Med school w/o caffeine, is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...i was curious to know if its really possible...can one go through med school w/o drinking a drop of coffee, coke, mountain dew, etc? Are all (or most) med students slaves to caffeine? Personally, I like the way coffee tastes but i prefer not to drink it b/c of caffeine's addictive effects. Look forward to any replies.. :)

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad.

I am the same way, I like the taste but don't want to get addicted, sometimes I will actually get non-caffeinated coffee. I just worry about not having it around if I'm addicted. Nobody has to drink caffeine, it's just a personal preference. You save a lot of money too if you don't drink coffee, that dollar or two a day adds up pretty quickly. You find other ways to keep yourself awake though.

Of course it's possible. Many of my classmates avoid it altogether. However, reconsider your addiction scare -- take a peek at the amount required daily to actually produce rebound headache and other symptoms upon withdrawal. A cup each morning, or a few cans the night of studying before a test, won't cause you irreparable harm or to become a "slave" to the drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I never learned to like coffee without major amounts of sugar and cream but do admit to a rather tidy Diet Pepsi habit. I was known for always having one (actually Diet Coke because that was all that was sold on campus) in lecture.

But there are far greater things to worry about than a possible addiction or additive affects of caffeine as Djanaba says.

Now tobacco keeps you alert. How about that habit for medical school sleepies?

Try chewing tobacco. Trust me, if you ever fall asleep and swaller some of that, you'll never, ever do it again. ;)

Possible, probably. Worth the sacrifice, heck no. That morning kick is just what I needed to get ready for lectures. But, I don't normally drink any after lunch. In order to prevent it from keeping me awake at night. And, during M3 after being up all night and having to work the next day, caffine is helpful in staying sharp and driving home.

Caffeine has no effect on me!! I don't drink it that regularly, but I'd have a mocha or something at night while I would be studying during undergrad -- nothing! If anything, I think it made me sleepier (the whole drinking a hot beverage thing). I feel left out...

What about this Red Bull drink? I have heard wonders about it, but am still wary of trying it. It supposedly contains Taurine and is effective in keeping one "up" without the jitters of caffeine. Any thoughts or opinions on this and what it does?

Actually there's a drink out there called Heineken that works wonders before the night of exams. It relaxes you and may give you a competitive edge. Then after the exam there's a drink called Niagara, it too gives you a competitive edge...but in another way.

Originally posted by lilycat:
•Caffeine has no effect on me!! I don't drink it that regularly, but I'd have a mocha or something at night while I would be studying during undergrad -- nothing! If anything, I think it made me sleepier (the whole drinking a hot beverage thing). I feel left out...•

Please don't. It doesn't do much for me either. I once drank a whole pot of mocha almond coffee (loaded with cream and sugar; I was trying to learn to like coffee) - my stomach ached somethin' fierce but I was still able to drop off to sleep. I drink so many Pepsis during the day because I've always been a thirsty gal and I like the taste - but when I go without them I don't notice much of a difference in my energy level.

Perhaps if I slept more?

:confused:

NO! Its not possible, and anyone who says it is is either delusional or they shave their heads and sell **** at the airport.

Don't drink coffee. Just make time for extra sleep by not going to class. That has always worked for me. Its the extra sleep that'll give you the edge.

FRESH SQUEEEEEZED ORANGE JUICE!!! LOTS OF IT! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was only for refined sugar. Isn't natural fructose ok though?

Originally posted by Mikado:
•I thought that was only for refined sugar. Isn't natural fructose ok though?•

Not according to Dr. Atkins. He prefers you avoid refined sugar, but all carbos should be limited in his view (generally < 40 g/day - most of us eat about 300 g/d). So 1 glass of juice or piece of fruit a day would be ok, but generally not recommended to use it as a regular drink. Basically you limit the carbs to force yourself into ketosis.

I'll explain more of his theory later if you like, I'm kinda tired right now.

I can tell you this for nothing. Dr. Atkins is up his own ass. Sure, refined sugar is not good. Its not even food. But anyone who says that eating fresh fruit is not good for you is not quite all there.

Before you read this 'theory' try and find a photograph of the good doctor who produced it. I'd be willing to bet any money he does not look too healthy.

I've not seen a picture of Dr. Atkins. But I did live with someone for a brief period of time who was a die-hard supporter of the Atkins diet. She swore by it, said it improved her image, she would refuse to eat anything but her mail order Atkins diet junk. The result? She still has yet to lose any weight at all, which was her primary goal in starting this diet.

