SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Med Schools and AP credits

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mikkey, May 11, 2007.

1. mikkey

mikkey 7+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey
    What schools don't accept AP credits for the basic requirements? Can't seem to find this with the basic function.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CATallergy

CATallergy 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    best thread, but don't know up-to-date the info is
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=287850

anyone, feel free to add if you know something new

4. spospo

spospo Going to extremes 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    every school i applied to (check mdapps) took my AP credits. I had them in english, history, and calc though. no sciences.

speaking of AP stuff, i had a dream about that last night. weird. that was 4 years ago.

5. mikkey

mikkey 7+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey
    I should have mentioned that the courses were all the required sciences like chem, bio, phyisics and math and that retaking them is not an option. I have also not done more coursework in physics and gen chem.

6. spospo

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    if you haven't taken anything more in those classes, that might be a bit of a problem. i can see them letting the bio and math go if you have taken more of these types of classes in college, but if you haven't taken physics or chem in college, they might be a bit skeptical. are you going to/have you take ochem? if you take 2 semesters of that, i am sure that is fine for them. this will show that you could handle it in college and not just as AP. as for physics, i don't know what to tell you. did you get credit from AP for 2 semesters of it?

7. veenut

veenut 10+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2004
    best bet is to call each school's admissions office and describe your situation. i did this and had to eliminate a couple of schools from my list when i applied

8. mikkey

mikkey 7+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey
    I did both Org 1 and Org 2 in University, so according to what you said I should be fine. I however don't have any physics at a university level. I did 3 courses of Physics but only got credit for 2 when I started.
    Would I find this info on school websites or should I call the schools?
    And Veenut, if you don't mind me asking, which schools did you have to remove from your list? It might save me some time.
    Thanks

9. kakashi74

kakashi74 2+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2006
    My college transcript shows the number of AP credits, but does not list the courses I got credit for. Therefore if I claim AP credit for Bio, is there any way that AMCAS or med schools can find out whether or not the AP credit is from Bio or from US History?

note: I've already been accepted to a med school and I did not do this, but I've always wondered about this.

10. mikkey

mikkey 7+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey
    The lady at AMCAS told me that what we entered on the AMCAS application has to be exactly the same as your transcript, so I don't know how you pulled that off...

11. mvenus929

mvenus929 Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    My school tells me that there's a certain form you have to request. I'll be requesting my transcripts straight from the office on Monday after my last final.

12. Patel1268

Patel1268 New Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    I have AP credits in History, chem, and bio. I got a 3 in History so I couldnt use that to count as credits in college, so I was wondering, will the grades I received in that course still affect my GPA? And for the 4s I got in bio and chem, those grades will be counted in my science GPA since I used those credits towards college, correct?

13. mikkey

mikkey 7+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey
    AP grades don't count. Or so its written in the AMCAS MCAT info booklet...

14. spospo

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    just be sure that your spring grades are in before they send your transcript. you don't want to find out 6 weeks from now that things are a little screwed up because you had your transcript sent in a little too early.

15. Patel1268

Jul 31, 2006
    I am enrolled in a school that goes by quarters. This means that spring grades wont be in until after june 7th. So does this mean I should hold off on sending the transcript or should I go ahead and send it out? It takes a while for the transcript to be processed or what not, so I want to send it this week instead of waiting another 3 weeks. What should I do? Thanks.

16. mvenus929

mvenus929 Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    Well, there's an option online to hold them until semester grades are released... I imagine it's the same in person, but if not, at least I'll find out what I need to do to get both sheets in.

17. spospo

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    yeah, that's nice. my school didn't have that option. i think that may have just confused them if i told them to wait.

as for you patel, i don't know what to say. when are you first allowed to submit AMCAS?? i would say just to wait. last year, i submitted on june 20th after the release of april MCAT scores. it was verified on the 30th. 10 days was a pretty good time seeing as how a lot of people submitted at about that time. at my school, they can get the transcript sent by the next business day; are you sure it takes your school a while? you could ask for it now but tell them to not send until spring grades are in. a week or two delay really isn't that bad. if you are verified before or during july, you are doing just fine.

18. Smile193

Smile193 New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    i can see with science classes that its good to take them in college...

but for schools with an english requirement, does AP English Lit cover that? or do they want to see another english class at college?

19. Patel1268

Jul 31, 2006
    Thanks for replying spospo. Well I am sure my school doesn't take too long in sending it out, but I thought it took a while for the AMCAS people to verify everything with what you put on the application. Thats why I had this question. The longer I wait, the later AMCAS will verify my application with my transcript? AMCAS submission begins on or around june 5th by the way. I wanted to submit my application within a couple days after.

20. spospo

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    i would say go talk to the office that sends your transcripts and ask if you can put the request in now for them to send it once your spring grades are in. do that, it will take the grades, what...3-5 days to get there. AMCAS will tell you they have it, you will hit submit, some time later you will be verified. if they can't do that, then wait til your grades are in and then request it to be sent. honestly, 1-2 weeks still this early in the process isn't going to make that big of a difference. if this was 2 months we were talking about, that would be a different story.