Skip Intro

Registered User
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
3,377
957
Status
Attending Physician
Josh-

If you are just starting out at U.S. college, why not just try to crush your pre-med courses, kick the MCATs rear-end, and apply to U.S. schools? Are you an older student or is there some other mitigating factor(s)?

Just curious.

-Skip
 
About the Ads

ApacheIndian

philomath
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2002
543
1
Earth
Originally posted by Skip Intro
Josh-

If you are just starting out at U.S. college, why not just try to crush your pre-med courses, kick the MCATs rear-end, and apply to U.S. schools?

-Skip
Agree with Skip. This is very good advice.

I understand that you and your boyz wanna stay close, but you're gonna face an uphill battle if you choose the Caribbean route so quickly. Check it out...

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33579&highlight=objective+Caribbean

Good luck with whatever it is you choose :).
 
OP
B

BmwParamedic

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2002
4
0
Visit site
Status
good advice I think i'll apply to St.Matthews just as a back up also do most med school require you to have a BS in the US unlike foreign med school that just want 90 units?
 

Skip Intro

Registered User
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
3,377
957
Status
Attending Physician
Good luck, whatever you chose, Josh.

:)

-Skip
 

Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2000
2,012
1
Somewhere in Micronesia
Status
One more thing, and very important:

If you intend to or think you might want to stay around in California, and if you go to a non-US med school, you MUST go to one that is pre-approved by California. Each school must go through a strenuous process to receive this; St. Mat has NOT to date.

So, do your research well before making a move in regard to any non-US school. If you do a search here at SDN on the International Forums with the word "California," some info from past posts should turn up that might be a good starting point. Best to you, SE.
 

Pursuing MD

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2002
113
0
L.A., city of the scandalous
Visit site
Status
Hello Steph,

You said: "If you intend to or think you might want to stay around in California, and if you go to a non-US med school, you MUST go to one that is pre-approved by California. Each school must go through a strenuous process to receive this..."

SGU is pre-approved by California; correct? THANKS!
 

Skip Intro

Registered User
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
3,377
957
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Pursuing MD
Hello Steph,

You said: "If you intend to or think you might want to stay around in California, and if you go to a non-US med school, you MUST go to one that is pre-approved by California. Each school must go through a strenuous process to receive this..."

SGU is pre-approved by California; correct? THANKS!
Yes, Pursuing, it is:

Our program in medicine is approved by the states of New York, New Jersey, California and Florida for clinical training of students in our clinical centers and affiliated hospitals. The School additionally has affiliation agreements and partnerships with a number of hospitals in other states and in the U.K. and has been visited and approved for Limited Registration status by the General Medical Council of Great Britain.
http://www.sgu.edu/nhome.nsf/webcontent/0B3738FCEEDC006685256B4400757EF8?OpenDocument&top=med


Good luck!

-Skip
 
About the Ads