Med Schools that value high verbal and interesting experiences?

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all! First post, and just have a quickie question...

I just took the MCAT 2 days ago, and I already know that I did much better in the Verbal and writing...so my question is, does anyone know of some second or third tier schools that value a high verbal, high writing section on the MCAT? I should also say that my non-science GPA is a 4.0, and my overall is around a 3.2. As you can probably see, the literary and humanities subjects come easier to me, but I really have to work it for the science part.

Also, my ECs include the usual 6 months ER volunteer, 6 months research experience, but I also have the following more obscure experiences (in addition to some others):
1. Member of an a cappella group for 5 years
2. Actor in school production
3. Spring Dance Festival, modern dance
4. Study abroad for a year in France (took my science classes in French!)
5. After graduation, worked for an Acupuncture and nutrition clinic for 1 year to investigate natural/integrative medicine.

Any suggestions for schools would be much appreciated!! I am looking at U of Vermont, it seems like their mission statement did not say too much about the MCAT or a super-high GPA. Also, U of Maryland cited something like "we seeks students with unusual talents..." etc. Sounded kind of funny to me. I make my own soap, is that unusual? hehe.

Anyways, thank you. I love this forum!

mc4435

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Pretty much every school places emphasis on the verbal score and on EC's.

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What is your science GPA? It seems like it must be very low to bring your overall GPA down that far.
High verbal is definitely valued everywhere, but as a plus in ADDITION to good sciene grades, not as a substitute.

xcgirl

Psych
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
mid-atlantic somewhere
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a high verbal and good ECs (with a not good gpa), so I guess anywhere I got an interview? Check my mdapps.
Off the top of my head, probably GW, Mayo, Case Western...

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I had a high verbal and good ECs (with a not good gpa), so I guess anywhere I got an interview? Check my mdapps.
I see from your MDApps you got accepted at RWJMS, but that you were probably gonna withdraw? Have you done so, and what is your #1? Reason I am asking is that I am still waiting for a final decision from RWJ from my February interview and that will not come until mid-May.

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So.. the three schools you got an interview are my three dream schools... any hints? :D

xrevision

Senior Procrastinator
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will the science classes you took in France work here?

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
yes, i am pretty sure my science classes from France will transfer over, because the University was sponsored by my school. And after just reading the AMCAS huge booklet thing, I think I only need to request official transcripts from my main school (UC Davis).

According to my calculations, it seems that my science GPA must have been a 2.6...but that seems WAY low, considering I mostly had Bs and a total of maybe 3 Cs...hm. I know I didn't get lower than an A in any other class besides science.

My science grades were not that bad, in fact my major was in neuroscience/physiology. I really enjoy the subject matter, and finally towards the end I developed better ways of studying and taking tests. So my grades show improvement, by and large. Will do, thank you for the suggestions xcgirl.

Textuality

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I second GW, and tentatively suggest BU only because I'm pretty sure they don't just interview high numbers (in fact, they were rejecting high # folk left and right, so hopefully that's a sign that they aren't all about GPA and such).

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Cool! thanks for the suggestions. By the way, may be a far out question, but are there any schools out there that have more "tree-hugger" values?? May seem silly, but since I consider myself to be fairly eco-conscious, I'm wondering if any med schools have recently jumped on the green-living bandwagon (doesn't even have to be that abstract...energy conservation and stuff like that would be interesting to me).

Living in Davis, CA for four years really spoiled me! Everybody eats organically and rides their bike to class/work.

just askin ;)

Doctorverardoll

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Baltimore
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tulane seems to like interesting ECs, especially of the creative sort (dance, singing, painting).

Check my medapps, I had a high verbal (14), low physical science(8), and varied ECs.
p.s. Can't get too much more tree hugger than Vermont.

valacious

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm another one with a high verbal and some interesting ECs and I second that pretty much any school is going to like those things provided the rest of your application is solid. If you're interested in primary care like me (or can fake it) than try OHSU and UVM. If the rest of your MCAT score is good then definitely apply to WashU. They are suckers for a high MCAT score.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
yes, i am pretty sure my science classes from France will transfer over, because the University was sponsored by my school. And after just reading the AMCAS huge booklet thing, I think I only need to request official transcripts from my main school (UC Davis).

