Med schools today vs in your day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have comments on this? Are admissions to med schools today about the same as when you applied, or have things changed? I guess it would be especially valuable to hear input from long ago. I've heard that in the old days MCAT and GPA were worth much more, with extracurriculars playing much smaller roles. Fact or fallacy? Are med schools on a trend of turning out progressively better doctors, worse, or the same?

Eh, on second thought maybe I should've put this in the Everyone forum, but I can't move it now.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied in 1998, started med school in 1999. It was pretty competitive then but it seems like nowadays it's just on a much higher level of competitiveness. It seems like there are thousands of applicants with >35 MCATS, great grades, published research, and of course the coup-de-grace, volunteer experience in a pediatric cancer ward or a soup kitchen. It's almost as though you have to hire an application consultant to make sure you are doing things correctly as soon as you start high school. A lot of people know how to play the game. The unfortunate side effect is that it is probably keeping a lot of people who would otherwise be wonderful doctors out of medicine, because there are so many competitivos out there (many of whom are, also, wonderful people who also have that going for them - how do you compete with that?).

i must confess, ill soon be speaking with a consultant service for much needed help. the game is too much for me, the rule book too convoluted. the best players wont necessarily win but rather those who abide by the guidelines. somebody needs to set up large scale sociological studies on it all. though that may not be politic.

so, i agree with what you're saying, but take heart, life's a cycle. people begin to tire of cookie cutter candidates and shift towards taking "non-traditional" students (i.e english majors, people with other previous careers, etc) and then shift back. and personality goes a long way also.
point is, if ya wanna get in, you will. it may just take a little time, luck, or persistance.
that said, play the game as best ya can without losing your soul.