med schools in undesirable neighborhoods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Columbia area is NOT bad anymore- I worked and did research in Washington Heights across the street from the Med school. I would not consider this a bad area. As for NYU, it is in a great area!

Finally, I think that Wayne State and SLU win this award hands down.

Members don't see this ad.

Walk with confidence and most won't bother you. If you are really nervous, then walk around with a friend and don't carry important documents/ a lot of cash with you. Your confidence will be lifted, if you can overcome your fears.

For those of you who keep telling me that Bmore is 'getting better'...have you actually been there? I was there yesterday, Druid Hill Park, 28th Street...my voice teacher used to live there and I would have to drive through all those neighborhoods. There's a lot of poverty in those neighborhoods. And while in some neighborhoods, some of the poorer people band together to keep out crime, in Baltimore, most of the poverty seems to be caused by drugs. Kids get killed all the time playing outside because the get caught in the fire of a drug deal gone wrong. Pratically every empty building has to have the doors and windows cinderblocked shut to keep out squators and arsonists...that might be a common thing, but I haven't ever seen it as much as in Baltimore. Things are much better than they used to be in Baltimore, but its still a very dangerous city. So far, there have been 111 murders in the city, as of the 14th of May.

My boyfriend drives an ambulance in the city, and he told me that he feels better when he sees a block of houses boarded up, burned down, or being razed.

That said, I love Baltimore. I think it's a great city with a lot of history and a lot of personality and I feel lucky to live as close to it as I do. However, its a city that you really, really have to be careful of where you are, and you always have to be alert.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe some mouse traps (probably the humane variety...the glue ones are just cruel) and you'll be good to go.

Man, I lived in a place in Berkeley once that was full of mice...

I left for a weekend and my landlord put glue traps all over my place. I came back and there were half a dozen mice stuck all over the place.

Fivel: An American Tale was my favorite movie as a kid.

I took a brick to Fivel.

Six times.

Traumatizing.

To put it simply, Columbia is in Harlem. For what it's worth it's in a fairly nice part of Harlem, and all of Harlem is already no longer the crazy deserted crime infested Harlem of the 80's. But, it's still obviously not going to be the best part of town.

I'm not sure where Cirrus is getting his information, but I'm a P&S student, and neither the medical center campus or the undergrad campus are in Harlem.

The medical center campus (i.e. P&S campus) is in Washington Heights, which is north of Harlem, in the little tail that makes up the north end of Manhattan. North of Washington Heights is Inwood, south is Harlem. Inwood is a quiet, nice residential area. Harlem is... well, Harlem. South Harlem (110th -125th St) on the west side has experienced significant gentrification. Bill Clinton's office, for example, is somewhere around there. Fancy restaurants and organic grocery stores have moved in. Real estate agents are now calling it SoHa. East Harlem is still a fairly dangerous place, as Manhattan goes. Harlem north of 125th is also a little sketchy.

15-25 years ago, Washington Heights was very dangerous, with a lot of drug related violence. Now people only consider it to be 'a rough part of town' because everyone speaks spanish and there are domino games out on the street.

Most first year students live in Bard Hall, a dorm shared by medical, nursing, public health, and other health sceince students. Second year, you move to university owned apartments on the medial center campus or find an apartment in manhattan. University housing (dorms included) ranges from six to eight hundred a month. The dorm is ugly, old, and painful. The apartments, however, are sick. They're spacious, well kept, relatively new, and have gorgeous views.

Students that move off campus can be found in many different places. Some find apartments in the immediate area. This is a safe option, and I believe prices are comparable to what the university charges. Some choose to move south of the medical center, which is probably cheaper but requires more vigilance walking home at night. A dental student living around 150th was robbed some time this school year when two men followed him from the subway. A fair number of students live in Morningside Heights, where the undergrad campus is. Morningside is bordered on the east by Morningside park, which separates it from south harlem (SoHa:D ). South is the upper west side. Morningside is very safe and has the feel of a college town. There was a pretty disturbing incident recently that involved a columbia student, but she lived in hamilton heights, an area of north harlem.

Commuting to the medical center campus from other areas of western manhattan is fairly easy because it's on both the red and blue lines. The A train runs express from 59th to 125th, and is a quick way to the medical center if you live south of the park.

