Med schools with gay-friendly atmosphere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILovetheOC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering how gay-friendly were schools such as WashU, Cornell, Harvard and Columbia? In my case, it'll be a different case since I am black and gay. Which school would provide the best environment? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm an out lesbian, did not apply to any of the schools you mentioned, but I have out, gay and lesbian friends (white, Latina, and Asian American) who did and they got a good vibe from Cornell, Harvard and Columbia. I did undergrad in the Boston area and went to a number of Harvard GLBT events which included med students and law students and they all seemed pretty happy. Check out this thread where some gay friendly schools are discussed:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101372&highlight=gay+friendly

If you search the schools' websites maybe you can find a contact for the GLBT groups at the med school and they might be able to put you in touch with a student. There was a thread on the allopathic forum, I believe, about minority affairs at Cornell and Columbia so you might want to check that out too. And probably someone else who interviewed at these schools can give you their impressions. Good luck :)

I forgot to add that none of my friends applied to WashU so I know nothing about it. I wasn't leaving it off the list because it had a bad environment or anything. It is mentioned on the old thread, though, and it sounds like a good place.