Med Schools Checking SDN accounts: I'm panicking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mollyguacomole

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so a couple of years ago I almost had an IA against me (our campus police took my name down because I was drinking underage in a dorm). I never ended up actually having any action beyond that being taken, so I it wasn't something I reported on AMCAS. I did panic about it and make a thread on SDN about it right after it happened though.

My problem is, that was on an old account that I stopped using because the username was too identifying. And then I was dumb and made that username my AAMC username. I recently heard that med schools will use the AAMC username to find an account on SDN. So I panicked again, shelled out some donation money, and deleted that thread/changed the username. However, due to internet 'caches' and other things I don't understand, it still shows up in a search of SDN, but now when you click on it, it says there is an error. I feel like in my panic, I have just made this look even more fishy, and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm going to call AAMC on Monday and see if I can change my username there, but I'm sure the medical schools I'm applying to will still have record of the old username.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Edit: If the medical school were to call my school they would corroborate that I don't have any IAs, I'm just worried that a medical school will automatically just assume I was lying and dump my file.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are way too worried about this. Odds of someone thoroughly investigating your internet history instead of just requesting a disciplinary record from your school are pretty slim, and it won't even show up there if no IA ever actually happened. Even if they did figure out you'd been unofficially caught drinking once years ago... that is a total non-issue. Almost everybody underage drinks, you are not going to be harshly judged for it unless it happened flagrantly multiple times.

See goro's response to my question about underage drinking

Reactions: 3 users
You are way too worried about this. Odds of someone thoroughly investigating your internet history instead of just requesting a disciplinary record from your school are pretty slim, and it won't even show up there if no IA ever actually happened. Even if they did figure out you'd been unofficially caught drinking once years ago... that is a total non-issue. Almost everybody underage drinks, you are not going to be harshly judged for it unless it happened flagrantly multiple times.

See goro's response to my question about underage drinking

If they do figure it out, OP is in trouble since OP never actually reported it.

Members don't see this ad :)
But he didn't actually have an IA, he'd only be in trouble if he failed to report an actual disciplinary action. This was just a couple cops taking names down to scare kids.

Reactions: 2 users
If they do figure it out, OP is in trouble since OP never actually reported it.

I don't actually have an IA--that is why I didn't report it. My name was taken down, but no disciplinary action or hearing or anything was ever taken. It was more like a warning thing, though sometimes, our school will follow up on it.

If the medical school takes the time to call my school, there won't be any record of an IA. It just looks fishy now because I deleted the post, so now you can't see any details, just my title of the thread and my opening line.

Does OP seriously think people at schools have nothing better to do than check on SDN?

Reactions: 1 users
Does OP seriously think people at schools have nothing better to do than check on SDN?

Someone I know told me that an adcom told him that his school actually searches your aamc handle on google.

Someone I know told me that an adcom told him that his school actually searches your aamc handle on google.

Someone told me that leaving a tooth under the pillow will result in a visit from the Tooth Fairy. :)

What's the going rate for a tooth these days?

$1

If any of my posts on SDN come up at a residency interview, I promise to let you know.

In all candor, I'd be sorely disappointed for never posting anything titillating or controversial. :)

okay, okay, I get it I'm panicking/overreacting again. Applying to med school has not been good for sanity.

Edit: and I also feel dumb for forking $40 over in panic.

Last edited:
You'd better not have a facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other social media account....

okay, okay, I get it I'm panicking/overreacting again. Applying to med school has not been good for sanity.

Edit: and I also feel dumb for forking $40 over in panic.

Okay, so a couple of years ago I almost had an IA against me (our campus police took my name down because I was drinking underage in a dorm). I never ended up actually having any action beyond that being taken, so I it wasn't something I reported on AMCAS. I did panic about it and make a thread on SDN about it right after it happened though.