According to my calculations, it seems that my science GPA must have been a 2.6...but that seems WAY low, considering I mostly had Bs and a total of maybe 3 Cs...hm. I know I didn't get lower than an A in any other class besides science.

My science grades were not that bad, in fact my major was in neuroscience/physiology. I really enjoy the subject matter, and finally towards the end I developed better ways of studying and taking tests. So my grades show improvement, by and large. Will do, thank you for the suggestions xcgirl.
Not to rain on your parade, but will a 2.6 Science GPA really cut it??? I think most schools would automatically screen you out for that. :(

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

I just took the MCAT 2 days ago, and I already know that I did much better in the Verbal and writing...so my question is, does anyone know of some second or third tier schools that value a high verbal, high writing section on the MCAT? I should also say that my non-science GPA is a 4.0, and my overall is around a 3.2. As you can probably see, the literary and humanities subjects come easier to me, but I really have to work it for the science part.
Medicine involves some science... you sure this is the right field for you?

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, I am sure medicine is the right field for me. I am just trying to think how I can best portray myself. I adore science and everything having to do with anatomy and physiology. The only reason my science is not 100% is because I have trouble with advanced physics and chem, to some degree. I got all As in my upper-level biochemistry, neurophysiology and advanced cellular respiration classes. I'm just saying physics was like a B-C range...

with that being said, I am not sure about my science GPA still...I think I need to calculate that one first, because it may be higher than I thought (i got that 2.6 by just averaging both science +nonscience/2)

Tulane, OHSU, UVM I'll have to look into those. Yes, I've heard that about WashU as well...they like the high scores! U of Vermont would be my number 1 choice, but I hope my grades are high enough. And don't worry, nobody is raining on my parade :laugh:.

iatrogenic7

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student

Also, my ECs include the usual 6 months ER volunteer, 6 months research experience, but I also have the following more obscure experiences (in addition to some others):
1. Member of an a cappella group for 5 years
2. Actor in school production
3. Spring Dance Festival, modern dance
4. Study abroad for a year in France (took my science classes in French!)
5. After graduation, worked for an Acupuncture and nutrition clinic for 1 year to investigate natural/integrative medicine.

Any suggestions for schools would be much appreciated!! I am looking at U of Vermont, it seems like their mission statement did not say too much about the MCAT or a super-high GPA. Also, U of Maryland cited something like "we seeks students with unusual talents..." etc. Sounded kind of funny to me. I make my own soap, is that unusual? hehe.

Anyways, thank you. I love this forum!
Most of the primary care focused schools would probably favor high verbal scores. You can consult usnews for a list of schools in that category.

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
thank you!! such great advice everyone, i really appreciate it.

iatrogenic7

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Medicine involves some science... you sure this is the right field for you?

You don't need to excel in the sciences to become a good doctor, especially within primary care. As long as OP has the right motivation and passion for the field, it won't be a problem.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You don't need to excel in the sciences to become a good doctor, especially within primary care. As long as OP has the right motivation and passion for the field, it won't be a problem.
But you need greater than a 2.6 in order to gain admission into a US allopathic school.

Ki45toryu

In this corner...
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not trying to jinx you out of an acceptance, but maybe over the summer and fall you can take some science classes to help the science GPA while you are still in the admin process. If schools see you get a few A's during the admin cycle, it would really strengthen your profile.

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
not everyone can have a 3.9 like you amwatts!! that's really high btw. anyway, i may have made an error on the science gpa, i haven't really looked at my transcript in a little while, so i will need to investigate. but my main question was about the caliber of schools, not necessarily on my grades :)

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
that's not a bad idea. i was thinking about applying this june, pending an OK mcat...you mean this would be good to update my file with if i get some interviews?

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
not everyone can have a 3.9 like you amwatts!! that's really high btw. anyway, i may have made an error on the science gpa, i haven't really looked at my transcript in a little while, so i will need to investigate. but my main question was about the caliber of schools, not necessarily on my grades :)
sorry..

