1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Med School Review Summer Programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tbachi, Jun 16, 2001.

1. tbachi

tbachi Member
    10+ Year Member

Lately I have been hearing about these review study programs for students entering year 1 at certain medical schools. I was wondering which schools offer these??? Does yours?? and how many days/and hours per day these programs last? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I will be attending Western U/COMP in the Fall, and they offer SAPP(Summer Anatomy Prep Program) which lasts for 3 weeks...M-F from 8am-5pm..and reviews basic anatomy..and perhaps some Biochemistry(from what I hear)..after it ends, I have a week break, and then REAL school begins.

The school also offers the ability to take Gross Anatomy over the summer, over a 7 week period, and will all you to have more free time during the Fall, but the sumemr anatomy is at a much more demanding rate...lot of material...much less time.

If you have any other questions....fell free to e-mail me...

Hope it helped

4. Hamster

Hamster Member
    10+ Year Member

Morehouse offers one.
    Their Pre-matirculation program is about 5wks long from 8-5pm. You take Biochem, Human Morphology, Fundamentals of Medicine.

You are tested!..even though the grades do not count for the 'regular term', if you do poorly they will place you in a five year program. :eek:

Also it gives you a chance to familiarize yourself to the school, area and your new classmates. I am excited!

5. DocToBe

DocToBe Member
    10+ Year Member

All 3 NJ schools offer one. I went through one of these programs. It was great to have the opportunity but I wish I enjoyed the summer instead. The one I participated in had you preview anatomy, biochemistry, and histology. The bad thing about it was that I wasn't taking anything for credit and the workload was crazy, so I had the choice of either studying my ass off and getting burnt out before the real deal started, or slacking off, while absorbing what I could and doing poorly on the exams. I just finished a triple major and I was completely exhausted. Needless to say, in my case it would have been a better choice to relax.
    This program was 9-3 or 5 Mon-Fri (and sometimes 12 on Fridays). Anyway, whatever you choose, good luck!

6. utmed02

utmed02 Junior Member

At UT-Houston we have a 5 week Pre-Entry
    Program with course work in Gross Anatomy,
    Biochem, and Physiology/Neuroscience.
    There are also some study skills sessions
    and social activities. The schedule
    is roughly M-F 9-3/4. The 'grades' during
    the program are basically just for your own
    benefit and they don't count on your official
    transcript. This was a great way to get
    familiar with some of the 1st year material
    and to meet lots of people before the real
    stress begins!

7. FourthTime

FourthTime Member
    10+ Year Member

UTMB (U Texas in Galveston) has one as well. It's called the Prematriculation program. It exposes you to a little bit of everything (anatomy, biochm, neuroscience, pathobiol, histology, embryo, etc.), but it's definitely more heavy on the anatomy side than anything else. You begin dissections and continue throughout the 6 week course pretty much on par with what you'll do the next fall (though not as much detail). I'm in it right now and I think that's the best part about it. As for the other courses, depends on your background. Coming from a heavy science background, I don't think I'm getting as much out of the other stuff as some of the liberal arts students. We have about 100 (half our class) in the program. If you are interested in Texas and want to know more, feel free to email me at [email protected] Good luck!!