Med Schools and Location!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some med schools that are located in an urban setting that are very accomodating for students who do not or can not drive?:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that U of Chicago is a great school to go to if you don't have a car. They have a very nice shuttle system and most students live within five blocks of the school, so if you don't want to walk home late at night, you can always take the shuttle. The neighborhood isn't so metropolitan, but it is feasible to go downtown if you want to go out.

Hopkins isn't too bad either--we have a shuttle system that picks up from 3 or 4 different neighborhoods, so as long as you can walk to the shuttle stop, it's not too bad. I'm going to be dorming this year, so I'll be living right across the street from the hospital/campus. But even with apartments, it's not too hard to find one in one of the 4 areas. Oh yeah, and we're located in Baltimore--the "greatest city in America"...that's what our public benches say. :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by JulianCrane
What are some med schools that are located in an urban setting that are very accomodating for students who do not or can not drive?:)

Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Einstein, Downstate, Penn, Temple, MCPH, Jefferson, UCSF.. plus many others most likley in Chicago, maybe Tulane, how about Georgetown, Wash U, etc..

First hand, NYC has excellent public transportation and SF isn't all that bad.

Originally posted by souljah1

Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Einstein, Downstate, Penn, Temple, MCPH, Jefferson, UCSF.. plus many others most likley in Chicago, maybe Tulane, how about Georgetown, Wash U, etc..

First hand, NYC has excellent public transportation and SF isn't all that bad.

You *could* do WashU without a car but St Louis has essentially no public transport and the university shuttle system is very limited. You would also be very, very bored - St Louis is not the most exciting place in the first place, but what is here is very spread out so without a car I can't imagine living here.