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Cool! thanks for the suggestions. By the way, may be a far out question, but are there any schools out there that have more "tree-hugger" values?? May seem silly, but since I consider myself to be fairly eco-conscious, I'm wondering if any med schools have recently jumped on the green-living bandwagon (doesn't even have to be that abstract...energy conservation and stuff like that would be interesting to me).

Living in Davis, CA for four years really spoiled me! Everybody eats organically and rides their bike to class/work.

just askin ;)
Oh My, are you one of those people? :smuggrin:

Anyways, best of luck. Hopefully your well-roundedness will help you out

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh My, are you one of those people? :smuggrin:

Anyways, best of luck. Hopefully your well-roundedness will help you out
HAHA, i kinda am, but in a good way~! no dreds and i do shower all the time, so don't worry ;) but i just like to recycle, there's no crime in that!

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Not trying to jinx you out of an acceptance, but maybe over the summer and fall you can take some science classes to help the science GPA while you are still in the admin process. If schools see you get a few A's during the admin cycle, it would really strengthen your profile.
i don't know i didn't think of this sooner! i was actually holding off b/c I didn't want to deal with all the hulabaloo of submitting multiple transcripts. silly me...

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status
You'll probably do well if you really do get that high verbal and writing score. I always have respect for the more "humanities-oriented" premeds. Way more interesting to talk to :thumbup:

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You'll probably do well if you really do get that high verbal and writing score. I always have respect for the more "humanities-oriented" premeds. Way more interesting to talk to :thumbup:
Awwww, thank you!! I'm pulling for that verbal score too...but if you read the MCAT thread for the 4/19/08 exam like me, everybody is panicking!! let's hope the curve is higher! :D

coldweatherblue

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
wait til you get your results back to draw conclusions. I left the MCAT thinking that I got at least a 14 on VR and a 8 on PS, but I ended up getting the same score on each section. It may not be what you think it will be.... lol.

But at the same time, before even worrying about how the MCAT turns out, you need to make sure your transcript shows that you can handle science-heavy coursework. A 2.6 BCPM gpa is going to be a red flag at most (if not all) allopathic schools.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
source??? i've heard otherwise... i mean in comparison to the other sections, that is.
Verbal is the most challenging section on the MCAT to get a high score. If you do well on it, adcoms will take note, but it's not going to make-up for other weaknesses on your application.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
source??? i've heard otherwise... i mean in comparison to the other sections, that is.
I interpreted that along the lines of there aren't going to be many schools that go "Oh, you got a 4 in verbal? Screw it. You got 12s in the other stuff". Schools look for a nice well rounded mcat usually. You are going to have a hard time supplying a source for that, but I still think the verbal section is more important than the PS. You read all day as a doctor. I highly doubt you are going to worry about how far a ball can fly in the air with an angle of 40 degrees and an initial velocity of 25 m/s....or which way the charged particle with move in a magnetic field.

I do love me some right hand rule though.

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
do you think it would be a good idea to re-take those classes I got Cs in (physics and o-chem)? or should i stick with what i do well in, particularly biological sciences? thanks!

OP
neuroneato

neuroneato

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I interpreted that along the lines of there aren't going to be many schools that go "Oh, you got a 4 in verbal? Screw it. You got 12s in the other stuff". Schools look for a nice well rounded mcat usually. You are going to have a hard time supplying a source for that, but I still think the verbal section is more important than the PS. You read all day as a doctor. I highly doubt you are going to worry about how far a ball can fly in the air with an angle of 40 degrees and an initial velocity of 25 m/s....or which way the charged particle with move in a magnetic field.

I do love me some right hand rule though.

I'm hoping that when i get my scores back, they wont be too disproportionate. I wish physics and o-chem came easier to me, but I am very willing to work and work and work until I can get a little better at it...especially during the summer, i was thinking of re-taking those courses at my community college (see above).

you know what, I LOVE the RHR too!! it was one of the few sections in physics that really clicked with me!

btw, for you physics/math guys have any tips and tricks?? my thing is that i have trouble relating it to real life sometimes (like i only understand partial pressure as it relates to blood gases, optics as it relates to the eye...but that stuff about generators and blocks falling down hills can really throw me for a loop...especially when those equations and variables are so ornate!!)

thanks in advance. :D