My problem is, that was on an old account that I stopped using because the username was too identifying. And then I was dumb and made that username my AAMC username. I recently heard that med schools will use the AAMC username to find an account on SDN. So I panicked again, shelled out some donation money, and deleted that thread/changed the username. However, due to internet 'caches' and other things I don't understand, it still shows up in a search of SDN, but now when you click on it, it says there is an error. I feel like in my panic, I have just made this look even more fishy, and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm going to call AAMC on Monday and see if I can change my username there, but I'm sure the medical schools I'm applying to will still have record of the old username.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Edit: If the medical school were to call my school they would corroborate that I don't have any IAs, I'm just worried that a medical school will automatically just assume I was lying and dump my file.
You can fix that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're worrying over nothing. This is pre-med neuroticism at its worst. I think you can relax, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
What's with AAMC using your user name to check on you? So bizarre. If I included something like M1ss Steak, would they count that against me or think I picked a clever name? User names aren't exactly alter egos, at least for me.

This is pre-med neuroticism at its worst. I think you can relax, you'll be fine.
10ce11.jpg

https://services.aamc.org/authregistration/index.cfm?fuseaction=showPrivacy

"As part of this process, each user is assigned a unique AAMC Identification Number, User Name, and Password that you will use for any applications, programs, services, and meetings offered by the AAMC. You may change your self-assigned User Name and Password at any time.... For instance, if you use the AAMC program for applying to medical school - AMCAS - your AAMC ID Number (but not the User Name and Password you have selected for your own use) will be provided to the medical schools to which you apply. These schools may in turn use that same AAMC ID Number as your primary identification throughout the application process and throughout your enrollment at their school should you be accepted."

Not sure if it is possible to search for your AAMC user name if schools are never sent that information...

"As part of this process, each user is assigned a unique AAMC Identification Number, User Name, and Password that you will use for any applications, programs, services, and meetings offered by the AAMC. You may change your self-assigned User Name and Password at any time.... For instance, if you use the AAMC program for applying to medical school - AMCAS - your AAMC ID Number (but not the User Name and Password you have selected for your own use) will be provided to the medical schools to which you apply. These schools may in turn use that same AAMC ID Number as your primary identification throughout the application process and throughout your enrollment at their school should you be accepted."

Not sure if it is possible to search for your AAMC user name if schools are never sent that information...

Yeah, OP we don't see your AAMC username....

It's a trap!!

They barely have time to read your app, the chances of someone googling your aamc username is low to nil

Out of the thousands of applications schools get every cycle, you think they are going to have the time to troll an internet forum to find out an applicant drank alcohol once?

Just breathe. It'll be okay.

People on here need to chill out. Med school will eat you alive if you are already this neurotic.

Out of the thousands of applications schools get every cycle, you think they are going to have the time to troll an internet forum to find out an applicant drank alcohol once?

Just breathe. It'll be okay.

It's highly unlikely that anyone is going to go through and trawl people's posts, however many schools (mine included) do monitor the school's specific application thread. If an applicant is posting questionable things or otherwise being an ass and they're easily identifiable, you bet that could impact your chances at that school.

It's highly unlikely that anyone is going to go through and trawl people's posts, however many schools (mine included) do monitor the school's specific application thread. If an applicant is posting questionable things or otherwise being an ass and they're easily identifiable, you bet that could impact your chances at that school.

No doubt. Common sense should stop you from sharing too much or acting rudely on the internet, especially under the banner of the school you'd like to attend.

For sure. During med school application season (~6 years ago), I posted a general question about financial aid on the school specific thread for my eventual med school the day after I got accepted. I was reasonably identifiable based on prior posts. I think I may have even still had my MDApps linked to my username at that point.

Next morning, I got an email from the director of admissions. Addressed to me personally. Answering the question.

Reactions: 4 users
No one cares about some IA that didn't happen. The adcoms don't have time to google stalk you, nor do they get your AAMC username. You need to get something prescribed for anxiety or get some counseling or something, because your level of freaking out (both with your past incident and this one) is pretty ridiculous.

For sure. During med school application season (~6 years ago), I posted a general question about financial aid on the school specific thread for my eventual med school the day after I got accepted. I was reasonably identifiable based on prior posts. I think I may have even still had my MDApps linked to my username at that point.

Next morning, I got an email from the director of admissions. Addressed to me personally. Answering the question.
I don't know if I should consider that cool or creepy. Regardless, a nice gesture of them.

Lol you should be more scared of Facebook stalking you.

Not kidding.

Oh my goodness this freaks me out so much. That's simultaneously amazing and terrifying. I would have had a mini panic attack upon seeing that email...

When I google my AAMC username I find a preteen's twitter account.

#thisisgoingwell