Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Med School w/o Ophtho Dept??

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by bayberry, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bayberry

MD/PhD Student
    I have a question for those of you who have applied or will apply to ophtho residency programs. This is probably a bit premature for me since I am still deciding on med school to attend this fall, but I would like to have my options open.

My question is, if I end up wanting to go into ophtho, will attending a school w/o an ophtho department make my life more difficult when applying for residency?

How important or unimportant is it to attend a med school with the specialty dept that you want to go in?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ryangeraets

ryangeraets Junior Member

I was able to match into Ophtho from a school without a department, but I can tell you that if you have options, it will probably help considerably if you go to a place where they have a department. The practical education you could get from current residents and faculty would be incredibly valuable when it comes time to apply, not to mention the exposure to both clinical and bench research that would be available to you before you get to point of applying.

Good luck with your decision!

4. eyerepairman

Helps, not required. I've met someone who matched at a good ophthalmology residency that went to such a medical school.

What medical schools don't have ophthalmology residencies and/or departments?

Is this list accurate? I know it isn't complete.
    many D.O. schools
    University of New Mexico
    UHS/Finch (Chicago)
    Toledo, Ohio
    Southern Illinois
    East Carolina
    Dartmouth (department, no residency)
    South Dakota
    Hawaii
    Vermont
    New Jersey - Robert Wood Johnson (not Newark)
    South Alabama
    Connecticut
    Illinois - Peoria
    Massachusetts
    Michigan State

Oh my, there's so many and probably many more.

5. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member

Attending Physician
    I'd imagine you'd have a much easier time if you go to a school with an ophtho department.

6. bayberry

MD/PhD Student
    Thanks for the great input everyone! I am specifically considering between UIC (Chicago campus) vs. UVM. I just found out that UVM has a ophtho department but no residency program.

Between UIC and UVM, which school would your recommend and why?

Thanks! :)

7. guttata

guttata Member

I'd recommend UIC. It has a pretty good reputation and most likely, the faculty will be more connected. Connections probably help quite a bit in this small field (I went to a lesser known medical school so I can't speak from firsthand). Besides, in general, a stronger program will have more clinical and research opportunities.

8. DOapplicant

DOapplicant Senior Member

as a disclaimer i would say that picking a medical school should really be based on a multi-factorial process.

that being said, if you are somehow already 100% sure you want to be an ophthalmologist: by picking the school with the stronger dept. you will are more likely to have better options in terms or research and networking opportunities.

as the above poster has stated, this is a small field (ie, well-known, influential academicians tend to know each other well; sometimes personally). having a dept. w/faculty that are highly regarded and well-connected can take you a very long way should you decide to apply for a residency in ophthalmology.

good luck to you.

9. bayberry

MD/PhD Student
    Thanks for your input everyone! I know that choosing a medical school depends on a lot of factors. You have definitely helped me understand the opportunities that inherently come with having an ophtho dept or any other specialty dept that I may become interested later on!

Best of luck with your success! Thanks so much for your advice! :D