Med Schools with Humanities Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which med schools allow their students or require their students to take a course or courses in the humanities during med school?

Members don't see this ad.

there are a good amount of schools that have this, but listing all of them would be somewhat time consuming so maybe you can list schools you are interested in and then you can get a faster response to this post.

Sorry, do Columbia, Cornell, WashU or Harvard have such a requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard - New Pathway: At least 16 additional credit hours in non-science courses

Columbia - outside of the standard year of english...none.

Cornell - recommends that you take classes outside of the sciences.

WashU - nope.

i think keck usc has a 30 unit requirment. but you should check that out to verify.

highly recommended by ucla geffen.

Originally posted by jlee9531
Harvard - New Pathway: At least 16 additional credit hours in non-science courses

Columbia - outside of the standard year of english...none.

Cornell - recommends that you take classes outside of the sciences.

WashU - nope.

I believe he is asking whether these schools have humanities requirements for their MED STUDENTS, not applicants.

I seriously doubt Columbia requires its enrolled med students to take 1 year of english while in med school...

Yeah, I was inquiring about medical students, not undergrads.

I'm pretty sure Columbia requires some Humanities classes during 2nd year...check your Blue Viewbook, it's on there.

Originally posted by JulianCrane
Yeah, I was inquiring about medical students, not undergrads.

oops. sorry. well at least my unintended bump led to other responses haha.

I believe Emory has a 18 credit requirement of humanities

doesn't penn state?