1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Med schools that take 5 years...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by enigma85, Apr 17, 2007.

1. enigma85

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know CCLCM is a 5-year program where you can also get a masters', but what other programs usually end up taking 5 years to complete for only the MD degree (Stanford? Yale?). I think Yale encourages an extra year for research during which it charges no tuition. Any other programs where most students take an extra year for research?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Towelie

Towelie Resident Towel
    5+ Year Member

At both Stanford and Harvard the average MD-only student takes longer than 4 years.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At many schools a year of research is encouraged if you hope to match into certain uber-competitive residencies. But it tends to be a relatively modest percentage of students who do this --I don't know of too many schools where "most" of the students take an extra year on top of the usual 4. Mostly because it's too expensive (labs don't pay that well), and the road ahead of you (remaining med school, 3-6 years of residency, fellowship etc) is already quite long.

5. enigma85

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, I agree there aren't "too many" of these schools due to the postgraduate requirements. But it seems Harvard and Stanford are two of them. I would like to know if there are others.

6. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yale, as already mentioned, keeps a lot of their students for a 5th year. Some stay to do research, others to finish what they didn't by being too 'laid back' during those years :D Some other schools offer a 5 year program that formalize the research part so that you get a masters as well.