1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

med students can you answer this for me pls

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tesfawMD, Aug 4, 2011.

1. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I received a warning/censure from my college for underage drinking. Should I mention this on an application or not?

Can any medical students relate to this experience?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Brewmeister

This is just real bad luck. Anyone here who says they didn't do what you did is either lame or full of it. In any case, the problem with your situation is that you got caught. According to AMCAS, any official disciplinary action performed by your institution should be reported. If I were you, I would report the infraction and let that be the extent of it. Do not write about it in your personal statement. Honesty is the best policy here--no one has any idea how these schools can find out about these things and if they do and you didn't admit to it, your application will be tossed in the trash for professionalism reasons.

In any case, as long as you weren't cited for doing something belligerent during this episode, I think you will survive. I have friends in my class who were cited multiple times and still got in. If it comes up in interviews, use it as an opportunity to show off your maturity and all that crap. I think you'll be fine.

4. StephenMaturin

StephenMaturin Dissecting with Dupuytren
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did you get censured by the school or by your dorm? Call the school office of student affairs and ask if you have anything on your record. You might not. There is no reason to tell medical schools what your apartment management company thinks of you.

5. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd also recommend seeing if it's on any official record.

Being paranoid as I am, I'd probably mention it on the application. Admissions committee people understand that underage drinking happens. It's not like you've got 5 citations and 2 DUIs. Everyone makes mistakes.

6. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is a pre-med issue. Moving to Pre-Allo.

7. Lil Mick

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Report it to be safe. It won't hurt you, as long as it isn't recent or an unbroken pattern. I had to apply with stuff on my record (and subsequently disclose that I was in recovery). Sometimes it's a positive if they see you accepting responsibility and using it as a learning/service experience... PM me if you want to talk more :)

8. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

It's on my student conduct record which is separate from my academic record.

9. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

I got an official University Warning.

10. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If it's not on your academic transcript then you're safe it would appear. Will your school only send your academic transcript to AMCAS?

Either way, do you want to risk losing an acceptance over something so inconsequential?

11. High Roller

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't mention it. You're just giving schools reasons to not interview you.

12. High Roller

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Its awesome you overcame some stuff in the past, but comparing getting caught boozing at a party to being in recovery is a stretch. A big stretch.

I see no reason to bring up something so inconsequential.

13. 0919mmk

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is some s**t luck man. Agreed with general opinion here - find out if med shcools will see it or not. Don't make a big deal out of it, everybody has done this, and it was kind of lame of your school to do that, but whatever, roll with it. Adcoms arent stupid, they dont expect every applicant to be a monk. Good luck:thumbup:

14. SeminoleVesicle

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    http://206.82.221.135/showpost.php?p=3619846&postcount=9

1) It's easy for people to say report it when they're not in your situation.
    2) Don't voluntarily offer up any information that could potentially hurt you.

15. RookTookIt

RookTookIt SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is a good post, but the info on background checks is dated.

16. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

Yeah its from 2006! Their doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to deal answer this issue of "institutional action".
    "Checking the box is a huge red flag and will almost guarantee you a rejection."
    I wonder if he's 100% correct on this because it seems to contradict everything I've heard thus far.

17. dippindots

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    WHY did I not read this thread before I stuck my foot in my mouth during my committee interview?? I felt like I dug my own grave. :mad:

On another note, I was told that it wasn't going to be a big deal as long as I explained it in such a way that showed that I learned from my mistake, and I wasn't arrogant about it. I'm not sure how the whole issue works with IA apps being placed in a separate "pile" - I've only heard that about felonies.

18. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

Why did you receive "institutional action" lol??
    And do you plan on including it in your app?

19. SeminoleVesicle

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also question how legitimate the post is, but I have a feeling that advisors/adcoms tend to sugarcoat it. If you're really unsure on what to do, I would just report it.

20. dippindots

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Underage drinking. Yes, I included it in my app because it said to include IA's even if the action does not appear on your record, and I didn't want to mess with lying on my app. I figured underage drinking wasn't a deal-breaker, but lying would be.

Oh, and my adviser knew about it and was putting it in the committee letter anyways.

21. Bumbl3b33

Removed

Medical Student
    Lol Relax, I was a Hall Director and ran 4 dorm buildings with 2k people all together at my school. Your school probably won't tell them anything related to that...We know how prevalent this is in college. The chances of your school even caring are low unless it's a super top-notch school. You're fine!

22. Bumbl3b33

Removed

Medical Student
  23. SarahBellum1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

#22 SarahBellum1, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012