Med School: Worth it for the chicks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChipChi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do lady folk show a lot more interest in you when you are in medical school and on your way to becoming a doctor?

I'm a good looking guy with a Australian accent. If I go to med school, will it be like shooting fish in a barrel at that point?

Members don't see this ad.

Do lady folk show a lot more interest in you when you are in medical school and on your way to becoming a doctor?

I'm a good looking guy with a Australian accent. If I go to med school, will it be like shooting fish in a barrel at that point?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=827499

-You can dress Mr. Hanky in the finest clothing, spray him with the finest fragrances, but in the end, he's still Mr. Hanky. :D :rolleyes: ;)

Depends on what kind of fish you are aiming for....by the sounds of it, I wouldn't date you :rolleyes: But sure, there is a certain type that will be attracted to a medical student. Keep in mind, that same type tends to dump medical students when they get to clinical years and drop off the face of the earth.

Honestly, you should aim for law school instead - fewer years of training.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sure you'll do fine without med school.

tumblr_mihtk6Uw3P1rjexaxo2_400.gif

02031.jpg

Yes, it will help to be a doctor/in med school. However, if this is you, you'd be able to score more with a job that has less time constraints.

Call me maybe?

Go to a med school that also has a school of Pharmacy :naughty:

or...PT, Nursing, PA, Optometry, Podiatry, Veterinary......interesting how every health profession outside of DDS and MD is female dominated :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Your priorities are obviously in the right place. You should totally go to medical school.

Good luck on the MCAT and your upper level science classes once you develop some critical thinking skills.

Lol, medical school could help with ladies. It shows that you're focused, driven, and goal oriented. What woman doesn't want that? If you're a arrogant jerk that thinks women will like you SOLELY because you're in medicine you're a fool.

Wow! Your priorities are obviously in the right place. You should totally go to medical school.

Good luck on the MCAT and your upper level science classes once you develop some critical thinking skills.

Why would you assume that I haven't taken the MCAT yet? I graduated in 2012 and got a 35 :)

Why would you assume that I haven't taken the MCAT yet? I graduated in 2012 and got a 35 :)

Sure ya did. ;)

And I bet you are a millionaire and extraordinarily well endowed in addition to the other claims you have made.

Honestly...almost every young male doctor I (used to) work with have pulled the "I'm a doctor" card with women. It works, and I've seen it. Especially on waitresses and bartenders. It's tactless, but it works.

I would never date a doctor personally. You basically can expect no free/personal time, never home, phone constantly ringing off the hook when you're trying to sleep at night. if you want money and no hubby at home, then maybe marrying a doc is for you.

Honestly...almost every young male doctor I (used to) work with have pulled the "I'm a doctor" card with women. It works, and I've seen it. Especially on waitresses and bartenders. It's tactless, but it works.

Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger...

Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger...

There are so many other qualities about doctors that are attractive. Theoretically, they're smart, ambitious, caring, ethical, etc. But any ladies out there who are interested in doctors for those reasons need come read these forums to see the disappointing truth.

To be honest the benefit is more in the (much) enhanced self confidence of pursuing an awesome career.

Confidence >>>>>>times a million>>> anything else

but being on the doc path helps with that swaag

There are so many other qualities about doctors that are attractive. Theoretically, they're smart, ambitious, caring, ethical, etc. But any ladies out there who are interested in doctors for those reasons need come read these forums to see the disappointing truth.

What do you mean? What does the forum have to do with it?

Look it at it from the girl's perspective:

"Hey baby, I'm a med student. That means I'm going to be a doctor someday. Right now that day is far off and I'm currently devoid of any income while I dig myself into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. Also, I have little free time. And in a few more years I'm going to have even less free time and while I will actually be making money at that point, it'll be less than the national median. However, in about 8 years time I'll be making good money, although granted for the first 3-10 years most of it will be going back to paying off that massive debt I was talking about earlier. But hey, hook up with me right now and in 20 years you'll have a hell of a life. Think of it as an investment ;)

Future doctor != doctor

Look it at it from the girl's perspective:

"Hey baby, I'm a med student. That means I'm going to be a doctor someday. Right now that day is far off and I'm currently devoid of any income while I dig myself into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. Also, I have little free time. And in a few more years I'm going to have even less free time and while I will actually be making money at that point, it'll be less than the national median. However, in about 8 years time I'll be making good money, although granted for the first 3-10 years most of it will be going back to paying off that massive debt I was talking about earlier. But hey, hook up with me right now and in 20 years you'll have a hell of a life. Think of it as an investment ;)

Future doctor != doctor

If you actually think that is anywhere near the thought process that goes on when you talk to a girl at the bar, you're missing the mark completely. I noticed a lot of people around here are extremely short on the concept of being in medical school helping in any way.

