Med Schools offering aid to students they want

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainBuff

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, I see someone talking about getting acceptance and a money offer to attend a certain school. Do you guys have any examples, first hand? I am curious to see how often it happens and under what conditions, how much aid, is it loans or scholarship money?

Members don't see this ad.

Occasionally, I see someone talking about getting acceptance and a money offer to attend a certain school. Do you guys have any examples, first hand? I am curious to see how often it happens and under what conditions, how much aid, is it loans or scholarship money?

I know Michigan will match any scholarship offer you get from another school. But I have no clue what the schools are looking for when they give out money, because I've seen people with high scores, and not so high scores talk about getting scholarship offers (though I've noticed most of them are people with very high GPA/MCAT scores).

I think it all boils down to how much they think you will contribute to their institution, and I'm sure having multiple acceptances helps.

I haven't been offered anything. Sucks... but with my #'s, I can't say I expected to. So, I'm considering the HPSP. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Members don't see this ad :)

some schools give out merit based scholarships as an incentive to attend their school. It is not that common. A handful of people in my class. Conditions for me was to maintain a 3.5 throughout school.

My school gave out some small amounts of need-based aid, and some URM scholarships and maybe 2-4 other full rides, but the rest of us got nada. For whatever its worth, I had high numbers but I didn't get scholarship offers from any of the schools where I was accepted. I guess it is school-dependent as far as whether they give out any scholarship money just to get you to attend...