Med schools basically don't give a rat's a$$ about undergrad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Doctorcita! I really wish I were more computer-literate. :wink:

Members don't see this ad.

BowB4Jeff,
NU plans to raise its percentage in a few ways (this is what John Lyons, the new pre-med advising director told me)...
1. Having a better advising system in place so that students know where to apply. This will lead to more kids being selective of where they apply and hopefully will result in better success for them. Until now, the pre-meds have been largely left to themselves to figure things out.
Better advising = higher acceptance rate.
2. New resources are being gathered with regard to data about where NU students with particular credentials end up. This will help students make better choices later on. Better resources = higher acceptance rate.
3. Lastly, more intense contacts are being built up with adcoms across the nation who are learning more about the intricacies/difficulties of NU's curriculum. If more people are better informed of what a particular GPA means out of NU, for example, then it might help out some students.

That's all I can think of for now.

Sandflea,
As for where I got the 55% rate from...Dean Weimar during a meeting early last school year. It was listed on the pre-med 'brochure' I received from him as that as well. Maybe, it was for first-time applicants only. John Lyons is really changing things, though, and it seems for the better in almost all respects. He really is much better organized and more helpful than Dean Weimar. Hope this all helps.

Someone said: "Some people can't afford to go to prestigious private schools and have to "settle" for less prestigious state schools."

Someone else responded: "Absolutely false! It's best to have parents rich enough to pay the full $35k/yr out of their chump change. Next best is to be dirt poor and have most of the $35k be grants from the school. Worst is to be middle, middle class [say $50k-$150k/yr gross] in which case the FAFSA forces the parents to borrow $20k-$25k/yr. Many of the latter parents are unwilling to take on $100k of debt [they would rather have shiney new cars or adequate pension plans] and so their kids are frozen out of the most prestigious undergrad schools. If you had the resume for the Ivyies but went to State instead, it's your parents who screwed you, not society. So stop whining."

Ummm, first of all, where did that person ever imply that it was "society" that screwed her? Nowhere. Secondly, you're completely missing the point. Yes, his/her parents can ultimately take the blame for him/her not going to a prestigious private school BUT he/she could have gone if the school were cheaper.

His/her point was that some people could have gone to a prestigious private school but they went to a cheaper state school instead. That point remains valid and you failed to refute it.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:••• If more people are better informed of what a particular GPA means out of NU, for example, then it might help out some students.••••See, that's kinda the point I'm getting at. I question whether or not med schools actually take this stuff into consideration. I've seen people from Univ. of Butt and Butt Tech. get into great schools when others with lower GPA's from Genius State get nothing. And it usu. seems like the one thing that the person from Genius State was missing was a high GPA. Despite the many other factors that add to one's application, I'm affraid that a high GPA will always win out over a lower one despite the conditions. :mad:

Gel1,

By the way, I PM'ed you a day or two ago.

Gel1,

By the way, I PM'ed you a day or two ago.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by BowB4Jeff:
• Despite the many other factors that add to one's application, I'm affraid that a high GPA will always win out over a lower one despite the conditions. :mad: •••••this has kind of been my experience. a high GPA, above all, is what matters most in getting into med school, and from my experience, the school that you got that GPA at matters less. sure, it may be taken into account, but none of us can really know for sure how much it matters. grades at NU are definitely deflated in comparison to many other good schools, and i wonder how well this is known at med schools, especially those outside the midwest. it's a lot harder to stand out in a school full of smart people when grades are curved.

i agree that better advising will certainly help at NU. dean weimer was very knowledgeable but he's hardly the most approachable person.

BowB4Jeff,
Think about this...at most medical schools, there will be someone on the adcom familiar with schools and their GPA nuances from your area. So, they're going to understand how your numbers stand relative to the pool and coming from you school in particular as well.

If your GPA is a 3.5, it may be "corrected" for difficulty to a 3.6 -- I've heard rumors of GPA multipliers of 1.1 and 1.05 for coming from top schools somewhere on this board a long time ago. Again, that's just a rumor. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this?

Yes of course it matters for some part.

However, that being said, schools LOVE "diversity"....If you go to a Cal State for example, that represents diversity...but you better be at the top of your game.

Hey Pete, nice job at the box office this weekend.