Med School Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafiate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying in June and was thinking about what schools to apply to. I really have no idea. I would like to stay in a big city, with lots of people and things to do. A good program in oncology and lots of research opportunities are also plus. Is there a list of top ranked schools or some kind of filter to select the med school you want. I live in California and therefore will apply to all the California schools. I will also apply to Harvard and John Hopkins just for the chance that maybe I'll get in. I have an avergage GPA and above average MCAT. I have 1.5 years of research and 1 year of hospital work. Where else do you suggest I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

apply to all private schools elsewhere

I think you need some critical sit-down time with your pre-med advisor. Or even the director of academic affairs at a medical school affiliated with your school (I'm assuming that you go to a school that has an affiliated medical school, which is a bit of an assumption).

It's difficult enough trying to go through the application process, doing it alone would definitely be a stretch....

i also suggest that you apply to a wide range of schools......applying to only top 10 schools isn't the best idea. As far as what schools, well, there are a lot of factors to look at....as in location, cost, curriculum, yada yada. Check out the MSAR for a comprehensive list of med schools and their stats/info