Med School Wisdom Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnamakeit1day

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a 2nd year student at an Ivy. I'm planning on majoring in either biology or neuroscience. I had a lackluster freshman year, ending with a 3.28 overall but a 2.7 science GPA (due to B- in both chem 1 and 2 an B's in all of my other science classes). After this semester, I have a 3.3 overall and a 2.9 science gpa. Right now, I'm trying to think about what I should do for this summer. I was thinking about applying to summer programs, but with the intense competition, I'm wondering if it is still worth my time and effort if there are many students with better grades and more experience than me. Other than research, I was thinking of shadowing a family friend, who is an OB/GYN and/or taking an EMS course at a community college near my home over the summer. I think what I'm getting at is: would I be at a huge disadvantage if I waited even longer to start doing research. I was thinking no because both of the majors I'm thinking of pursuing have "research for credit" courses, usually completed during junior/senior year. Is this the correct train of thought? Am I waiting too long to get into research? Will this hurt me in the long run? I'm not trying to go Ivy for med school. My dream med school is actually my state's flagship.

I couldn't find any similar threads. If there are some, feel free to point me in that direction!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say your GPA is not looking great at the moment. Did you count math classes in sGPA?

You'll need to really bring that GPA up to a minimum of 3.5. The current average for admitted students is around 3.65, and that number is only increasing with each passing year. Obviously, an above average MCAT will compensate for a sub-average GPA. Struggling academically your freshman year can be overlooked, your sophomore year less so.

Shadowing is fine, EMS is good as it can help you get your foot in the door for other healthcare experiences. I didn't do research until junior year of college so I don't think when you start makes much difference, and it's fine not focus on research if you aren't trying to go to a top 20 school.

Reactions: 1 user
Research experience is pretty much required for the top schools and merely a "plus" (not required, but cool) for the mid- and lower-tiered. If you're gunning for your state school, research shouldn't be high on your priorities. Focus more on your grades.

How's your clinical/non-clinical volunteering and other EC's? These will be more crucial than doing research.

Definitely pursue shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
PM'd
My start in college sounded very similar to yours so hope I can help!

Research experience is pretty much required for the top schools and merely a "plus" (not required, but cool) for the mid- and lower-tiered. If you're gunning for your state school, research shouldn't be high on your priorities. Focus more on your grades.

How's your clinical/non-clinical volunteering and other EC's? These will be more crucial than doing research.

Definitely pursue shadowing.
My ECs are lacking as well, but I know that I can improve on those eventually. I've done hospital volunteering, a part of a mental health advocacy group. I'm also a part of a theater troupe. Next semester, I was planning on rushing a Alpha Phi Omega, a service fraternity. I know that I will also run for some leadership position within the advocacy group this coming semester. I want to join more, but I'm scared of spreading myself too thin.

Hi! I'm currently a 2nd year student at an Ivy. I'm planning on majoring in either biology or neuroscience. I had a lackluster freshman year, ending with a 3.28 overall but a 2.7 science GPA (due to B- in both chem 1 and 2 an B's in all of my other science classes). After this semester, I have a 3.3 overall and a 2.9 science gpa. Right now, I'm trying to think about what I should do for this summer. I was thinking about applying to summer programs, but with the intense competition, I'm wondering if it is still worth my time and effort if there are many students with better grades and more experience than me. Other than research, I was thinking of shadowing a family friend, who is an OB/GYN and/or taking an EMS course at a community college near my home over the summer. I think what I'm getting at is: would I be at a huge disadvantage if I waited even longer to start doing research. I was thinking no because both of the majors I'm thinking of pursuing have "research for credit" courses, usually completed during junior/senior year. Is this the correct train of thought? Am I waiting too long to get into research? Will this hurt me in the long run? I'm not trying to go Ivy for med school. My dream med school is actually my state's flagship.

I couldn't find any similar threads. If there are some, feel free to point me in that direction!! Thanks!

It is one thing to get started on some shadowing and figuring out if medical school is the right direction to go in, but you need to focus on learning how to learn. A 3.3/2.9 does not typically translate into a medical school acceptance, regardless of ECs. Likewise, while I am a relatively research oriented individual, it will never make up for the fact that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of academics.

Medical training is a long road, full of academic requirements. The expectation is that on day one of medical school that you have your study skills in place. Your biggest disadvantage is your abysmal grades and the gap between it and the next area is huge. You are best served by spending your summer taking classes, but more importantly seeking out resources that are going to help you learn how to study this summer, next year, the year after that and beyond.

You can also stop calling them "Ivy med school" or that you go to "an Ivy". It doesn't do you any favors, especially when you are struggling.

Reactions: 1 users