I could go on and talk about affiliate hospitals, but let me just mention one thing. Most of the hospitals are in safe areas. We do, however, rotate through Harlem Hosptial, which is on 135th St between Malcom X and 5th Ave. I understand it's a pretty rough area, but I haven't been there yet. I know the administration pays more attention to call schedules etc. there (to ensure there is a safe transportation when students are heading home).

If I had to rank the safety of the areas surrounding NYC schools, I would say Downstate is going to be the least safe. I'd put Einstein next, though I have no personal experience there. Columbia and Sinai are tied, followed by Cornell and NYU (also tied). I don't know a damn thing about any schools in the surrounding area. You also have to remember, NYC is now one of the safest major cities in the country, so this is all relative.

For those of you who keep telling me that Bmore is 'getting better'...have you actually been there? I was there yesterday, Druid Hill Park, 28th Street...my voice teacher used to live there and I would have to drive through all those neighborhoods. There's a lot of poverty in those neighborhoods. And while in some neighborhoods, some of the poorer people band together to keep out crime, in Baltimore, most of the poverty seems to be caused by drugs. Kids get killed all the time playing outside because the get caught in the fire of a drug deal gone wrong. Pratically every empty building has to have the doors and windows cinderblocked shut to keep out squators and arsonists...that might be a common thing, but I haven't ever seen it as much as in Baltimore. Things are much better than they used to be in Baltimore, but its still a very dangerous city. So far, there have been 111 murders in the city, as of the 14th of May.

Scrubs, everything you said is fair, but it's important for outsiders to understand that what you are talking about is, at least to a significant degree, confined to the West side of town, past Martin Luther King Ave--there is a reason the best trauma center in the world is located on MLK. If the violence and mayhem that follow the drug trade spilled over into other parts of the city, to be honest, if more than a handful of those 111 murders involved middle class people, or whites, the rest of the city wouldn't so easily turn a blind eye to it. Think about all the policing and security that goes into ensuring that crime stays at manageable levels around, say, Hopkins medical campus--it might not be Towson but it's not like "The Wire", either.

Mt. Vernon, Dowtown, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Fell's Point, Canton, Little Italy, Homewood, Mt Washington, Hampden, Roland Park--think about how many gentrified, well-policied areas there are in this not-very-big city, with yuppies running around everywhere. If you aren't on the West side (and, let's face it, not too many medical student/wannabes will be, including myself for the most part) you are not any more likely to be a victim of crime than in any other big city on the East Coast.

Note: I am not saying I approve of this reality, only that it is the way things are right now.

Scrubs, everything you said is fair, but it's important for outsiders to understand that what you are talking about is, at least to a significant degree, confined to the West side of town, past Martin Luther King Ave--there is a reason the best trauma center in the world is located on MLK. If the violence and mayhem that follow the drug trade spilled over into other parts of the city, to be honest, if more than a handful of those 111 murders involved middle class people, or whites, the rest of the city wouldn't so easily turn a blind eye to it. Think about all the policing and security that goes into ensuring that crime stays at manageable levels around, say, Hopkins medical campus--it might not be Towson but it's not like "The Wire", either.

Mt. Vernon, Dowtown, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Fell's Point, Canton, Little Italy, Homewood, Mt Washington, Hampden, Roland Park--think about how many gentrified, well-policied areas there are in this not-very-big city, with yuppies running around everywhere. If you aren't on the West side (and, let's face it, not too many medical student/wannabes will be, including myself for the most part) you are not any more likely to be a victim of crime than in any other big city on the East Coast.

Note: I am not saying I approve of this reality, only that it is the way things are right now.

Heh...very true...I only wish I could live in Roland Park as a med student...maybe I'll just find a nice place in Guilford ;) But you're right, most of the bad neighborhoods are places med students probably wouldn't be. All the same, the crime does stray out of the 'bad' neighborhood. Also, really nice places tend to end up in kind of scary neighborhoods in Baltimore, as a result of 'making the city better.' Example: The Hippodrome...not really a place I'd want to walk around after dark (and I have; it was scary).

If I had to rank the safety of the areas surrounding NYC schools, I would say Downstate is going to be the least safe. I'd put Einstein next, though I have no personal experience there. Columbia and Sinai are tied, followed by Cornell and NYU (also tied). I don't know a damn thing about any schools in the surrounding area. You also have to remember, NYC is now one of the safest major cities in the country, so this is all relative.

Perhaps you shouldn't include Einstein in your rankings if you have no experience there. In terms of safety, Einstein beats both Columbia and Sinai. Einstein is in a very residential area of the Bronx that is predominantly composed of Irish, Italian, and Caribbean immigrants and first generation-ers. I think the name of the neighborhood is Morris Park and it's pretty quiet.

