Signed,
no sense of humor