Med Schools that accept 3+1 Programs w/ only 90 credit hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M4ttjabz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice most medical schools (DO and MD) accept students with only 90credit hours of undergraduate work, but in practice ~95% of matriculants have completed atleast a bachelors degree. How hard is it to get into a med school with only 90hrs prior to matriculation? Several colleges, Virginia Tech imparticularly, have 3+1 biology programs, where the B.S. is awarded after the 1st year of medical school, if applying to med schools, would you note this on the applications, and would applicants from these types of programs have to have significantly better stats than those with undgraduate degreees at time of matriculation?

thanks,

-matt

Members don't see this ad.

The state med school here says that you have to have a minimum of 90 cr hrs to apply, but according to several grads they pretty much toss out anyone's app who isn't going to have completed their BA/BS.

I'd be interested to know which schools offer a 3 +1 program...

Contact the admissions dept at the school where you want to attend to see what they think about going to med school w/o a degree, and after 90 credits at Undegrad school (I'm NOT talking about programs where you apply as a Senior in High School!).

I applied after my second year to NJMS, having taken MCATs in April of Soph year and was accepted. I am finishing up my junior year, and I won't be getting a bachelors degree. If you're like me--sure of where you want to go and about med school in general, don't care about bachelors degree--then this may be for you... save time, money, etc. Of course, if you want to enjoy college and mature or get the degree, then you should stay the full course.

One more thing, most people I talked to including my advisors, didn't encourage me (to say the least). But many do it, though not a whole lot. And, this route is not talked-about widely. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
from my experience this cycle, i think they care mostly about your gpa and mcat. so if you can take the mcat and do well, maybe above the avg for the school you want, and have a good gpa, i think you would be just fine. but, yeah, just call up the adm office and see what they say.

thanks for all the responses

As far as schools that offer a 3+1 program, do a search on google, I found a few. In VA, both VTech and Bridgewater( a small liberal arts college) will award a bachelors in Biology after the first year at an accredited medical school, all of the MS1 year basic sciences would transfer back as bio electives. The downside to this is that you would probably have to take all of your prereqs during your first two years to have the grades in time for application to med schools.

-Matt