Med schools that do not screen....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search for this but it turned up 3487924738279 threads that really didn't relate at all. What med schools do you guys know of that do not do the initial screen of applicants based on MCAT, GPA, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
I did a search for this but it turned up 3487924738279 threads that really didn't relate at all. What med schools do you guys know of that do not do the initial screen of applicants based on MCAT, GPA, etc?

I think it's a better idea to find schools that do screen.

Some off my head:

Stanford, NorthWestern, GeorgeTown, UMiami, Vanderbilt

Originally posted by Kashue
I think it's a better idea to find schools that do screen.

Some off my head:

Stanford, NorthWestern, GeorgeTown, UMiami, Vanderbilt

Plus all the UC's and Duke (although i think they might've changed their policy recently).

Members don't see this ad :)
nyu screens.

They all screen based on MCAT's and GPA's. They want people who can become doctors, after all.

U Pitt screens! :)

I thought that there were actually schools that didn't use computer algorithms that just plug and chug your GPA and MCAT through a formula to see if it meets a certain bar...(I'm assuming they do this to see who gets a secondary and who doesn't).

From my own experience, I know that the following schools screen pre-secondary:

Wake Forest University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Maryland (out-of-staters only)
University of South Carolina

I thought that there were actually schools that didn't use computer algorithms that just plug and chug your GPA and MCAT through a formula to see if it meets a certain bar...(I'm assuming they do this to see who gets a secondary and who doesn't).

You mean schools that have people scan the applications and do the GPA and MCAT numbers in thier head??? I'm not sure people in the pre-med forum would know that and I doubt if it would make a difference.

Schools probably only reject people with very low number with an algorithm like them...most peoples' app will still have to be read (Or "scanned" through).

I doubt a M.D. school will accept someone with MCAT below 20, combined with a GPA below 2.0
MCAT and GPA are not perfect indicators of success in Med school, but they are fairly reliable on a certain level.

Yes, I think every other school except the ones we mentioned above do not "screen" using the method you mentioned above.

Originally posted by sgilani
nyu screens.

since NYU does not have a secondary, they technically don't screen. but they do put the ball in your court by telling you right away that if you don't have at least a 3.5 gpa and 10's in the science sections, your $85 could be better spent else where.

NYU was nice enough to give me a refund for the $85 after mailing my entire application back to me :D PM me if you wanna know why hehe

Originally posted by CalBeE

MCAT and GPA are not perfect indicators of success in Med school, but they are fairly reliable on a certain level.

If they are....they are only reliable for the MSI and MSII years. Beyond that, your interview/extracurriculars SHOULD carry more weight.
Good scores does not mean good doctor.
stomper

I know that Loyola in Chicago also screens pre-secondary.

UVA doesn't screen anyone. If you applied to them, you will get a secondary.

I don't think Univer. of Maryland screens, because I am out of state and they sent me a secondary before they had all my AMCAS application.

Drexel doesn't screen
Marshall doesn't screen

Thos are the only ones that I applied to that do not screen.

Originally posted by CalBeE
NYU was nice enough to give me a refund for the $85 after mailing my entire application back to me :D PM me if you wanna know why hehe

i know why!! :X

Just about everything I applied to doesn't screen pre-secondary(except for two schools):

NY state schools
Cornell (Weill)
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Harvard
UVA & GW (as mentioned above)
U Maryland
Morehouse
Meharry