Med school science requirements during summer sessions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolate_queen_md

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will schools, mainly top 50 schools, look at science requirements that are filled during the summer sessions. I am planning on taking both physics I,II and Organic Chem I,II during the two summer sessions at U of MD and I heard that some school wont count summer classes in your sci gpa and some wont even accept them at fulfilling the requirements for admission. I am not rushing to finish and take my MCAT I know Ill get a million little haters tell me their take your time philosophy but I am a non traditional student with a two year old daughter (and she's a mess) and during the summer she visits my parents and I can really devote the time to class (although having a husband is like having another child, no offense). This will in turn allow me to take an MCAT study course in the fall and a few classes that arent as demanding so in April I will be ready for my MCAT. Oh by the way this is for next year's MCAT I am just starting out this fall with Bio/chem I and bio/chem II in spring of this year. I had previously been a computer sci major and changed when I re-enrolled in school after 6yrs. Any advise good or bad would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Organic I and II during a 10-week summer session at the U of Alaska Anchorage and received interviews at 3 top-50 schools (Mayo, U of Washington, Jefferson). I was accepted at Mayo, waitlised at UW, and declined the interview at Jefferson.

Go for it...

I took organic I and II plus lab during the summer, recieved 8 interviews and was accepted at a top 50. Some think that adcoms frown on summer required courses, but I think its a lot of premed hysteria and paranoia. I personally know of no school which specifically states that summer requirements are not accepted, and I doubt that it is looked down upon that much. Just take the course, do well, and you'll be fine.

Not that you should take EVERY requirement in the summer, but I think one or two is OK

This belief probably stems from the thought that summer classes are somehow "easier" because of the reduced timeframe, but this is BALONEY. If anything, it is MORE difficult to learn all of that information in such a short period of time, three hour classes, etc. Just ask anyone who has crammed all of orgo into one summer.

CJT

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, don't worry about the courses not counting in your gpa--on the amcas application it will factor everything in. I took Orgo I and II with the labs in one summer at my own university, so it actually transferred into my undergrad gpa as well.

Are you planningon taking both orgo and physics and labs together in one summer? i would imagine that could be very difficult.

I don't really think adcoms looks down on summer classes. I personally doubt they even scrutinize the application that closely to notice it, but who knows? If you do well, it will be fine.

I applied late and had 6 late interviews, so I haven't heard back from any of them yet. I did very well in orgo and always recommend it to anyone who wishes to take summer classes. It worked out really well for me.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice but do you really think that taking physics and org chem during the summer together is too much I was going to do both classes for both sessions of summer and these are my first science requirements that I will be taking during the summer

Are you taking labs with them? Lab was much more time consuming than lecture class was for me. If you aren't taking labs, it would be ok, but still quite difficult. Most people who only take orgo have a very tough time keeping up as it is. But if you think you can handle it, do it. :D I would never do it, though! And remember, you want to get A's ! You don't want to mess up your science gpa.

good luck

Hi there...I took Physics I and II over the summer, and I did fine with that. Adcoms might frown upon taking both physics and orgo over the summer, but as long as you have a reason for doing it, I am sure it is alright!!Good luck!