NY is a pretty safe city if you are cautious at certain times of the day. For example, if you attend Columbia, then I wouldn't take the train at 3AM by yourself on 168th, be you male or female...If you have to go somewhere by yourself that late, then you're better off taking a cab.

Couldn't disagree more with this. I have lived in Baltimore for a while now and first, the crime is not at all isolated to the west side of town. Murder, theft, assault, etc happen north, south east and west in the city every day (just check out the daily crime blogs and you'll see for yourself).

Also, there are no safe areas in this city. Safer? Sure, but nothing is really safe except for MAYBE the true inner harbor. A University of Maryland Pharmacy Student was shot on the so called "good side" of MLK just last week, for example (two teens knocked on her door and just shot her). People get mugged and robbed at gunpoint in Federal Hill, a so called yuppie part of town, all the time (BTW, Federal Hill is pretty poorly patrolled if you ask me.....have you ever seen cops driving around there?)

Canton and Fell's Point? Don't bother bringing your car there because it's bound to be broken into or stolen within two weeks.

Basically, I just don't agree with the notion that ANY place in this city is well policed - period. Maybe the inner harbor. But that's about it.

Perhaps you shouldn't include Einstein in your rankings if you have no experience there. In terms of safety, Einstein beats both Columbia and Sinai. Einstein is in a very residential area of the Bronx that is predominantly composed of Irish, Italian, and Caribbean immigrants and first generation-ers. I think the name of the neighborhood is Morris Park and it's pretty quiet.

NY is a pretty safe city if you are cautious at certain times of the day. For example, if you attend Columbia, then I wouldn't take the train at 3AM by yourself on 168th, be you male or female...If you have to go somewhere by yourself that late, then you're better off taking a cab.

Yep, no personal experience with AECOM, so If you have personal experience there, I would defer to you. I do know about relative levels of homelessness and incarceration percentages in different community districts in NYC, so that's why I put AECOM below Columbia and Mt. Sinai. Neither of those are great proxies for crime rates, but I'm lazy, so that's what I used.

Edit: And yeah, at 3 am, I wouldn't suggest women take public transport by themselves anywhere in NY, whether it's to 168th, the Bronx, or the Upper East Side. I do it myself, but I stay on my toes.

Couldn't disagree more with this. I have lived in Baltimore for a while now and first, the crime is not at all isolated to the west side of town. Murder, theft, assault, etc happen north, south east and west in the city every day (just check out the daily crime blogs and you'll see for yourself).

Also, there are no safe areas in this city. Safer? Sure, but nothing is really safe except for MAYBE the true inner harbor. A University of Maryland Pharmacy Student was shot on the so called "good side" of MLK just last week, for example (two teens knocked on her door and just shot her). People get mugged and robbed at gunpoint in Federal Hill, a so called yuppie part of town, all the time (BTW, Federal Hill is pretty poorly patrolled if you ask me.....have you ever seen cops driving around there?)

Canton and Fell's Point? Don't bother bringing your car there because it's bound to be broken into or stolen within two weeks.

Basically, I just don't agree with the notion that ANY place in this city is well policed - period. Maybe the inner harbor. But that's about it.

I agree. Baltimore has just an overwhelming crime problem, throughout the entire city.

UC Davis? No way.

Yale? New Haven may not be the nicest city but the med school and hospital location is not bad at all.

Add USC to the list.

The area of New Haven that Yale is found in is by far the nicest part of the city.

If you are really nervous, then walk around with a friend and don't carry important documents.

This amused me - I just imagined some thug holding you up at gunpoint and saying "Give me those documents!":laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Look, I'm not denying Baltimore is a VERY troubled city, and as a Marylander, I think it's shameful that the 2nd-wealthiest state in the U.S. doesn't do more to control crime in this city.

I just don't like it when people act as if Baltimore is Mogadishu--it's not, and I don't see any numbers demonstrating that it's any worse than a dozen other big cities in this country--Philadelphia, Detroit, St. Louis, etc. And honestly, if the city weren't overwhelmingly black, I don't think it would have quite the public image that it does--I'm not saying anyone here is racist or anything, just that all of our impressions of the world are colored by how we grow up.

