Med school time during OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squished Rat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked this before and received answers on a few schools, but i am hoping to get some extra info i didn't previously have. As it is time to start filling out PASS, i was wondering what 6 yr OMFS programs have 24 months or less of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have asked this before and received answers on a few schools, but i am hoping to get some extra info i didn't previously have. As it is time to start filling out PASS, i was wondering what 6 yr OMFS programs have 24 months or less of med school?

OHSU = 19 months
UAB
LSU
LSU-Sh
MGH
UCONN
Maryland
Louisville
UMDNJ
Cant remember no more

UCLA is 24 mos

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is now 24 months.

Yeah, these ASDA guides are worthless and often out-dated.

Case Western Reserve Univ. OMFS only has 13 months of med school or something crazy.

Isn't there some sort of requirement of the number of weeks you spend on the wards to qualify for the MD??
I'm sure my PD told me 72 weeks was required (maybe only at UCLA). That's why at UCLA you only do half of 4th year...it gives you the minimum required and you can get back into residency.

Isn't there some sort of requirement of the number of weeks you spend on the wards to qualify for the MD??
I'm sure my PD told me 72 weeks was required (maybe only at UCLA). That's why at UCLA you only do half of 4th year...it gives you the minimum required and you can get back into residency.

To clarify....the 13 months are the months actually spent completiing core clerkships (peds, neuro, IM, FM, psych, ob/gyn, surgery). I am not sure if you need certain months of med school to qualify as a MD, but this is not a problem at Case as you are enrolled in med school starting from PGY I to PGY III. In PGY I, you only spend approx 1 month in med school completing physical diagnosis. Entire PGY II (12 months) is spent in completing above clerkships. PGY III, you are back on OMFS svc, but the 12 months PGY III months spent double dip for med school requirements and OMFS requirements. So even the total of 5 months spent in anesthesia during PGY I and III count towards your med school requirement, which means you don't need to waste your time doing AI's and etc which is pretty useless for OMFS. This is how you can complete your MD and OMFS requirements at 5 yrs at case. Double dipping requirements during your PGY III....pretty slick if you ask me.

To clarify....the 13 months are the months actually spent completiing core clerkships (peds, neuro, IM, FM, psych, ob/gyn, surgery). I am not sure if you need certain months of med school to qualify as a MD, but this is not a problem at Case as you are enrolled in med school starting from PGY I to PGY III. In PGY I, you only spend approx 1 month in med school completing physical diagnosis. Entire PGY II (12 months) is spent in completing above clerkships. PGY III, you are back on OMFS svc, but the 12 months PGY III months spent double dip for med school requirements and OMFS requirements. So even the total of 5 months spent in anesthesia during PGY I and III count towards your med school requirement, which means you don't need to waste your time doing AI's and etc which is pretty useless for OMFS. This is how you can complete your MD and OMFS requirements at 5 yrs at case. Double dipping requirements during your PGY III....pretty slick if you ask me.

Really slick. Does Nebraska do it the same way?

that's an awesome deal. so when do you get to wear short coat then?

that's an awesome deal. so when do you get to wear short coat then?

Short coat is worn occasionally during PGY I and full time during PGY II. July 27 = last day of med school for me...then comes the step II. And I believe Nebraska's program is similar to ours at Case....but not 100% sure on that. Anyone here who's at Nebraska?

So when do you take Step I at Case? At the end of PGY-I or prior to statring residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when do you take Step I at Case? At the end of PGY-I or prior to statring residency?

you take your step I prior to starting residency (july 1) after dental school graduation. Other programs that require step I right out of dental schools....UConn, Nebraska come to mind

Reactions: 1 user
you take your step I prior to starting residency (july 1) after dental school graduation. Other programs that require step I right out of dental schools....UConn, Nebraska come to mind

How bad was it taking Step 1 before residency?

Parkland is 25, but you do it in a span of 3 years. During certain periods in med school, you are going back and forth between omfs and stupid MD stuff. only 5 more months before I am done with being an MS bitch.

For OMFS residencies, is the time spent in medical school consecutive or is it split up into sections and distributed with the OMFS instruction? When you're in medical school, do you only go to med school and there's no OMFS experience? How does it differ by program generally?

Has anyone ever heard of OMS being offered similarly as ENT or Plastics as a possible rotation during medical school?

Do you think this would be a good thing for our specialty if more schools did? ... Possibly educating more doctors to be about the full scope of our specialty?

Maintaining that it will always be a dental specialty thus requiring a dental degree to practice.. do you support medical students who wish to do a combined oms+dental degree program?

Just curious

Has anyone ever heard of OMS being offered similarly as ENT or Plastics as a possible rotation during medical school?

Do you think this would be a good thing for our specialty if more schools did? ... Possibly educating more doctors to be about the full scope of our specialty?

Maintaining that it will always be a dental specialty thus requiring a dental degree to practice.. do you support medical students who wish to do a combined oms+dental degree program?

Just curious

I wouldn't want med students to rotate through. They need 4yrs of hazing like the rest of us before they can be considered on my level. :cool:

I heard from a buddy of mine that goes to UAB, OMS is an elective option for rotation.

OMFS is also an elective at parkland for med students

out of curiosity, how many med students (not OMFS med students), rotate thru your dept annually? Is this done as an A.I.?

What exactly is required for a dual qualified OMS to obtain their "FACS"?

LSU-Sh:

11 months of MSIII
4 months of MSIV (one of which is at the OMFS Faculty Clinic)

out of curiosity, how many med students (not OMFS med students), rotate thru your dept annually? Is this done as an A.I.?

None that I know of so far. MAybe toof knows of some. There is a girl in my class that may be taking it this year.

None that I know of so far. MAybe toof knows of some. There is a girl in my class that may be taking it this year.
is she blonde or went to harvard by any chance =)