Go figure. Any diet besides a "normal" diet is a fad.

Ah, forgot to mention about the Red Bull. I've never tried it myself but it's supposedly all the rage here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I did see a friend of mine stay on his feet at a club one night with just two cans throughout the night... and he'd had less than six hours of sleep the past three days. He also told me about another instance in which he consumed four cans of the stuff while completing a (procrastinated) paper due the next day and didn't go back to sleep until the next night. Super stuff? I think it's just him. He did say though that he doesn't get the caffeine jitters from Red Bull. I suppose you'll just have to try it for yourself, preferrably on a day when it doesn't matter if you'll be up all night, just in case. ;)

Don't let it be said that I was advocating the Atkins Diet in any form. Just making a little joke in reference to the extensive discussion we had about it on the "fat doctors?" thread.

But I have seen Dr. Atkins and he looks pretty healthy to me (of course I can't see his arteries) and he does not say that fresh fruit is bad for you - rather that the carbo load it provides can cause *some* people to gain weight. I have no evidence whether this is right or wrong, just mentioning it guys...I'm not a shill for the Atkins Diet by any means. :)

Thanks Socceroo for that input on the Red Bull! I was beginning to think that no one out there had heard of it!! I heard it was all the rage in LA as well. I guess I will put it on my shelf for an emergency late nighter. Unless, anyone else has any input that would deter me from doing so...? One has to wonder what the hell is in it....

Unless, anyone else has any input that would deter me from doing so...? One has to wonder what the hell is in it..

Sure, look on the side of the can and you'll see Taurine and Glucuronolactone as part of this wonderful concoction. Sounds mighty tasty, yes?

No coffee, no caffein.... NOOOOOO!!!!! :eek:

Yes, those ingredients sound delicious! But, does any one know what the heck they do?

Yes, those ingredients sound delicious! But, does any one know what the heck they do?

"Be like Arnold. Drink Red Bull."

Supposedly, this Austrian beverage improves performance and physical endurance, increases your stamina and mental alertness, and it stimulates your metabolism. It kinda makes drinks like Gatorade pale in comparison, no?

Personally, I prefer my sugar with coffee and cream along with a nice fresh box of Krispy Kremes.

:rolleyes :Dr. Atkins smokes factory recall crack. Drink your OJ in moderation and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the details wasabi! Maybe I'll wash down a box of Krispy Kremes with some Red Bull... :eek:

Red Bull didn't do anything for me while I was studying for the MCAT. But then again, I seem to be immune to caffeine-type stimulants anyways. However, Red Bull does go nicely with vodka...

We have "Jogging in a Jug" here in VA. Supposed to get exercise just by drinking it. What do ya think? :p

That sounds wierd! Is it filled with Taurine and other fun stuff as well? Have you tried it? Wild....I wonder if it also goes well with vodka... :p

Med School without coffee? I would say that is similar to erectile dysfunction. The mind may be willing, but the body is still asleep. I need my Maxwell House!! ;)

Originally posted by windex:
•That sounds wierd! Is it filled with Taurine and other fun stuff as well? Have you tried it? Wild....I wonder if it also goes well with vodka... :p

OH MY everyone I know drinks that stuff with Vodka... and they are up all night too. I don't like how it tastes though.

Is taurine just a stimulant like caffiene? Forgive me, I'm ignorant.

I am a big fan of coffe, but sometimes espicially now in the warmer weather, redbull is nice. Especially in a club.

Man, the Red Bull craze has officially swept the nation, because I saw it in a tiny dive of a bar in Southern Indiana last week. That's scary! I still have yet to try it.

As for the coffee thing, I skip it and go straight to the crystal meth when I can't stay awake to study. I find it gives me the jolt I need to saty alert and focused through the longs nights of MS1..... :D

(by the way, I'm kidding, but to be honest, I'm with you Kim -- hopelessly addicted to Diet Pepsi. Should we start a 12 step program?)

Originally posted by windex:
•That sounds wierd! Is it filled with Taurine and other fun stuff as well? Have you tried it? Wild....I wonder if it also goes well with vodka... :p

Dude, everything goes well with vodka. ;) Actually, for those of you who haven't tried Red Bull, I found that it most closely resembled the taste of Strawberry Crush. Personally, I think Red Bull was just developed so people wouldn't look silly ordering a Strawberry Crush & Vodka...

