• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

foolio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
Status (Visible)
Would any of the med student nurses out there like to offer insight into how their application and interviews went. In particular, issues specific to being a nurse, such as questions during interview, attitudes, ect. I am a BSN currently finishing my pre-med course work, will apply next year, curious about how nurses are perceived by adcoms. (Especially in light of the nursing shortage)

foolio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
Status (Visible)
Another aspect of this I would love some insight into is the difference you have experienced between MD and DO schools. It seems that DO schools are more open to us non-trads, but it would be great to hear your experiences. :D

About the Ads

foolio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
Status (Visible)
Nursey K,

I have not found much relating to the interview process or how nurses are perceived by the adcoms. well, lots of speculation in other areas, but not a lot from nurses who have gone through the process. Any insight would be great. ;)

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2000
Trying to escape Libtardia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Posted by me in one of the other Nursing threads:

I'm a non-trad that will be attending LECOM in Aug. MD schools didn't impress me much with their "attitude" (JMHO). They weren't thrilled with my background or willing to embrace my "former" life(lives). The interviews were a version of "I'll show you my ball$ if you show me yours" (after 5-6 yrs as a Charge RN in a ED/Trauma Unit you have a tendancy to grow big brass ones ;) ). I thought, 'Why should I go to your school after you treated my like sh#t during the interview and on the phone?'....hey, I understand the whole "stress-interview" concept/see what you're made of thing...that's all well and good, but when it gets down to flat out insults....(JMHO)

Needless to say, I did more research. Talked to the DOs I worked with (one of them a former ER/Critical Care RN). Made some inital "cold calls" to 3 DO schools - one was nicer than the other - and these people didn't know me from Adam. They flat out invited me to their campus to talk with them even before they received any of my application stuff. I was impressed. They embraced my former career(s) and gave me ideas on how to BUILD FROM THEM to become a competent, Board Certified, DO ('They liked me, they really liked me!' LOL).

Do your research. Apply to both if you're on the fence/have something to prove/don't want to live your life wondering if you could get into "allopathic" school. Your allopathic experience certainly may be quite different than mine. Decide where your goals lie: If you're planning on a highly competitive surgical specialty, for example, allopathic is the way to go from what I hear *someone correct me if I'm in error please*. Can it be done DO-route? I'm sure there's someone out there who's already blazed that trail, so to speak; it's just a matter of finding them/how they did it. I'm ultimately looking for Board Certification in EM. There's my goal. I can do that either DO or MD. I was pleased with my reception at DO school - therefore, I'm going DO. Will I keep blinders on during my rotations? Certainly not! Another pearl I was told - enjoy the rotations (esp. if you have already been in a specialty nursing field like I have been for any length of time)! Heck, I may even find out that I want to go into something else - and that'll be OK, too. Board Certification is available in most aspects of medicine (except Trauma, that I know of for sure - again, correct/fill in for me someone).

As far as the "big" choice of exactly which school to attend...well..you can listen to all the comments from people you like, but when it comes down to it, it's something that you need to judge and decide on your own. How did they treat you (in person and on the phone)? Will they give you a solid education? Are their COMLEX scores average/above average compared to national average? (I had one school tell me that their scores were below average but passing, and dropping every year because they were teaching the wrong/old material :eek: ) How did the students look, how did they act towards you (we had a group at one school insult us as we walked by them)? Take some "alone-time" and walk around the school/grounds/town/city and think to yourself, "Do I picture myself here?" "How do I feel?" (I know this sounds corny but it helped me decide.)

Best of luck to you on your journey from nurse to physician! Feel free to e-mail me.

Kat :)

wsu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2001
detroit, mi
Status (Visible)
hello,

good luck with your application. I too am a BSN and applying to medical school as well. If you like you can email me at [email protected] Have you already taken the mcat and sent your applications?

BADunning

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
Pikeville
bdunning.tripod.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi there,

I'm an LPN and EMT-IV. I was going to respond to the question until I read the response my NurseyK. Now, I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with NurseyK's response, and am responding here merely to reinforce that. My experiences were similar, and my attitude / perception is likewise similar.

Best wishes! :)

lax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
I am a registered nurse. I worked in Trauma ICU. There was a resident DO doing rotations in the Trauma ICU/ Shock trauma area. He was one of the best!

Kev (UK)

British Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just to point out that the other posts are over 3 years old lax:D

Luck

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status (Visible)
lax said:
I am a registered nurse. I worked in Trauma ICU. There was a resident DO doing rotations in the Trauma ICU/ Shock trauma area. He was one of the best!
Obviously. DOs generally make better physicians.

bignursemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2002
DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Ok! I definitely need to add my two-cents here. I?m currently a fourth year medical student, who started off an RN BSN/ dual major with biochemistry, and the entire interview process went great. When it comes down to it, it?s about ?spin?, not about attitude? During the process I applied to 15 allopathic schools, had 10 interviews and 5 acceptances?during the interview process I found that most of the directors wanted to get to know who I was and my motivation?(your nursing background is a by far one of the biggest strengths in the interview process and during your clerkship years)

In retrospect, I really don?t think I ever had to deal with any degree of attitude.
As for the debate between Allo vs Osteo, I have to agree with NurseyK , follow your heart, and your gut. Personally, when I applied I had never even heard of Osteo schools?. Which I think was a function of my undergraduate university, which stressed Allo mentality since we were affiliated with several large teaching hospitals?but in the past I have worked with physicians from both backgrounds and I have encountered both allo and osteo physicians who didn?t know their backside from a hole in the ground?so the moral of the story is that the physician that you ultimately become is a direct reflection of the time and energy you want to put into it?.

If you have any questions drop me a line?I?m transitioning?or actually on vacation between my third and fourth years, and beginning to do away electives for anesthesia?take care and good luck

DeLaughterDO

Ghost in the Machine
10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
State of Being
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'll add my thoughts here too.. I agree w/ bignursemd and nurseyk. Only you can decide where to go. Browse the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums here and you'll find that if you ask 100 people their opinion, you'll get 100 different answers.

In general, the adcomms I encountered were very receptive. I ended up going to TCOM (osteo school) because I liked the atmosphere better here. You will be asked why you are now wanting to enter medical school - expect that question. Also expect to be asked how you think your prior training will help/hinder you in medical school. I got these questions at every interview I went to - osteo or allo. Be able to tell your interviewers what you consider special about your experience as an nurse and how you want to use that as a physician. You'll get tired of answering the same 2 or 3 questions 2 or 3 times for every interview day, but people are curious and want to know what you can bring to the profession (sometimes they are just elitist a**holes, but there are a few in every bunch).

As far as allo vs osteo goes - go with what your heart tells you. Go where you feel most at home - because you will spend a great amount of time over the next 4 years there. It will truly be your home away from home!

Best of luck.

Jonethan De.

marleybfour

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Boynton Beach, Fl.
Status (Visible)
I am an RN who is in the second year of med school. I applied to very few schools as I didn't have a lot of flexability with relocating. As soon as I got into my first choice I stopped all other secondaries. I wasn't asked any questions about my nursing in the interview. I was asked about my knowledge and experience with DO's instead. The interview is only about 10-15 minutes long. I think they just want to get a feel if you are a psychopath or not.

Katee80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Canada
Status (Visible)
I'm a nursing student who intends to apply to med school during her 3rd year. We have no MCAT here. Only compulsary Bio with lab and Chem with lab. Anyone else live where theres no MCAT?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.