Med School Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieJohn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering, for my stats, what medical schools you think I would be suited for? You can view gpa/mcat on my md applications profile. I am not very interested in research medicine, and want to focus on patient care.

I plan on applying to the 7 MD schools in Texas (as I am a resident), and ~5 out of state schools. I don't have any preference as far as living in a big city/small city, west coast/east coast, hot/cold. As far as my personality, I consider myself a relatively laid back person, and so I'm not so sure that very rigorous schools would fit me very well, but would still consider schools that are comparable to Baylor or UTSW.

I appreciate any feedback, and I know some people will say "just go get MSAR," but some things you cannot get a feel for from the MSAR, personality, etc... I consider myself somewhat ignorant when it comes to medical schools in the US, and would like for others who know more than me to let me know what options are out there.

Members don't see this ad.

AggieJohn said:
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering, for my stats, what medical schools you think I would be suited for? You can view gpa/mcat on my md applications profile. I am not very interested in research medicine, and want to focus on patient care.

I plan on applying to the 7 MD schools in Texas (as I am a resident), and ~5 out of state schools. I don't have any preference as far as living in a big city/small city, west coast/east coast, hot/cold. As far as my personality, I consider myself a relatively laid back person, and so I'm not so sure that very rigorous schools would fit me very well, but would still consider schools that are comparable to Baylor or UTSW.

I appreciate any feedback, and I know some people will say "just go get MSAR," but some things you cannot get a feel for from the MSAR, personality, etc... I consider myself somewhat ignorant when it comes to medical schools in the US, and would like for others who know more than me to let me know what options are out there.

If you don't want to do research, then I would suggest going to one of the TX schools if you get in... So, for your out of states I'd focus on some schools that you would still be excited about going to but aren't "reach" schools... I would definitely apply to Tulane and maybe Vanderbilt if I was in your shoes...

Your stats are really good and your chances of gaining acceptance into one of your state schools is excellent. I would go with those 7 and then throw in 5 or more-- it's hard to say where you should apply. I would highly suggest going to the aamc's list of US medical schools and just checking out all the websites to see what institutions kind of turn you on to them. Apply early and widely and I'm sure you'll be fine unless you are cursed by god or something like that.

Btw, if you get into one of your state schools, you really ought to think about going there over a private schools. Texas schools are awesome, and in-state tuition is a blessing from above. Be grateful you have state schools... and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
Btw, if you get into one of your state schools, you really ought to think about going there over a private schools. Texas schools are awesome, and in-state tuition is a blessing from above. Be grateful you have state schools... and good luck!

I am definitely grateful for so many state schools :) I figure most likely if I get accepted to a state school, I will go there. I was told by my advisor to apply to a few out of state schools just to see, and I figure they could be a 'backup,' although the idea of an out of state school being my backup seems odd...

i would definately say your stats are pretty good. apply to all texas schools, which I doubt you will have a problem getting an acceptance at one in the Match. It's hard to tell you where to go if you have no preference in area. I'm a Texas resident and went to school in Louisiana, so applied to only schools in the South. For you, I'd say grab an MSAR and see where you fit in. I agree with the above for Vandy for out of Texas.

Hey - I was actually wanting to post a thread like this and didn't really have the guts. You can click on my mdapplicants profile at the bottom. I know no MCAT scores yet (I figure unless I really choke I can get a 32 or so...) I don't have any research experience (not really) and I'm really only interested in primary care.

Everything looks really good (even if you ARE an Aggie . . . j/k :p ).

Texas schools should be no problem for you, and yes apply to all of them. Also do Baylor. Out of state is a little harder. I am from Texas and applied to 5 in-state (no Tech or A&M, I can't do the rural thing) and 8 out of state, mostly based on location and my impression of the schools from hearsay, etc. so I guess I can't really help that much as far as specific suggestions. BUT I do have some advice: do look at the MSAR, and also check out school websites and even SDN, with a grain of salt. Definitely think about location, class schedules, specific areas of excellence, and figure out what's important to you in a school. This will help you narrow down the schools that you're interested in.

Apply as early as you can, and don't be afraid of applying to a school you like if the stats seem too high. The peace of mind that comes from applying everywhere you want to go is worth a little bit of extra money.

Good luck from a fellow Texan!

This question is off topic, but has anyone else noticed that the search function on MDApplicants is messed up? I type in the parameters where I should appear and I am never able to find myself (even though I include incomplete profiles).