Originally posted by Mango:
•(by the way, I'm kidding, but to be honest, I'm with you Kim -- hopelessly addicted to Diet Pepsi. Should we start a 12 step program?)•

Well - I'll admit I have a problem - so there's your first step right there! ;)

I think I'll get a Red Bull today and try it - I've never had one either. Too bad there's no vodka in the house - I could just shut the doors and windows and drink the day away.

On that topic, since medical school my tolerance has dropped WAY off. I have one drink now and I feel hungover and dehydrated the next day. Its awful...can't even have a beer to celebrate. :(

Ok...the Red Bull experiment begins!

Here's the contents:
Carbonated Water
Sucrose
Glucose
Sodium Citrare
Taurine
Glucuronolactate
Caffeine
Inositol
Niacin
D-Pantothenol
Pyridozine HCL
Vit B12
Art. flavours
Colours

Cals:113
Fat: O
Na: 215 mg
CHO: 28g
Protein:0 (oh no, not on the Atkins Diet! ;) )
Niacin 100% RDA
Vit B6 250%
B12 83%
Pantothenic Acid 50%

It tastes pretty good. I would drink it for the taste (although I prefer not to add 113 calories for 8.3 oz). Label says it" Improves performance, especially during times of increased stress or strain. Increases endurance. Improves concentration and increases reaction speed. Stimulates the metabolism and helps to eliminate waste substances from the body (geez..can I get a crate of this stuff?). Red Bull's effects have been recognized by world class athletes, busy professionals, active students and long-distance drivers around the world. Awww...does this mean truckers are giving up meth for Red Bull? :D

Here's my 2 cents on Red Bull. I studied abroad in Salzburg in '94-5. They told us we couldn't buy the stuff in the States because it was illegal. Jenny, the elderly bartender and proprietor of our favorite local pub, used to mix Red Bull and Vodka for us; she called it a Penny Lane. Damn good stuff. I was surprised when I saw it for sale in the US in the last year.

Hey Kimberli!! You have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?? You MUST be on vacation, right before a grueling INTERNSHIP or something??? HMMM am I close??? ;)...Thanks for rewriting the Red Bull label for us! :) I have yet to try the stuff. I did not know that it was marketed for THAT though!...As for coffee, I drank it as a child (cafe au lait), but now I am au natural. I fear drinking it and getting, how shall we say it? Attached? I have no clue what I will do as an intern. I have not had a problem needing caffeine as a student, but 36 hour days? I don't know...Maybe Red Bull will become a must. I hope not (I don't really like strawberry...nor vodka for that matter)

Well, kiddiedoc - I think the experiment has FAILED.

It has been 1 and 3/4 hours since I drank the Red Bull and I feel no more refreshed, have no more endurance and my reaction times are nary different. I do not know, however, whether waste substances are being eliminated from my body anymore than usual.

I have approximately 7 more weeks of vacation - although I might subtract a week, as I'm not sure a drive across country with my parents in a moving van qualifies as a vacation!! :eek:

yikes! drive across country??? well, uhhhh...ENJOY!! :)
Well darn, so the RB thing did not work for you?? I better look into some other poisons. I should have gone for a NY residency program (Bell Commission and no more than 24 hour shifts) I could have done THAT unaided. Oh well, too late now...SEVEN weeks!! that is a long time..have fun. Lord knows you won't see seven weeks off in a very very long time!

Thanks Kimberli for the Red Bull testimony! Next time you should try a double blinded study with a control group and a protocol of specific tasks pre and post drinking...how's that for filling up a summer's day! ;)
I also heard that it was "illegal" in certain states, however, I'm not sure if that is just hype. Anyway, thanks again for the Red Bull feedback!

Well, yes - obviously not a randomized, double-blind placebo controlled study.

I was a bit disappointed - I expected at least a little lift, but I guess its probably for the better - after all, I can't go around drinking those extra calories every day can I? I could actually take a nap right about now.

I've done the cross country drive before with my mother, and 13 years later still shivver thinking about it! :p So I AM going to enjoy the break before it and residency.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
•I do not know, however, whether waste substances are being eliminated from my body anymore than usual.•

You mean you weren't taking urine samples periodically? I fear that your results may be questioned do to your lack of complete data. I know that my confidence in your methods is less than acceptable... ;)

JUST KIDDDING, your posts cracked me up. Good to know that somebody was having fun while I was sitting in cerebellum lectures on this beautifull day! :(