Med School Textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dulop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be entering med school in the fall and although I realize the education and style of teaching varies dramatically across medical schools, I was just curious if there is a uniform textbook almost all students are taught from or what specific texts are used at most schools during the preclinical years. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, there are usually a few choices in each subject, especially in pre-clinical years. That said, you would do well to get a Netter.

Robbins' for Pathology is pretty common.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait until medschool starts and ask other upperclassman at your school whats good for your classes

Stay away from big fat textbooks unless it's a book that covers a very wide range of topics.

Board review books often contain all you need to know - even if you want to go further and read more, they're always a good place to start.

I just borrowed this one called 'Cracking the boards, USMLE Step 1' from the library, and I love how succint and straight to the point it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...f=pd_bbs_1/102-9996816-6510542?_encoding=UTF8

I don't know about Robbins Pathology - too much detail on the pathophysiology, not enough on the practicalities such as diagnosing, signs and symptoms and treatment. I'd say it's more for medical scientists than med students.

Ezekiel20 said:
I don't know about Robbins Pathology - too much detail on the pathophysiology, not enough on the practicalities such as diagnosing, signs and symptoms and treatment. I'd say it's more for medical scientists than med students.

I take back my comments about Robbins - I haven't used it during the recent cardiology block since I had other excellent books for that. But tonight I re-visited some chapters from Robbins (Basic Patho), and I had forgotten just how much I had learnt from that book. Sure it's light on symptoms/signs/labs/treatment, but it can't be beat for its clear coverage of pathogenesis.

dulop said:
I'll be entering med school in the fall and although I realize the education and style of teaching varies dramatically across medical schools, I was just curious if there is a uniform textbook almost all students are taught from or what specific texts are used at most schools during the preclinical years. Thanks.

Don't buy text books until classes start. In most cases you will use the textbook as a reference, not your primary study material, and given that, you probably could get away with any textbook for most subjects, as long as it covers the same info. The key is to wait and see what you can borrow or buy used. Also I think you can get Netters or other similar things free by signing up for various organizations and/or credit cards, so hold off on that until you know what people do at your school. If the implication is that you are hoping to buy your books early to get a head start -- don't.

Now that year 2 is almost over, there are only a handful of books I found indispensible.

Robbins Pathology - mostly because its a great reference and a must have for board study

Lippincott's Biochem

Moore's Anatomy & Netters Atlas
Vander's Renal
NMS or BRS physiology
Lilly's Pathophys of Heart Disease - awesome for 2nd year in organ based curriculum

Other than those books the syllabus and lectures were more or less adequate. I have yet to find a quality neuroantomy/phys/path book although haines atlas is a must have.

netter's atlas
lippincott biochem