Med School-Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beljr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be beginning med school this fall. Can anyone tell me how much of a factor a medical school's reputation plays in allowing graduates to get their top choices? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Alot less than your grades, recommendations and USMLE scores.

As long as you are going to an US medical school you will get your shot at any residency. If you are talking about an out of US school it will be harder.

What school are you talking about? Then maybe some better advice.

For the most competitive residencies, a top flight medical school may confer some advantage. However, this definitely FOLLOWS (as GP says above) your USMLE scores, grades, AOA, letters, etc.

Bottom line - choose a medical school which will provide you with the most enjoyment (ie, is it where you want to live, do you like the students, the faculty, the curriculum) and a good education rather than for the name. Doing well is the best weapon in your residency application arsenal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GreatPumpkin:

I am looking at the University of New Mexico(I am a New Mexico resident) and Boston Univeristy. I would prefer UNM for many reasons if it would not hurt me in the long run. I am thinking about getting into surgery at this point but Im sure that will change in time. Any advice? Thanks

I am sure lots and lots of students from Univ. of New Mexico go into surgery. Getting into general surgery has gotten easier over the last few years. It is still competitive but not what it once was. Ortho, Plastics, Urology are still very hard to get.

The cost savings and lifestyle of staying at your state school to me would greatly outweigh the minimal gain you would get from "reputation".

Also, if you are going to try for one of those competitive residencies you want to be AOA. Which might be easier at a less reputable school.

hope this helps.