Med Student Sued Over CT scan With Contrast & MVA

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by jkdoctor, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jkdoctor

jkdoctor 2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    September 22, 2014
    WHEELING – An Ohio County man is suing over claims a relative was injured as a result of a CT scan.

Robert W. Taylor, executor of the estate of Sharon Ann Taylor, deceased, filed a lawsuit Aug. 6 in Ohio Circuit Court against Dr. Bernice F. Lim, Dr. James L. Comerci and Wheeling Hospital Inc., citing negligence.

According to the complaint, Sharon Taylor was treated by Lim, a medical student under the supervision of Comerci, at Wheeling Hospital on April 25, 2013, when she underwent a CT scan with and without contrast, a procedure which was later found to be unnecessary.

The complaint states Taylor asked the radiology technician for prophylactic medicine to counter the contrast medium but no protocol was taken to protect her kidneys prior to the CT scan.

According to the suit, Taylor developed renal failure and contrast-induced nephropathy which became complicated by hospital-acquired pneumonia, among other things.

The complaint states she was hospitalized two more times before passing away June 29, 2013.

Lim and Comerci are accused of negligence, and Comerci also is accused of negligent supervision. Wheeling Hospital is accused of vicarious liability and agency liability.

Lim and Wheeling Hospital were listed as defendants in two lawsuits in July related to a car accident.

According to the complaints, three people were in a vehicle on National Road in Wheeling in 2012 when it was struck by an Enterprise rental car driven by Lim in the course of her employment with Wheeling Hospital.

http://wvrecord.com/news/269504-man-blames-hospital-doctors-for-womans-renal-failure-after-ct-scan

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Robotman

Robotman Banned Banned

Medical Student
    k den

4. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    I don't understand why a med student would be sued for this. Even if she were on her Sub-I/Acting Internship and permitted to put in orders, someone (assuming Comerci) would have had to sign off.

5. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Likely she will be dropped from the case. It's common practice to include everyone involved in the case initially (going off medical record), and then taking them off. It's bc once a court case starts, you can only strike off defendants and not add them.

6. operaman

operaman 5+ Year Member

Article is wrong. She's a resident.

Mad Jack and samuelp like this.
  7. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    She's a resident now: "According to the complaint, Sharon Taylor was treated by Lim, a medical student under the supervision of Comerci, at Wheeling Hospital on April 25, 2013, when she underwent a CT scan with and without contrast, a procedure which was later found to be unnecessary."

8. Ismet

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    That would make sense, it's just unfortunate that her name was published in this article and she is a practicing physician now. :/

She was a medical student at the time the person got the CT scan, in April 2013.

9. operaman

operaman 5+ Year Member

Is that hospital affiliated with an MD school in WV? I think it looks like just a FM residency program. Maybe she's an FMG?

10. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

When I did a rotation there they weren't affiliated with a university.

Poor lady. I'm sure the doctors followed protocol. everyone knows to give IV fluids and hold nephrotoxic drugs. NAC use is controversial. I don't know of any prophylactic meds to prevent CIN. does anyone?

What does her being an FMG have to do with it?

11. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    There's no "prophylactic drug". The evidence on n-acetylcysteine is equivocal at best, the data for bicarb may even lean towards being harmful.

It's hydration hydration hydration.

And without knowing any details of the case it's really hard to know whether the CT (or contrast) was "medically unnecessary"

12. operaman

operaman 5+ Year Member

That was just me trying to figure out why a student would be rotating at a hospital without a medical school and why the person doesn't seem to show up in google searches as graduating from a US med school. I know some Caribbean schools have their students rotate at hospitals around the US.

13. jw3600

jw3600 2+ Year Member

I mean...still not really relevant. Unless you are challenging the fact she was a medical student. If we assume that to be true, the school she was at is meaningless.

samuelp likes this.
  14. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

Yeah I think a few caribbean schools rotate through wheeling.

Don't try to insinuate that she's any less of a doctor cause she went to a foreign school. what a peeve. the patient probably had pre-existing renal insufficiency or chf or both. I rotated at that hospital and that's basically 1/4 of the patient population. plenty of us students and residents make mistakes too.

15. operaman

operaman 5+ Year Member

That's exactly what I was doing, hence my previous post(s). I think she's a resident and the news story got it wrong. They even wrote it as "Dr. Lim....a medical student"

Only way I can see she was a student with no other searchable history in the US that I can find would be that she did med school overseas somewhere. Das ist alles.

16. operaman

operaman 5+ Year Member

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: some people have a strange habit of reading into things and finding things that just aren't there. I've never understood why people thought the MCAT verbal was at all difficult, but I think that may be why. Sheesh.

inmyslumber and Spikebd like this.
  17. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

I would say it's because the lawsuit was just initiated recently. so she probably is doing the residency there now and was a student when it happened. haven't read the articles closely.

18. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

I have a strange habit of reading into things and finding things that just weren't there, but possibly could have been. It's called not being sure of your intentions and the multitude of possibilities of what you could have meant. Maybe she's an FMG... maybe she graduated from WVU..

19. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    @operaman, she was a med student when the incident happened. She's a resident now.