This amused me - I just imagined some thug holding you up at gunpoint and saying "Give me those documents!":laugh:

well usually when you get mugged, they take your wallet. So, if you just want to lose cash and not all 3 credit cards and drivers license and social security card, then I suggest you leave important documents someplace safe. If you say to the mugger, "Hold on, let me get those cards out of there. You can have the cash." They are going to be pissed and shoot you.

And honestly, if the city weren't overwhelmingly black, I don't think it would have quite the public image that it does. I'm not saying anyone here is racist or anything, just that all of our impressions of the world are colored by how we grow up.

so you grew up in a tight knit community of racists?

well usually when you get mugged, they take your wallet. So, if you just want to lose cash and not all 3 credit cards and drivers license and social security card, then I suggest you leave important documents someplace safe. If you say to the mugger, "Hold on, let me get those cards out of there. You can have the cash." They are going to be pissed and shoot you.
Don't carry your SS card!

so you grew up in a tight knit community of racists?

I wouldn't say we were particularly tight-knit, no...OK that wasn't that funny.

I am going to stop defending Baltimore now, obviously no one wants to hear it. But this really is a nice place to live, if you give it half a chance. More crabcakes for me.

Look, I'm not denying Baltimore is a VERY troubled city, and as a Marylander, I think it's shameful that the 2nd-wealthiest state in the U.S. doesn't do more to control crime in this city.

I just don't like it when people act as if Baltimore is Mogadishu--it's not, and I don't see any numbers demonstrating that it's any worse than a dozen other big cities in this country--Philadelphia, Detroit, St. Louis, etc. And honestly, if the city weren't overwhelmingly black, I don't think it would have quite the public image that it does--I'm not saying anyone here is racist or anything, just that all of our impressions of the world are colored by how we grow up.

Baltimore has major issues, and to me its the fact that its a "small" big city that makes it seem worse.

Don't get me wrong though, it has great culture. It's a true American city in every sense of the word and there is a lot of really neat history. But I think in many ways it's an American tragedy as well.

On that note, Detroit and St. Louis are definitely worse from what I hear. Even Philly is starting to get out of control.

A revived thread talks negatively about the neighborhood where Temple is located, and there are similar comments about Johns Hopkins location...

Any other schools belong on this list? Also interested in hearing about the neighborhoods near these schools where med students tend to live...really more concerned about where I might live and how I get to/from the school and clinical sites (on foot? mass transit? car?) than I am about the school's neighborhood, but I would like to hear it all...

The neighborhood that a medical school is located in is actually not as much of an issue as the number of incidents on the campus. Do students have safe and secure parking? Are they secure within the confines of the building/library?

The neighborhood that you live in is an issue. Can you be gone for days at a time, return home and find that you house/apartment/dorm has not been burglarized? Can you walk from your car to your door without worrying about being mugged or robbed at gunpoint?

Most of the schools that have been listed have very safe campuses. Hopkins may be in a dicey neighborhood but the campus is quite safe. Georgetown is definitely in a very safe and upscale area of DC though parking is a real problem (lack of it).

Even schools that are located in the best of neighborhoods may have incidents and thus the actual location of the school is much of a non-issue. We can only look at the recent Va Tech shooting incident to know that random violence can take place anywhere.

It is important to inquire about safety no matter where you attend school. UVa is located in Charlottesville, a very nice city but I know for sure that UVa students don't do stupid things that put them at risk such as walking alone at night in isolated areas. Their school might be in the safest area of the country but you still have to have some "street smarts".

I attended Howard University, a school that is located near a fairly depressed neighborhood. The campus police are "deadly serious" about keeping the school and campus secure and thus we had very few, if any incidents. There was the random breaking of car window or theft of laptop (left unattended) but none of us felt unsafe.

No matter where you anticipate attending medical school, check with current students to find out where students live and what neighborhoods are safe. School safety is a huge concern for every campus administration. In addition, as someone has mentioned, many teaching hospitals are located in far worse neighborhoods than the medical schools.

Since I started this thread, and it seems to have run its useful course, I wanted to thank people for their replies.

As njbmd points out, one should have more concern about where one lives than the immediate neighborhood around the med school itself, and I agree with that (and I made that very point in my original post).

I am also concerned about the "getting to/from" school thing - am I on foot, or riding mass transit, or driving my car? How far is the entrance to the secure grounds of the med school or hospital from the subway/bus stop? What is parking like - available, costly, safe? Does the school provide an escort service to the transit stop or parking lot? Etc...

