Med schools and AP credit for coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestralray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted and have been perusing the secondaries pages for the schools I applied to, and now I'm worried about not having the right prereqs for schools. For example, UCLA says "AP credit will not be accepted for completion of required courses."

I placed out of gen chem with a 5 on the AP. I knew people who took it anyway later, but I thought that it was kind of shady because they did it to boost their GPA, and I preferred to take new (bio) courses about things I was interested in. I took 1 year of organic chem and 1 quarter of biochem and lots of upper level bio courses. I also did fairly well on the PS section of the MCAT (though I doubt that matters).

I didn't just place out of gen chem, though, my school gave me a year's worth of credit (it says CEEB APE whatever that means)

My school also has everyone take a math placement test during orientation, and I placed into the 3rd quarter of calc, so I only took the 3rd quarter, since that was all that the school required. I took and got 5s on AP calc and AP stats... though neither are on my transcript. TT_TT I think my school didn't accept the stat credit. and the placement test took the place of the calc AP.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I've already graduated. And I really don't plan on taking another math/year's worth of chemistry just for kicks.

Am I just screwed for UCLA and certain other schools? This can't be that uncommon, can it? :(

Members don't see this ad.

If a school requires you to take it as part of your undergraduate coursework then you are SOL. All of that information is on each school's admission page.

I just submitted and have been perusing the secondaries pages for the schools I applied to, and now I'm worried about not having the right prereqs for schools. For example, UCLA says "AP credit will not be accepted for completion of required courses."

I placed out of gen chem with a 5 on the AP. I knew people who took it anyway later, but I thought that it was kind of shady because they did it to boost their GPA, and I preferred to take new (bio) courses about things I was interested in. I took 1 year of organic chem and 1 quarter of biochem and lots of upper level bio courses. I also did fairly well on the PS section of the MCAT (though I doubt that matters).

I didn't just place out of gen chem, though, my school gave me a year's worth of credit (it says CEEB APE whatever that means)

My school also has everyone take a math placement test during orientation, and I placed into the 3rd quarter of calc, so I only took the 3rd quarter, since that was all that the school required. I took and got 5s on AP calc and AP stats... though neither are on my transcript. TT_TT I think my school didn't accept the stat credit. and the placement test took the place of the calc AP.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I've already graduated. And I really don't plan on taking another math/year's worth of chemistry just for kicks.

Am I just screwed for UCLA and certain other schools? This can't be that uncommon, can it? :(

For chem/bio, upper level courses are the way to go, if you've already got credit for the lower levels sciences. I'm not really sure what most people do about math. I don't think this will screw you over, but you may want to consider contacting those schools to ask how they will interpret that.

Members don't see this ad :)
For chem/bio, upper level courses are the way to go, if you've already got credit for the lower levels sciences. I'm not really sure what most people do about math. I don't think this will screw you over, but you may want to consider contacting those schools to ask how they will interpret that.

does this mean i can sub upper level bio courses for chem? :xf:

OP - I'm in the same situation and recently called UCLA with this question. I was told that a semester of Biochem could count toward half of their Gen Chem requirement, but that I would still be short a semester of Gen Chem. They are the only school that I've found to be this strict with their no-AP-credit policy.

does this mean i can sub upper level bio courses for chem? :xf:

Biochem would work. Organic chem as well. But as another poster has said UCLA is somewhat anal about this sort of thing. Call them.

Biochem would work. Organic chem as well. But as another poster has said UCLA is somewhat anal about this sort of thing. Call them.

OChem is usually a separate requirement, right?

OP I had the same problem and talked to my advisors about it last year, they said I needed to actually retake the classes. So I had to cram 2 semesters of g-chem into my last semester. I agree that it's stupid, but you're probably screwed unless you took other upper chem classes

OP I had the same problem and talked to my advisors about it last year, they said I needed to actually retake the classes. So I had to cram 2 semesters of g-chem into my last semester. I agree that it's stupid, but you're probably screwed unless you took other upper chem classes

True. I am not terribly familiar with UCLA's specific requirements, though I do remember them as oddly specific.

*still searching for a phone number*

if, hypothetically, I decided to take another two chem classes..... what about math? I guess I'd have to take more math too. Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have applied there.....

Is UCLA the only one this anal? Are there other schools that you guys know of off the top of your heads that this might screw me over for. :(

Man, that sucks. I hope you at least got a GPA boost out of the mess. :)

Sorry to essentially spam the thread. I did call, they are strict. I guess I was just hoping for some magic loophole. :(

Since I wasn't expecting this and have submitted my application already, is it too late to sign up for extra classes now (I work for a university so I can take classes heavily discounted) when I haven't listed any intention to on my app?

Of course, I don't think this is worth it for just UCLA (I'm OOS anyway).....but I guess I'll go check the other schools now.

Sorry to essentially spam the thread. I did call, they are strict. I guess I was just hoping for some magic loophole. :(

Since I wasn't expecting this and have submitted my application already, is it too late to sign up for extra classes now (I work for a university so I can take classes heavily discounted) when I haven't listed any intention to on my app?

Of course, I don't think this is worth it for just UCLA (I'm OOS anyway).....but I guess I'll go check the other schools now.

Yes, you can always submit an update letter. The real question is whether it's worth your time and money considering you haven't even been invited to interview yet.