med student poetry contests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten emails from my school about a few poetry contests for med students...and though I don't write much, I was thinking about entering. But I was curious about what kind of style or subject matter they're looking for, if it's supposed to be medically-related, etc.

So I tried looking up the name of the contests to see if I could find the poems of past winners. But apparently none are published, at least not online. I'm definitely not looking to copy past entries in any way...really just to see which, if any, of the poems I've written in the past would be appropriate to send in.

So I guess my best bet is just to send in what I've got, no matter if it's a good "fit"? They really didn't specify any guidelines for style, subject, etc. Just wondering if anyone knows about these poetry contests and/or has any insight.

I guess the past poems may not be online for a reason...oh well, not a big deal in any case, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

My husband entered 2 of those contests his first year. One of the poems was medically-related (about gross lab), and the other wasn't at all. I don't really think they have guidelines, at least not the ones he entered. I do think it's nice if you have medical stuff around, because it is topical.

Of course, he didn't win. I thought his gross lab poem deserved to win, but then again I may be biased ;)