Thanks again, and if anyone has something else to add, please do.

More crabcakes for me.

Crabcakes...:love:

No, I love Baltimore, too, and will probably will live there at some point in my life. But people want to know, and its unfair to tell someone who has never spent any time in the city to expect some kind of over-idealized Baltimore.

B'lieve, hon :D

I am also concerned about the "getting to/from" school thing - am I on foot, or riding mass transit, or driving my car? How far is the entrance to the secure grounds of the med school or hospital from the subway/bus stop? What is parking like - available, costly, safe? Does the school provide an escort service to the transit stop or parking lot? Etc...

At NYU, you walk across the street. If you have something at bellevue, you walk across the street and downtown 5 blocks. If you have something at rusk, its uptown 1 block. The furthest thing is the NYU cancer center on 3rd ave and 34 st.

I'm not sure why Wayne State keeps getting flak. Yeah we get it, its in Detroit, but the area is really really nice around the hospitals, the med campus, and the main campus which is adjacent. Plus, WSU cops are insane.

The hell? is Hopkins built around projects or something?

Not to kill it again but:

HOPKINS

I agree. Baltimore has just an overwhelming crime problem, throughout the entire city.

As someone who's lived there for ~23 years, I have to say that Baltimore sucks ass. It's got mad-crazy crime, the housing and schools are horrible, the Harbor is a tourist trap that smells bad, the traffic is the stuff of legends, and yes, Hopkins was built around projects. Then it bought them, tore them down, and is now building retail/biomed. And it's the whole city that's in the crapper, btw. :)

Watch out if you go to Stewart. I heard that after being transported to the secret campus, it is actually quite the seedy and questionable landscape. The Chancellor removes your blindfold, palms you an old Luger, tells you the "dorms" are down by the docks, and says, "Godspeed, laddy."

Just suck it up and go to Hopkins.

Since I started this thread, and it seems to have run its useful course, I wanted to thank people for their replies.

As njbmd points out, one should have more concern about where one lives than the immediate neighborhood around the med school itself, and I agree with that (and I made that very point in my original post).

Thanks again, and if anyone has something else to add, please do.

Is there really any major city in the US without a high crime rate? It just seems to me that you could take all the arguments above about baltimore and just substitute another city name and you would get the exact same responses about "ghettoness" from members on this forum. DC, Houston, Sacramento Philly, LA, NY.........
It all boils down to what you personally are comfortable with. So dont base your decisions solely on what others say about a city. If yo interview there and you think you can live there without being scared all the time, then go for it.
I was told while walking through the tenderloins in SF that i was in a bad part of town. Trust me, i would live there anyday.

Georgetown TOTALLY does not belong on this list. I live in DC and what I wouldn't give to be able to afford a home in the Gtown area. Homes are easily priced from 800k-1 mil without breaking a sweat. The price of homes are usually indicative of the area, and needless to say this area is not suffering from the real-estate bubble problems of late.

I already commented about temple earlier today:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362387&page=4
I don't know where the med students live but I can find out if someone really wants to know, a old friend is a 3rd year there.
EDIT: My sister is a PD in Philly so when I went home this weekend for mom's day she did point out the many bad areas of Philly (I've been thinking about buying and rehabbing a home there or Bmore) and she said oh there was a shooting there, or I had to visit a crime scene on that block, which made me think. But I don't think most students are venturing in those areas other than to avoid traffic. :idea: She did also mention that Philly is the murder capitol at present w/ the most murders this year so far so it does pay to make smart decisions about where you go, when and with whom. :scared:

I second the thoughts on Penn. Not so bad, but like any city there will be homeless people, and people who grew up in the "neighborhood" so depending on your perspective you might think that this automatically = bad area.

As for Hopkins and UMD Bmore is totally changing. It's like DC circa 2000 (i.e. the rough places are quickly changing and as such homes are being rehabbed, and the areas that were rough and tough are easing up). Much like any city you can usually find a place to live it may just require a short commute. Places mentioned above like the inner harbor and canton are good as far as I know. Some areas called upton and bolton hill have good parts too (although I defer to those who live there now).

