Med schools shouldn't accept non-science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bengalswillwin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
because: ( I think)

1) they want easy way out
2) probably can't handle hard science courses
3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy
4) don't have true passion for Biological Sciences

edit: took out some inappropriate contents

Members don't see this ad.

3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy; example - that guy in Virgina Tech

Yes. And the Bengals Will Win.

3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy; example - that guy in Virgina Tech

It's funny that you act like science majors are better than others for whatever reason is floating around your head. Sounds like someone is angry that some more qualified student probably took his spot at the school of his choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny that you act like science majors are better than others for whatever reason is floating around your head. Sounds like someone is angry that some more qualified student probably took his spot at the school of his choice.

I don't think it is fair!

3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy; example - that guy in Virgina Tech (a bit extreme but still

I majored in English at Virginia Tech. I also majored in psychology. I also took science courses, pre-reqs and beyond, and never earned less than a B+. I also did it all by sometimes taking twenty-two credit-hours a semester. Thanks for contributing.;)

How is it not fair? Obviously the schools seem to think these other students are qualified. The funny thing is that many of them go on to become great doctors.

I majored in Hard Science and I studied my butt off to just to get into a med school while this gilr I know majored in English and minor in music gets into a IVY school. And she didnt study as much as me

I majored in Hard Science and I studied my butt off to just to get into a med school while this gilr I know majored in English and minor in music gets into a IVY school. And she didnt study as much as me

What's even funnier is that she probably did better on the MCATs than you, to boot. :D

but did she have a better mcat, better LORs, and more volunteer/healthrelated experience?

Sounds like you're just an idiot.

P.S. What kind of major is Hard Science.

P.P.S. What's a gilr

Members don't see this ad :)
:( sadly, it is true :oops: She got one more point than me
Bet she nailed the interviews too. Riddle me this, Batman? If she was week in the sciences, how'd she beat your MCAT score.

I majored in English at Virginia Tech. I also majored in psychology. I also took science courses, pre-reqs and beyond, and never earned less than a B+. I also did it all by sometimes taking twenty-two credit-hours a semester. Thanks for contributing.;)

BTW. You will never receive a more thorough trouncing than you did here. Give up now.

Sounds like you're just an idiot.

P.S. What kind of major is Hard Science.

P.P.S. What's a gilr

A gilr is a third sex; apparently us non-Hard Science majors rarely have heard of it.

I majored in Hard Engineering and minored in Hard Music.

It says in your profile you are pre-health/undecided...that seams reaaaaal hard

p.s. bengals suck

3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy; example - that guy in Virgina Tech (a bit extreme but still

So how about other science majors? Physics / chemistry majors? Or even engineering majors? They might not care for the crappy medical science taught in medical school either.

Furthermore, you are stereotyping humanities majors.

I sincerely hope that you don't actually think that hard science is all there is to medicine or you are going to be in for a big shock later. In fact, once you are out of medical school you are probably not going to use that much science at all unless you are doing research. If you are a primary care physician, a large part your practice is going to be figuring out how to relate to people - something that humanities majors are particularly good at because that is what they studied.

Even if you do clinical research, those coming from the social sciences are particularly well prepared because all the statistical tools used in clinical studies comes out of the social sciences to begin with.

If you want to do hardcore biological sciences go to graduate school.

Anyways, this is flamebait. If you guys actually think this way, you need to question why you are in medicine to begin with. Your statements make you seem quite disillusioned.

:barf:

Please, don't feed him

So how about other science majors? Physics / chemistry majors?

If you guys actually think this way, you need to question why you are in medicine to begin with. Your statements make you seem quite disillusioned.

In all fairness, I assume by "hard science," the OP meant biology, chemistry, physics.

But yes, agreed, OP is an idiot.

Probably should not accept people with huge egos either :laugh:

Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get the...well...you know the rest.

Also, I think you should share your science-only philosophy with all of the schools you interview with. They're sure to love it! :love:

Sorry, I shouldnt' have brought up the VTech incident. That was uncalled for. Anyways, I am bitter to see how many non-science majors get into good med schools.

3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy

edit: took out some inappropriate contents

and med school shouldn't accept people like you because of your lack of open-mindness. And because you're a crybaby too...

If you want to do hardcore biological sciences go to graduate school.

I was waiting for someone to say this. :thumbup:

As far as the OP's post, I demand a new icon, specifically, one with a troll in the place of the horse: :beat:

Sorry, I shouldnt' have brought up the VTech incident. Anyways, I am bitter to see how many non-science majors get into good med schools.

You're an applicant. You don't know what schools want. The admissions committees do know what they want, and they take what they want. Ever thought about the fact that your friend did better than you and was a more interesting applicant/classmate/future coleague. In fact, I bet being an english major with the science requirments (which are very easy, and not that numerous) probably made her a more interesting applicant, one less chair they had to fill with someone who thought biology (or whatever your major is) is the only thing worth studying.