I'm not there yet, but in my opinion, it would affect the calculation by establishing that you're smart and you're going places, and hence, are slightly more desirable. It's not a huge deal, and it probably isn't going to make the difference if you're already struggling in social situations, but I don't understand how anyone could think it isn't a plus. And it sounds marginally more interesting than "I work for some big accounting/consulting/O&G/etc firm".

PS why on earth would you expect random girls at bars to know the ins and outs of medical training, education, and the trajectory of US healthcare? I mean, have you not seen the "quotes from less informed premeds" thread? And those people are actually interested in the field...

If you actually think that is anywhere near the thought process that goes on when you talk to a girl at the bar, you're missing the mark completely. I noticed a lot of people around here are extremely short on the concept of being in medical school helping in any way.

I'm not there yet, but in my opinion, it would affect the calculation by establishing that you're smart and you're going places, and hence, are slightly more desirable. It's not a huge deal, and it probably isn't going to make the difference if you're already struggling in social situations, but I don't understand how anyone could think it isn't a plus. And it sounds marginally more interesting than "I work for some big accounting/consulting/O&G/etc firm".

PS why on earth would you expect random girls at bars to know the ins and outs of medical training, education, and the trajectory of US healthcare? I mean, have you not seen the "quotes from less informed premeds" thread? And those people are actually interested in the field...

+1

A personal anecdote.

I went out last night with a few friends. Met my buddy's really cute friends who asked me what I did.

Told them I was going to go to be a doctor and I was interested in surgery.
One of the girls mentioned wanting to get a boob job and asked my opinion on the matter...
And I just carried on the conversation from there.

And I am shy about hitting on random girls. So as long as you're not socially awkward, it can definitely make you stand out. If I was an accountant, I doubt she would ask me my opinion on a 401K or a Roth IRA :rolleyes:

I agree with this. OCD, you're over thinking it. The girls may think smart + has future of a med school student.

+1

A personal anecdote.

I went out last night with a few friends. Met my buddy's really cute friends who asked me what I did.

Told them I was going to go to be a doctor and I was interested in surgery.
One of the girls mentioned wanting to get a boob job and asked my opinion on the matter...
And I just carried on the conversation from there.

And I am shy about hitting on random girls. So as long as you're not socially awkward, it can definitely make you stand out. If I was an accountant, I doubt she would ask me my opinion on a 401K or a Roth IRA :rolleyes:

:love: she sounds like a prize. Hope that worked out well for you

...did she need a boob job? Be honest.

I never drop my career aspirations in a convo and I still get good conversions.

I never drop my career aspirations in a convo and I still get good conversions.

You make it sound like the only way your career path/what you're doing with your life etc could come up in conversation with a person you just met is if you're being pretentious.

It's like the person who always comments saying he never reveals what he got on tests to classmates - it's one thing to not bring it up, but what, do you awkwardly refuse to answer a question if you're asked directly?

You make it sound like the only way your career path/what you're doing with your life etc could come up in conversation with a person you just met is if you're being pretentious.

It's like the person who always comments saying he never reveals what he got on tests to classmates - it's one thing to not bring it up, but what, do you awkwardly refuse to answer a question if you're asked directly?

It just never comes up in conversations....at least when I'm flirting haha :p

I've told girls that I'm a janitor before just to see how they will react as opposed to telling them about my actual educational background. If you're good enough looking/charming it won't matter what you do for a living.

P.S. Don't lie to people...I did this purely as a sociological experiment...strictly scientific ;)

That's cool. Or you could just talk to girls like regular people, instead of test subjects. Whatever works for you bro.

