Med Schools not accepting community college prereqs a myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Some med schools do not accept prereqs taken at a community colleges."

I have heard this so many times, I took it to be fact. But when I tried to inquire, the only example I could get was very vague mentions of Boston University.

It turns out, Boston University does accept prereqs taken at community colleges. But only for students who attended community colleges full time prior to transferring to a four year university. Boston University does not accept prereqs taken while enrolled at a four year university.

Can anyone give an example of a med school that does not take prereqs at a community college? If not, let's stop perpetuating this myth that does nothing but stress out students who transfer to a four year. There's enough premed paranoia going around without creating any more.

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, lets not use this thread as another opportunity to debate whether or not adcoms value community college coursework less. That's been debated on many, many threads already. I'd rather see if anyone can refute the "no community college prereqs as myth" theory.

I think I heard on this forum that Wake forest doesn't. I can't confirm that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:

I have heard this so many times, I took it to be fact. But when I tried to inquire, the only example I could get was very vague mentions of Boston University.

It turns out, Boston University does accept prereqs taken at community colleges. But only for students who attended community colleges full time prior to transferring to a four year university. Boston University does not accept prereqs taken while enrolled at a four year university.

Can anyone give an example of a med school that does not take prereqs at a community college? If not, let's stop perpetuating this myth that does nothing but stress out students who transfer to a four year. There's enough premed paranoia going around without creating any more.

Vanderbilt told me that they required some of the pre-reqs (I forget which ones) to be done at a four year university.

also for vandy, u have to finish all ur prereqs by fall 06. bummer. didn't know that

fullefect1 said:
I think I heard on this forum that Wake forest doesn't. I can't confirm that though.

I called last year and inquired about pre reqs, and the lady I spoke to said they don't take pre reqs from a community college. But....

From the Wake Forest website:

"Prerequisite course work from community colleges is strongly discouraged because of the difficulty in adequately assessing the quality of that preparation. If a prerequisite course is completed at a community college, student must take subsequent courses in that discipline at a four-year college or university in the United States or Canada."

Sondra said:
I called last year and inquired about pre reqs, and the lady I spoke to said they don't take pre reqs from a community college. But....

From the Wake Forest website:

"Prerequisite course work from community colleges is strongly discouraged because of the difficulty in adequately assessing the quality of that preparation. If a prerequisite course is completed at a community college, student must take subsequent courses in that discipline at a four-year college or university in the United States or Canada."

yes contrary to popular belief, I havealso researched this topic.... nearly (122/125) of the Us medical schools will accept pre-requisitess from CC.... some require they be prior to attending a 4 year for your Bach... hope that helps....

notdeadyet said:

While it is a misconception that prereqs taken at community colleges are not accepted by medical schools, there are two things to take note of:

a. Most medical schools would prefer prereqs from a 4 year university. Considering that thousands of people apply for only a few spots, I would not be surprised if adcoms would choose the guy who took prereqs from a 4 year as opposed to the guy who took prereqs from a community college. Basically, what I'm saying is that even if med schools do not forbid taking prereqs at community college, they certainly don't recommend it....and that could potentially hurt one's application.

b. A lot of people prefer to take one or two pre reqs at a community college because the particular courses are especially difficult for one reason or another (material, teacher, class type etc). In that sense, taking pre reqs from a community college is a no-no. Most med schools state that they only accept pre reqs from community college if someone is fully enrolled in a community college while taking those pre reqs.

Admittedly, I have no hard evidence to support my aforementioned notions, and my post is merely speculation. However, I still feel that it is relevant to the topic at hand.

Despite all of this, you are correct in debunking this myth. I simply made this post to add on to your own.
-Dr. P.

notdeadyet said:

Do they accept them for postbac students who already have a degree? This myth seems to pop up on the postbac board quite often but it seems all colleges should accept CC credit from someone who already has a bachelor's.