Quantcast

Med School vs MPH first...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc.Holliday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit worried about my chances of acceptance to med school straight away, so part of this is simply me looking to paint getting the mph first as a better picture...

Ive come to the conclusion that an MPH is for me. Id thought about a masters in health administration, but for my purposes that would be overkill, and it takes 2 years as opposed to the one for the MPH. So it looks like an MPH with a concentration in health management is a perfect fit, its only a year, and would satisfy both my thirst for management skills and public health awareness.

Then comes the question of whether or not an MD/MPH or getting the MPH first is the better course to follow. As i plan on specializing in a competitive specialty, it seems that the MD/MPH would severely limit me in my choices for electives and make matching with a good residency program all the more difficult.

what do you all see as the benefits of each path? the combined degree programs highly regarded around here, but it seems to me that getting both simultaneously will undoubtedly involve sacrafices for both degrees. opinions please.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doc.Holliday said:
As i plan on specializing in a competitive specialty, it seems that the MD/MPH would severely limit me in my choices for electives and make matching with a good residency program all the more difficult.

Bear in mind that in med school you have relatively few "electives" -- it's not like college. You spend 2 years taking the courses that are going to be tested in Step 1. So not sure if we are really talking about electives or talking about adding a year on someplace.