1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Med Schools that do not require MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MaluJGNY, Nov 25, 2002.

1. MaluJGNY

MaluJGNY Junior Member

Does anyone know of any Medical Schools in the U.S. that do not require the MCAT? Not that I'm doubting mysef....just wanted to know if there was such an option...I'd appreciate it if someone could hit me up with a reply! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

All AAMC schools require the MCAT to my knowledge, and many of the non-AAMC schools do as well (UT system, Colombia, etc). Im pretty sure such schools dont exist in the US.

4. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

TECHNICALLY, Johns Hopkins does not require the MCAT and they say they don't care about it for admissions purposes.

However, I've never heard of anyone actually getting in there without taking the MCAT or with having a low score either. Bottom line? Sorry, but you gotta take it and do well

5. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I believe there are several bs/md programs one can enter right out of high school that do not require the mcat. I believe wash u is such a program, although you should check.

6. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

wash u doesnt have such a program. a list of combined 7-8 year med programs (undergrad+med) are available from MSAR. some of them still require you get a minimum score on the MCAT to get into the med school

7. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

Actually, the lastest MSAR says that Hopkins does require the MCAT, and a bachelor's degree. I think someone said on the other forums that since they joined AMCAS they have to require the MCAT.

Anyways, I think the only way you can get into medical school in the U.S. without taking the MCAT is by joining accelerated or guaranteed admission programs out of high school. Most make you take the MCAT but a few don't.

8. MaluJGNY

MaluJGNY Junior Member

That sucks...Thanks for the info though... Mt.Sinai in New York is another school that has the B.S./PhD program.

9. bengreenfield

bengreenfield Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You may want to try researching schools *not* in the AAMC. I'm aware of a few in Texas, and perhaps other states as well.

10. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Texas schools have their own system called TMDAS which requires the MCAT. To my knowledge, every school in TX requires the MCAT.

11. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

Is the MCAT bigger in Texas?

12. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I do know someone who got into Johns Hopkins with out taking the MCAT. However, I do believe they now require it. The person I know had told me at the time he went the requirement was a standardized test, so he used his ACT score. Which was awsome.