Med School-Residency

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by beljr, Mar 26, 2001.

1. beljr

beljr Junior Member

I will be beginning med school this fall. Can anyone tell me how much of a factor a medical school's reputation plays in allowing graduates to get their top choices? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    Alot less than your grades, recommendations and USMLE scores.

As long as you are going to an US medical school you will get your shot at any residency. If you are talking about an out of US school it will be harder.

What school are you talking about? Then maybe some better advice.

4. For the most competitive residencies, a top flight medical school may confer some advantage. However, this definitely FOLLOWS (as GP says above) your USMLE scores, grades, AOA, letters, etc.

Bottom line - choose a medical school which will provide you with the most enjoyment (ie, is it where you want to live, do you like the students, the faculty, the curriculum) and a good education rather than for the name. Doing well is the best weapon in your residency application arsenal.

5. beljr

beljr Junior Member

6. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    I am sure lots and lots of students from Univ. of New Mexico go into surgery. Getting into general surgery has gotten easier over the last few years. It is still competitive but not what it once was. Ortho, Plastics, Urology are still very hard to get.

The cost savings and lifestyle of staying at your state school to me would greatly outweigh the minimal gain you would get from "reputation".

Also, if you are going to try for one of those competitive residencies you want to be AOA. Which might be easier at a less reputable school.

hope this helps.