med school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do med school scholarships work? One of my friends who also applied is an URM, but didnt receive any scholarship offers yet (avg stats). another friend, who is not an URM, with very high stats also hasnt received any offers yet. My own financial aid packages, thus far, only outline loans - not that I was expecting any grand scholarships.

Are scholarships that people post about when they say they're getting full-rides (or any money at all) something to apply for/is it too late and are they usually only extended to those with a lot of financial need/what qualifies as financial need?

Members don't see this ad.

It is pretty uncommon for people to get scholarships for medical school at all, let alone full rides. Usually, unless the school tells you otherwise once you've been accepted, you are considered for scholarships at the same time when you are considered for admission, so you get your acceptance along with your scholarship offer if you have one. I think mostly schools consider merit/desirability as a candidate rather than financial need for scholarships - although need may be a factor - because most people pay for medical school with loans anyway. If you all haven't gotten a scholarship offer at this point, it would be a pleasant surprise if you got one later - I would not count on it.

I honestly never gave much thought to it, but I got a yearly scholarship that basically brought my OOS tuition cost to IS tuition cost. I never applied for it as far as I remember. I did write a thank you note to the scholarship fund sponsors every year. I was non-trad, but not urm or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.