As an aside, allllll of these areas have a rich history and often a diverse makeup. Many of the residents are the results of a number of societal changes/issues/problems etc, but it is their home and should be respected as such. Don't get me wrong, if a crackhead walks up to me as I'm go to my car late one night I'm not going to strike up a conversation about the good 'ol days:eek: But everyone has to coexist in the area so just use common sense and the bad areas shouldn't be too bad.:luck:

so as far as philly goes-- don't join a gang, and don't become a cop while you're here, and it's a perfectly safe area. Yes, we're leading the murders this year, we topped 200 on july 4th, but from what i've seen on the news, at least like 130 of those were gang-related or drug deals gone bad, and like 10-15 were cops trying to stop these things. As long as you don't do anything to deserve it, (i am NOT saying that cops deserve it, just that it's slightly more expected) nothing bad generally happens to you. And as far as the Drexel/UPenn area, very very nice with TONS of security. Temple, little sketchier. I work at UPenn's hospital and the area is great.

Columbia area is NOT bad anymore- I worked and did research in Washington Heights across the street from the Med school. I would not consider this a bad area. As for NYU, it is in a great area!

Finally, I think that Wayne State and SLU win this award hands down.

The area around SLU ain't Beverly Hills, but its reputation isn't as bad as its made out to be.

Is there really any major city in the US without a high crime rate? It just seems to me that you could take all the arguments above about baltimore and just substitute another city name and you would get the exact same responses about "ghettoness" from members on this forum. DC, Houston, Sacramento Philly, LA, NY.........
It all boils down to what you personally are comfortable with. So dont base your decisions solely on what others say about a city. If yo interview there and you think you can live there without being scared all the time, then go for it.
I was told while walking through the tenderloins in SF that i was in a bad part of town. Trust me, i would live there anyday.

Well, I have to differ because I think there are huge differences in the major cities depending on where you live, where the school is located, how far away from school you live, and how you get to school, hospitals, etc...it is a "neighborhood by neighborhood" kind of analysis, less so a "city by city"...I have found the input on this thread useful, a starting point, and by no means the "last word" on the matter...i have too many schools on my "possibles" list, and this has helped me trim a few...but I will ultimately make my own inspections of neighborhoods, etc...

Edit: And yeah, at 3 am, I wouldn't suggest women take public transport by themselves anywhere in NY, whether it's to 168th, the Bronx, or the Upper East Side. I do it myself, but I stay on my toes.

I have to strongly disagree with this. I grew up in NYC (am now in Chicago for college) and I have never, ever felt unsafe in any part of NYC. I spent most of my time south of ~90th St. and in Queens, but I took the train home countless times late at night and never once felt unsafe. My walk home from the train station is through a very lively area. Both on and off the trains were no different in terms of crowdedness at 3 AM or at 2 PM.

Buses are different because you're not waiting in a train station (which I feel safer in than on the street alone late at night). And if you live in a very residential area, the walk home might not be as great. But I've come home at 3 AM before when the train was so crowded I couldn't get a seat. So yea, get used to the city first and know how to carry yourself and you have no reason to fear the public transportation fear at any time of day.

I'm not sure why Wayne State keeps getting flak. Yeah we get it, its in Detroit, but the area is really really nice around the hospitals, the med campus, and the main campus which is adjacent. Plus, WSU cops are insane.

The immediate area that Wayne is in is very nice, but you have to go a mile or two before you hit the area that has the "female+being alone= no stopping at red lights" rule. I remember driving back from visiting my dad and I made a wrong turn. I was stopped at a red light when a bunch of people started approaching my car. I ran the red light and got pulled over like two minutes later for. I thought I was going to get a ticket..instead the cop was asking if I was okay!! He said that most people, especially females, driving by themselves at night don;t stop at the red lights for that reason!! :eek: But the suburbs not too far away are nice...and the area Wayne is in is nice too!

I live and work in the Longwood area. I have never really felt unsafe especially with all the institutions and security. Mission hill is next to the area and that can feel sketchy at times, but I swear you are more likely to be harassed by drunk college kids than residents (unless it is kids asking for money and jumping at you to scare you when running, although muggings do happen). I think Boston U and its med center are in a worse location and less accessible by public transportation.

