Med schools that take 5 years...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigma85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know CCLCM is a 5-year program where you can also get a masters', but what other programs usually end up taking 5 years to complete for only the MD degree (Stanford? Yale?). I think Yale encourages an extra year for research during which it charges no tuition. Any other programs where most students take an extra year for research?

Members don't see this ad.

At both Stanford and Harvard the average MD-only student takes longer than 4 years.

I know CCLCM is a 5-year program where you can also get a masters', but what other programs usually end up taking 5 years to complete for only the MD degree (Stanford? Yale?). I think Yale encourages an extra year for research during which it charges no tuition. Any other programs where most students take an extra year for research?

At many schools a year of research is encouraged if you hope to match into certain uber-competitive residencies. But it tends to be a relatively modest percentage of students who do this --I don't know of too many schools where "most" of the students take an extra year on top of the usual 4. Mostly because it's too expensive (labs don't pay that well), and the road ahead of you (remaining med school, 3-6 years of residency, fellowship etc) is already quite long.

Members don't see this ad :)
At many schools a year of research is encouraged if you hope to match into certain uber-competitive residencies. But it tends to be a relatively modest percentage of students who do this --I don't know of too many schools where "most" of the students take an extra year on top of the usual 4. Mostly because it's too expensive (labs don't pay that well), and the road ahead of you (remaining med school, 3-6 years of residency, fellowship etc) is already quite long.

Yes, I agree there aren't "too many" of these schools due to the postgraduate requirements. But it seems Harvard and Stanford are two of them. I would like to know if there are others.

Yale, as already mentioned, keeps a lot of their students for a 5th year. Some stay to do research, others to finish what they didn't by being too 'laid back' during those years :D Some other schools offer a 5 year program that formalize the research part so that you get a masters as well.