Med Student Wants to Shadow PAs - How to Ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just begun medical school (orientation!), and I'm really excited. I'm looking forward to my classwork, and I think I'm going to enjoy my school's hands-on curriculum.

However, I'm 28 and having a difficult time imagining either balacing or delaying all the other aspects of life I love: family (I want to start one!), intense interesets in skiing, fishing, sports, etc. I want to practice medicine, but I'm not sure if the life of a doctor is one that I want. I'm thinking I might give med school a try for a semester, and see how it goes. During this time I want to consider if being a PA would be more satisfying from me. To do this, I'd like to shadow PA's. But I don't know any PA's!

I go to med school at a large teaching hospital that also has a PA program. Not to mention, the hospital employs a lot of PAs.

How could I approach PAs about shadowing them? Anyone had experience/success with this?

Thanks!

(About thinking about dropping out and going to med school - I'd need the A&P and microbio that I'll take this semester to get into PA school anyway!)

Members don't see this ad.

You may be confulsing "CALL" with MD vs PA. You can work in either profession without it (i.e.-specialty clinic).

This is an interesting twist.
If your med program is affiliated with a PA program, you'll very likely meet some PA students in Anatomy lab, etc. as a lot of the courses are taught interdisciplinary in many schools. Start getting to know the PA students and make nice. Be sincere and honest. Somebody's bound to know somebody.
While you're at it, though, don't give up on medical school. You're there so make the most of it. Do well. The last thing PAs want to be known as is "med school dropouts".
Best,
Lisa PA-C

guetzow said:
You may be confulsing "CALL" with MD vs PA. You can work in either profession without it (i.e.-specialty clinic).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask! PA's are cool ;)

p.s. you might post the question on physicianassistant.net forum; give your geographic area and I'm sure you'll find someone to shadow.
L. :luck:

guetzow said:
Just ask! PA's are cool ;)

primadonna22274 said:
p.s. you might post the question on physicianassistant.net forum; give your geographic area and I'm sure you'll find someone to shadow.
L. :luck:

Hey Thanks! I didn't even know bout physicianassistant.net. Great!