Anyway it makes sense that most urban medical schools are in crappy areas. The land is probably cheaper. Also since many schools are located near a hospital, and people want those close but not too close as they are active 24-7 and a bit noisy with ambulances, etc.

isn't ALL of California an undesirable neighborhood? :D

I wanted to post this about Temple. While Temple is in a "sketchy" part of philadelphia, it also is home to the 5th largest police force in Pa. The campus is very well lit (stadium lighting at night) and very little crime happens on campus (in fact I was told that more crime is reported on Penns/Drexel's Campuses then on Temple's, cant confirm if this is true but could be virtue to the police presence at all times on Temples campus). Parking is guaranteed if you drive and there are two subway stops within 2 blocks of the main medschool building. There is also a shuttle that goes from center city to campus from sept through may. About 1/2 of our class lives in center city (takes subway) and the other half lives in the more "surburban" part of the city (Manyunk/Roxborough/East Falls) and drives. I have heard of one or two students living in the neighborhood that immediately surrounds Temple Med and the Hospitals but I wouldnt recommend that especially if you have a car. I would recommend Temple to anyone who wants to experience serving a very diverse population and is comfortable commuting 10-15 minutes to school, but if you want to live within walking distance and have not lived in sketchy neighborhoods before then I would recommend going elsewhere.

isn't ALL of California an undesirable neighborhood? :D

This needed to be said, I am sick and tired of everyone blowing kisses to California and hating on the East coast. It is sunny all the damn time, everyone is alarmingly laid-back, and the entire state is on the brink of being swallowed by the pacific when the Big One comes any day now.

Give me cold dry winters, ungodly humid summers, and buildings more than one story tall any day of the week

This needed to be said, I am sick and tired of everyone blowing kisses to California and hating on the East coast. It is sunny all the damn time, everyone is alarmingly laid-back, and the entire state is on the brink of being swallowed by the pacific when the Big One comes any day now.

Give me cold dry winters, ungodly humid summers, and buildings more than one story tall any day of the week

Living in Los Angeles sucks big time - the traffic is unbearable - and you absolutely have to have a car out there from what I have read...I lived in LA for a short while, never really got all the love for it...but I am an east coaster / mid atlantic type...

Living in Los Angeles sucks big time - the traffic is unbearable - and you absolutely have to have a car out there from what I have read...I lived in LA for a short while, never really got all the love for it...but I am an east coaster / mid atlantic type...

yeah, SD and SF are much better places to live...aside from having the best thai food in the country, LA's nothing to rave about

How does the general consensus come about that UMD school of medicine is poorly located? Its right up the street from Camden yards, and very safe and populated during the day. Unless you're going for a jog up MLK to Druid Hill at night, you're quite safe.

The immediate area that Wayne is in is very nice, but you have to go a mile or two before you hit the area that has the "female+being alone= no stopping at red lights" rule. I remember driving back from visiting my dad and I made a wrong turn. I was stopped at a red light when a bunch of people started approaching my car. I ran the red light and got pulled over like two minutes later for. I thought I was going to get a ticket..instead the cop was asking if I was okay!! He said that most people, especially females, driving by themselves at night don;t stop at the red lights for that reason!! :eek: But the suburbs not too far away are nice...and the area Wayne is in is nice too!

haha wow thats pretty crazy. I do know what you mean though, it can get pretty scary a mile or so off campus.

How does the general consensus come about that UMD school of medicine is poorly located? Its right up the street from Camden yards, and very safe and populated during the day. Unless you're going for a jog up MLK to Druid Hill at night, you're quite safe.

I agree, except for the occasional incident, the area around campus is fine until you cross MLK (but when it goes downhill from there, it reaaaaally goes downhill. Everyone dumps on Hopkins for being around rough neighborhoods, but the West Side of town is the part that makes me a little anxious to pass through.)

In terms of things to do, I have to admit UM has it all over Hopkins, hands down, that is a fun neighborhood.

My Mom teaches at UM-SOM and has never had a problem around there (and loves the place, is still mad at me for not going there!)

Dude, people who've lived in B'more forever (50+ yrs) think all of it is dangerous... I guess unless you're a Federal Hill/Canton/Fells Point yuppie. :p

Dude, people who've lived in B'more forever (50+ yrs) think all of it is dangerous... I guess unless you're a Federal Hill/Canton/Fells Point yuppie. :p

The very nature of what you just said is contradictory, you're giving the assumption that all of Baltimore is dangerous, but yet if you frequent Federal Hill, Canton, and Fells Point you dont think so? What you just said aside, of course Baltimore can be dangerous, some parts obviously more then others. To regards of what was said, It was that the immediate area of UM-SOM is not bad, and I would have to agree. The occasional hoodrat can be found wandering anywhere though, even in the "Illustrious" Fells Point :laugh:, but thats any city for you.

Are you sure you were in the tenderloin? It is really bad over there. Really really bad.
Folks from out of town have a habit of thinking the Tenderloin isn't that bad a neighborhood. Which is why they're easy pickings to the locals.