This thread is hilarious :laugh:

I can see the next thread: My dad can beat up your dad, so I should get into med school and not you!

:( sadly, it is true :oops: She got one more point than me

.....and the truth comes out!

your position is not only asinine, it's downright childish. life ISN'T fair. how are you only learning this lesson now? the reality is, I can totally see a medical school wanting an english major/music minor who has interests outside of science. by taking only science majors, med schools would be limiting themselves severely in terms of producing doctors patients can relate to. you may not want to admit it to yourself, but "hard science" probably produces some of the most socially awkward people around.

and when it came to the interviews she probably came across as a much more rounded person who might actually have something to talk to her patients about.

I think nonscience majors just have more time to do a lot of other thiings then study. Granted they still must do well in general bio, physics, chem, ochem, they do not have to take classes that force you to live in the library like Pchem, Genetics, Cell Bio, Biochem, Differential equations, etc.

Anyways, I am bitter to see how many non-science majors get into good med schools.

Right. I'm going to make another argument: medical schools should be wary of accepting bitter trolls who start threads to dis non-science majors for no apparent reason other than to get back at a "gilr" who was quite possibly a better applicant in every way than he. :rolleyes:

if OP is not a troll then he is a pretty obvious *****--so either way, there's no use feeding him.

An individual who can preform well in her premed prereqs and do well on the MCAT WHILE getting another major (and minor) that requires completely different courses is probably very attractive to a med school. Not only are they likely well rounded, but they are not taking "the easy way out" and being a biology major. (Most prereq requirements will be required for biology majors and biology is not quite as difficult as the other sciences).

I think nonscience majors just have more time to do a lot of other thiings then study. Granted they still must do well in general bio, physics, chem, ochem, they do not have to take classes that force you to live in the library like Pchem, Genetics, Cell Bio, Biochem, Differential equations, etc.

None of the classes you mentioned are required, therefore you CHOOSE to take them when you decided to major in X. Humanities majors have stuff to do that is equally as hard (40 page papers much) and requires as much work. I was a History minor, and my senior year I worked much much harder for my upper level history classes than I did for my upper level science classes. Reading 300 pages in a night ain't easy.

Which is harder getting an A+ on organismal biology or getting an A- on any philosophy course?
Grow up man, my bcpm is 3.88 my OA is 3.66 amd I'm sure many students are in the same shoes

Which is harder getting an A+ on organismal biology or getting an A- on any philosophy course?
Grow up man, my bcpm is 3.88 my OA is 3.66 amd I'm sure many students are in the same shoes

But my dad can beat up your dad!

Both science and nonscience majors are hard in their own ways. It just depends on the person. I much rather take physics then take an english class because I know I can excel in physics but not so much in english. For another person they may be able to kickass at english but aren't good at physics.

Sorry, I shouldnt' have brought up the VTech incident. That was uncalled for. Anyways, I am bitter to see how many non-science majors get into good med schools.

Ahh the poor pre-med "major" is mad.. SOrry bud, but those of us who weren't science majors deserve just as much to get in as complete tools who come trolling on message boards. French and HIstory double major. Never less than B+ in any science class. Booyah sucker. Good luck with your personal skills in an interview!

If Genetics and Cell Bio require you to live in the library it is possible that med school will be difficult.

I think non science majors will probably have a more difficult time the first month or two of med school. I don't think that that fact is sufficient to major in science or to lower the admissions of those who are not science majors.

I honestly wish that I had majored in something other than Biology. It would have probably made me more rounded and would have made college more interesting (and perhaps would have been more worthwhile to my life than helping me out the first two months of med school).
Think of it this way. Had I majored in Psychology, Spanish, or Art, I would retain something that could have helped me past med school. Spanish would have been very helpful in my practice, art would have been a great hobby, and Psychology is just plain interesting (and might give me a more complete view of my patients). Majoring in science only helps me the first month of med school and thats it. Had I not majored in science, I would be no worse off after the first month.

Hmmm, have you ever taken Khant? Hegel? these guys aren't exactly a breeze to understand. How much original scholarship did you do while regurgitating facts in bio? Probably not as much as a history major who had to do original research.....

Hmmm, have you ever taken Khant? Hegel? these guys aren't exactly a breeze to understand. How much original scholarship did you do while regurgitating facts in bio? Probably not as much as a history major who had to do original research.....

That's what I exactly meant, writing a good english/philosophy paper is much harder than Calculus I and introduction to biology

Look guys. I think we're losing sight of what this thread is really about. The Bengals will never win. Ever.

would you like some cheese with that ...whine?+pity+