"According to the complaint, Sharon Taylor was treated by Lim, a medical student under the supervision of Comerci, at Wheeling Hospital on April 25, 2013," and "Robert W. Taylor, executor of the estate of Sharon Ann Taylor, deceased, filed a lawsuit Aug. 6" (in 2014)

Last edited: 09.24.14
  20. username456789

username456789 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dude, you need to chill. No one was insinuating anything negative about FMG/Caribbean students (but if you're really itching for us to, I'm sure we could oblige). You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder.

DermViser, inmyslumber and Sikkunt like this.
  21. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

"I think it looks like just a FM residency program. Maybe she's an FMG?"

Why not say: "I think it looks like just a FM residency program. Maybe she's an AMG?"

Go pay your bills.

22. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How is the 2nd question different from the 1st question? Isn't the supposed slight taken dependent on the person interpreting it, in this case, you?

23. username456789

username456789 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are clearly not getting something.

Would it be too mean for me to ask you what you scored on the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT?

24. StIGMA

StIGMA Doctor Professor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    PhD
    Perhaps the lawyer can file a suit for her student loans while he's at it.

tiedyeddog likes this.
  25. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel 5+ Year Member

Yep. The only thing that's been proven to help reduce the risk (not eliminate) CIN is aggressive IVF.

26. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

yeah but why even bring into question her possibly being foreign trained. She evidently passed her exams and is therefore competent to practice. Her school is irrelevant.

27. SouthernSurgeon

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    People were just trying to understand what her role was in the patient's case, IMO.

The article is poorly written and while it says she is (or was at the time) a student, they wouldn't be the first reporters to misunderstand the phases of medical training.

So when they said she was a med student, but it was at a hospital that's not typically affiliated with a medical school, it raised the possibility that she was actually either a resident there, or she was an IMG/FMG doing a rotation.

If bringing up the word FMG qualifies to you as a slight, I'd recommend you develop thicker skin.

wholeheartedly and inmyslumber like this.
  28. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

And now it's time for you to take your medicine:

"According to the complaint, Sharon Taylor was treated by Lim, a medical student under the supervision of Comerci, at Wheeling Hospital on April 25, 2013," and "Robert W. Taylor, executor of the estate of Sharon Ann Taylor, deceased, filed a lawsuit Aug. 6" (in 2014)

The easiest questions I recall on the MCAT verbal would have been something like: " On what date was was the doctor Lim a medical student?" Looks like 4/25/13. What year is it today?

gg

29. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

god I love arguing on these boards.

30. Chipster.

Chipster. Are you not entertained? 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm glad you've found something to keep you busy as you reapply for the match

31. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

yeah it's entertaining. alright guys get back to work or go review some MCAT verbal. I'm gonna go read JAMA and then play some golf. got nothin else to do cause I already passed step 3.

32. ToldYouSo

ToldYouSo Student 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hSDN
    Alumni
  33. SouthernSurgeon

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
  34. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

good one. now get back to work.

35. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

Last edited: 09.24.14
  36. TooMuchResearch

TooMuchResearch i'm goin' to Kathmandu... Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  37. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  38. Frazier

Frazier turtle in a rabbit race Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    WVSOM (DO school) rotates there iirc.

Winged Scapula and DermViser like this.
  39. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Medical school education is more than just passing licensing exams.

40. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  41. Ismet

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Keep it civil please.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  42. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
  43. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

44. Mad Jack

Non-Student
    Then she couldn't have been a medical student- she'd already graduated from medical school prior to beginning her rotation at the hospital. Either she was a resident or she was doing some kind of arranged rotation in the US to audition for a residency- I've heard of such things being arranged by FMGs that have connections.

45. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most likely it was some type of observership.

46. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

It's our only objective standardized measure of what you know as a doctor.

Strip yourself of everything you have. Your degrees, your clothes. You're left with what's in your body and in your mind. There are bums on the street who may know more medicine than you.

47. samuelp

samuelp 7+ Year Member

Pathetic minds talk about people. Mediocre minds talk about events. Great minds talk about ideas.

So while you fools are busy worried about my issues with the police. I'm over here more interested in figuring out what's going on with CIN.

Serous Demilune likes this.
  48. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you haven't realized already, there is a lot of of medicine that isn't standardized. Not everything has an associated reliable metric with it. If USMLE Step scores were a clairvoyant marker on residency performance residencies would just take the highest board scores and not even interview.

There's a reason residencies look at your entire performance: class rank, preclinical performance, Step 1 score, clinical performance, actual clinical rotation comments, Step 2 CK score, LORs esp. from people at AMCs as most residencies are at AMCs, have you interview, etc. Even with ALL of that, it's not 100% predictive. All LCME med school meet the minimum accredidation standards so that graduates can enter ACGME training. Even though that's the case different med schools in the United States put out different quality graduates on average.

dwills likes this.
  49. Mad Jack

Non-Student
    If it was an observership she couldn't have signed any of the paperwork, and thus wouldn't be liable. It had to be more than an observership if she was taking some degree of care of the patients.

50. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or she happened to be in vicinity. Maybe she witness signed a consent form and thus was part of the medical record.

51. calvnandhobbs68

calvnandhobbs68 I KNOW NOTHING 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wat

kirbymiester likes this.

About the ads