I've noticed that for most white folks, the "danger" factor of a neighborhood is often strangely tied in to how many black faces they see. I guess black youth are menacing and asian youth are just kind of cute. Okay black communities are "ghetto" but latino gangland barrios I don't like driving through never bother out of towners.

I lived in the Tenderloin for about two years. Trust me: it's a rotten part of town. The nicest thing about it is the fact that you're close enough to drag yourself to Geary Street if you get shot.

The very nature of what you just said is contradictory, you're giving the assumption that all of Baltimore is dangerous, but yet if you frequent Federal Hill, Canton, and Fells Point you dont think so? What you just said aside, of course Baltimore can be dangerous, some parts obviously more then others.

What I meant, actually, was that people who live in those areas tend to be oblivious to the rest of the city. Then again, if I'd just paid $400,000 for a 1bed condo on a pier that's gonna sink in three years, I'd ignore the rest of it too. It's really quite tourist-y, pseudo-Baltimore as well in the up-and-coming neighborhoods- the "real" Baltimore is gone and has be recreated as a charactericture of itself, i.e. Hampden and the Balmer Hon. Edit: Oh, I just thought of this, in context of the earlier post... the FH/C/FP denziens tend to be new to the area. So it's still shiny. /edit

FH/C/FP may not be as dangerous as the rest of Baltimore, but a lot of that is because the housing is crazy expensive or because of the tourists. And there are no buses. :(

But I'm a cynic. :p

Folks from out of town have a habit of thinking the Tenderloin isn't that bad a neighborhood. Which is why they're easy pickings to the locals.

I've noticed that for most white folks, the "danger" factor of a neighborhood is often strangely tied in to how many black faces they see. I guess black youth are menacing and asian youth are just kind of cute. Okay black communities are "ghetto" but latino gangland barrios I don't like driving through never bother out of towners.

I lived in the Tenderloin for about two years. Trust me: it's a rotten part of town. The nicest thing about it is the fact that you're close enough to drag yourself to Geary Street if you get shot.

Used to live in southeast DC, now in Oakland.

And oh.... I'm black

There was a pretty disturbing incident recently that involved a columbia student, but she lived in hamilton heights, an area of north harlem.
omg yes. disturbing isn't the word, i was horrified until they captured that guy. google for that story if anyone is interested, but def not the norm for either campus.

Commuting to the medical center campus from other areas of western manhattan is fairly easy because it's on both the red and blue lines. The A train runs express from 59th to 125th, and is a quick way to the medical center if you live south of the park.

A few things:
Actually, I believe NYC is the safest big city in the country. You learn to be a little street smart and you're fine. Honestly, and New Yorkers are great. They're litterbugs, but great to just watch and interact with.
Downstate is definitely in the worst area, hands down. Einstein is in fact in one of the better areas of the Bronx. I went to hs in the BX and I have seen the better neighborhoods and I have seen the worst. Einstein is definitely in the 2nd best neighborhood of the Bronx (right after Riverdale). It would def be tied with Columbia and Mt. Sinai in terms of safety. They all have their little "dangers" but come on, that is what adds diversity!
Clearly, NYU and Cornell have the best locations. They are both beautiful and in affluent neighborhoods, w/ Cornell in the ever coveted 10021 zip. That's obviously not everything though.

I have totally been on the subway in the shadiest, deserted areas of NYC at all hours of the night. As a woman, I have also roamed the streets late at night in so-called dangerous neighborhoods alone many times and it's not a big deal. Am I testing my luck? Maybe. I just always have a couple coins to throw at the homeless panhandlers ready in my pocket.

I have to strongly disagree with this. I grew up in NYC (am now in Chicago for college) and I have never, ever felt unsafe in any part of NYC. I spent most of my time south of ~90th St. and in Queens, but I took the train home countless times late at night and never once felt unsafe. My walk home from the train station is through a very lively area. Both on and off the trains were no different in terms of crowdedness at 3 AM or at 2 PM.

Buses are different because you're not waiting in a train station (which I feel safer in than on the street alone late at night). And if you live in a very residential area, the walk home might not be as great. But I've come home at 3 AM before when the train was so crowded I couldn't get a seat. So yea, get used to the city first and know how to carry yourself and you have no reason to fear the public transportation fear at any time of day.

Totally agreed. The city never sleeps, really.

So yeah, clearly, I love New York.