• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

tesfawMD

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
Hey guys,

I received a warning/censure from my college for underage drinking. Should I mention this on an application or not?

Can any medical students relate to this experience?

Jul 16, 2011
Status
This is just real bad luck. Anyone here who says they didn't do what you did is either lame or full of it. In any case, the problem with your situation is that you got caught. According to AMCAS, any official disciplinary action performed by your institution should be reported. If I were you, I would report the infraction and let that be the extent of it. Do not write about it in your personal statement. Honesty is the best policy here--no one has any idea how these schools can find out about these things and if they do and you didn't admit to it, your application will be tossed in the trash for professionalism reasons.

In any case, as long as you weren't cited for doing something belligerent during this episode, I think you will survive. I have friends in my class who were cited multiple times and still got in. If it comes up in interviews, use it as an opportunity to show off your maturity and all that crap. I think you'll be fine.

StephenMaturin

Dissecting with Dupuytren
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys,

I received a warning/censure from my college for underage drinking. Should I mention this on an application or not?

Can any medical students relate to this experience?
Did you get censured by the school or by your dorm? Call the school office of student affairs and ask if you have anything on your record. You might not. There is no reason to tell medical schools what your apartment management company thinks of you.

About the Ads

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status
Attending Physician
I'd also recommend seeing if it's on any official record.

Being paranoid as I am, I'd probably mention it on the application. Admissions committee people understand that underage drinking happens. It's not like you've got 5 citations and 2 DUIs. Everyone makes mistakes.

Lil Mick

5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2009
The South
Status
MD/PhD Student
Report it to be safe. It won't hurt you, as long as it isn't recent or an unbroken pattern. I had to apply with stuff on my record (and subsequently disclose that I was in recovery). Sometimes it's a positive if they see you accepting responsibility and using it as a learning/service experience... PM me if you want to talk more :)

tesfawMD

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
I'd also recommend seeing if it's on any official record.

Being paranoid as I am, I'd probably mention it on the application. Admissions committee people understand that underage drinking happens. It's not like you've got 5 citations and 2 DUIs. Everyone makes mistakes.
It's on my student conduct record which is separate from my academic record.

tesfawMD

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
Did you get censured by the school or by your dorm? Call the school office of student affairs and ask if you have anything on your record. You might not. There is no reason to tell medical schools what your apartment management company thinks of you.
I got an official University Warning.

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
The Ether
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It's on my student conduct record which is separate from my academic record.
If it's not on your academic transcript then you're safe it would appear. Will your school only send your academic transcript to AMCAS?

Either way, do you want to risk losing an acceptance over something so inconsequential?

High Roller

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't mention it. You're just giving schools reasons to not interview you.

High Roller

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Report it to be safe. It won't hurt you, as long as it isn't recent or an unbroken pattern. I had to apply with stuff on my record (and subsequently disclose that I was in recovery). Sometimes it's a positive if they see you accepting responsibility and using it as a learning/service experience... PM me if you want to talk more :)
Its awesome you overcame some stuff in the past, but comparing getting caught boozing at a party to being in recovery is a stretch. A big stretch.

I see no reason to bring up something so inconsequential.

0919mmk

5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2009
Skid Row
Status
Medical Student
That is some s**t luck man. Agreed with general opinion here - find out if med shcools will see it or not. Don't make a big deal out of it, everybody has done this, and it was kind of lame of your school to do that, but whatever, roll with it. Adcoms arent stupid, they dont expect every applicant to be a monk. Good luck:thumbup:

SeminoleVesicle

MS4
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2011
Status
Medical Student
http://206.82.221.135/showpost.php?p=3619846&postcount=9

1) It's easy for people to say report it when they're not in your situation.
2) Don't voluntarily offer up any information that could potentially hurt you.

tesfawMD

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
This is a good post, but the info on background checks is dated.
Yeah its from 2006! Their doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to deal answer this issue of "institutional action".
"Checking the box is a huge red flag and will almost guarantee you a rejection."
I wonder if he's 100% correct on this because it seems to contradict everything I've heard thus far.

dippindots

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
http://206.82.221.135/showpost.php?p=3619846&postcount=9

1) It's easy for people to say report it when they're not in your situation.
2) Don't voluntarily offer up any information that could potentially hurt you.
WHY did I not read this thread before I stuck my foot in my mouth during my committee interview?? I felt like I dug my own grave. :mad:

On another note, I was told that it wasn't going to be a big deal as long as I explained it in such a way that showed that I learned from my mistake, and I wasn't arrogant about it. I'm not sure how the whole issue works with IA apps being placed in a separate "pile" - I've only heard that about felonies.

tesfawMD

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
WHY did I not read this thread before I stuck my foot in my mouth during my committee interview?? I felt like I dug my own grave. :mad:

On another note, I was told that it wasn't going to be a big deal as long as I explained it in such a way that showed that I learned from my mistake, and I wasn't arrogant about it. I'm not sure how the whole issue works with IA apps being placed in a separate "pile" - I've only heard that about felonies.
Why did you receive "institutional action" lol??
And do you plan on including it in your app?

SeminoleVesicle

MS4
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Yeah its from 2006! Their doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to deal answer this issue of "institutional action".
"Checking the box is a huge red flag and will almost guarantee you a rejection."
I wonder if he's 100% correct on this because it seems to contradict everything I've heard thus far.
I also question how legitimate the post is, but I have a feeling that advisors/adcoms tend to sugarcoat it. If you're really unsure on what to do, I would just report it.

dippindots

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Why did you receive "institutional action" lol??
And do you plan on including it in your app?
Underage drinking. Yes, I included it in my app because it said to include IA's even if the action does not appear on your record, and I didn't want to mess with lying on my app. I figured underage drinking wasn't a deal-breaker, but lying would be.

Oh, and my adviser knew about it and was putting it in the committee letter anyways.

Bumbl3b33

Removed
Feb 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Lol Relax, I was a Hall Director and ran 4 dorm buildings with 2k people all together at my school. Your school probably won't tell them anything related to that...We know how prevalent this is in college. The chances of your school even caring are low unless it's a super top-notch school. You're fine!

About the Ads