I've told girls that I'm a janitor before just to see how they will react as opposed to telling them about my actual educational background. If you're good enough looking/charming it won't matter what you do for a living.

P.S. Don't lie to people...I did this purely as a sociological experiment...strictly scientific ;)

So would it be lying if med students say they're doctors? :smuggrin:

LOL. I think trying to talk to anyone like a human being at a bar is futile. If I meet a girl in a library, coffee shop, gym, etc. I will speak to them normally...if I'm at a bar then I'm speaking in a British accent and pretending I'm a Lord or I am going straight Spanish and pretending I just got off the boat from Colombia (or insert other Spanish speaking country) cause truth be told, I probably never want to talk to anyone I meet in a bar outside of a bar setting lol, be it dude or girl...so it's fun just to mess with people

I see what you mean, nothing wrong with some amusing/spontaneous antics while out at the bars. But I don't really get your point about not wanting to ever talk to girls again because you met them out.

Most girls go to libraries, coffee shops, gyms, and, yes, bars, sometimes all in the same day. I don't see why you think they transform into people you wouldn't want to see again the moment they order a cherry vodka sour. But hey, different strokes.

I see what you mean, nothing wrong with some amusing/spontaneous antics while out at the bars. But I don't really get your point about not wanting to ever talk to girls again because you met them out.

Most girls go to libraries, coffee shops, gyms, and, yes, bars, sometimes all in the same day. I don't see why you think they transform into people you wouldn't want to see again the moment they order a cherry vodka sour. But hey, different strokes.

Interesting choice.
My go-to is vodka cranberry.

I won't get into my philosophy on relationships, but basically I feel that first impression is everything and if you meet someone out at a bar then you're starting things off in a particular mindset that I think will carry throughout the time you know them. Whereas if you meet them somewhere like class or the library, you can get to know them in a sober state and have a more meaningful connection before you decide to turn up at the bar.

Do people marry people that they met in a bar? Sure. But for me, my experiences have been that if you meet someone in a party setting you're probably gonna have a party type relationship and if you meet someone in a more serious setting you'll prob have a more serious type situation.

Hey, if you're still young and looking for a chick to go bar hoppin with you then right on...I'm just a little bit older and over that kinda scene.

I feel you. I'm just a few months removed from the college bar/greeklife scene. Definitely a different perspective.

Interesting choice.
My go-to is vodka cranberry.

Trust me it is the holy grail of drinks when it comes to ordering drinks for girls. I can't even tell you how many wide-eyed freshman girls have been wowed by my selection of this top tier girl cocktail for them. Older girls are savvy. Usually the better choice in that situation is a vodka-soda/vodka-water. Classy and more mature.

What do you mean? What does the forum have to do with it?

Is it not obvious? I can tell you as a girl that this forum proves that wannabe doctors are not necessarily nice people that you'd want to date. Like just reading this thread is a big turn off.

Is it not obvious? I can tell you as a girl that this forum proves that wannabe doctors are not necessarily nice people that you'd want to date. Like just reading this thread is a big turn off.

I mean, what does or doesn't turn you on isn't really relevant. You said the forum demonstrates that people (or maybe just guys) interested in medicine are not in fact smart, ambitous, caring, or ethical. Other than perhaps some slightly questionable ethics, I don't see anything in this thread that would impugn these attributes.

I'm sorry you find us so disappointing.

I mean, what does or doesn't turn you on isn't really relevant. You said the forum demonstrates that people (or maybe just guys) interested in medicine are not in fact smart, ambitous, caring, or ethical. Other than perhaps some slightly questionable ethics, I don't see anything in this thread that would impugn these attributes.

I'm sorry you find us so disappointing.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. There are a lot of really cynical, racist, sexist, mean, whiny things being written on this forum every day and it makes you think: all these people are probably going to be doctors eventually. Consequently, doctors have become less sexy to me because the illusion that they have all of those positive qualities is shattered. :(

Dudes clown...especially with other dudes...nothing to be taken too seriously IMO

What do you mean by "clown" though? If it means that men casually denigrate women when they think there are no women listening, then that's really unattractive.