Med students- did u gain or lose weight since starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, though, if you're smart enough to get into medical school and pass you should easily be able to never fall out of your routine. That's just a sign that you're lazy and pathetic.

Hmm- a lovely assessment.... or maybe people just start hating med school like during 3rd year where you live in the hospital and feed on the oily grub that is served and there is no motivation to restrict food or self-inflict torture through running.

Members don't see this ad.

My breakdown:

1st year started at 114 lbs and 5'6"; by the end of the first half of first year was at 103 lbs from the stress. Then, by end of 2nd year was at 120 lbs. Hated 3rd year and ate alot-- went up to 135 lbs. 4th year-- got sick of feeling like a couch potato so lost weight and down to 124 lbs. Continuing to run and calorie limit myself to get back to weight of 115 lbs.

looks liek we started about the same place (i presume youre a female?) except i eat when stressed lol.... i need some of your motivation..

"skinny fat" is someone with a normal or low weight that is deconditioned and has little useful muscle- example would be a bird thin person that can't lift a box from the ground b/c their quads aren't strong enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks liek we started about the same place (i presume youre a female?) except i eat when stressed lol.... i need some of your motivation..

Yeah- I'm a girl! Good luck with everything!

I see like every guy mention they love to lift weights. What about people who naturally hate lifting weights like me? I don't think that's wrong, since I don't care about being perfect, just healthy enough to have people love my body. I only care about running or swimming, that's all I do for exercise. I prefer to stay thin forever.

I've lost weight since the beginning of medical school, but it has been because my muscle has been replaced by fat. Straight up.

Remained steady, but the important thing is that you need BALANCE. Stressed about about exams? Drop the textbooks, and drop the Funyuns! Take a cooking class! Go sailing! Bold faced type! Haha!

Hmm- a lovely assessment.... or maybe people just start hating med school like during 3rd year where you live in the hospital and feed on the oily grub that is served and there is no motivation to restrict food or self-inflict torture through running.

Did you make any attempt to read the other posts in the thread?

Strong work....strroonngg woorrkk

Skinny fat is when you look great and skinny in clothes, but when you take them off, you're all flabby underneath.
Perfect example of what I have become since starting medical school.:thumbdown:

I have gained about 20 lbs over the 1st 2 years.

I can't say if it was just from medical school since my TSH went from 0.25 when I started to about 9.0 in spring of MSI (diagnosed hypothyroid). I'm on meds for the thyroid now but still having trouble taking the weight back off.

Honestly, though, if you're smart enough to get into medical school and pass you should easily be able to never fall out of your routine. That's just a sign that you're lazy and pathetic.

Nice...so that's what it's like inside the head of someone with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.

I gained about 15 pounds first 2 years, lost 35 pounds during 3rd year (no real regular exercise, just many skipped meals and running around the hospital).

lost some weight, some of which is no doubt muscle mass.

I used to work out a ton but not so much anymore. but I am neurotic enough that I would definitely not allow myself to gain a ton of weight while in school. I will eat two salads a day if necessary. :mad:

You won't believe this but I gained nearly 30 pounds during the first semester then I lost about 9 pounds and then again gained 5 pounds and I'm now attending to be more careful about my food and eat healthier food and starting exercising! I hate my current body shape and I feel shame of myself cause I gained that much weight

Members don't see this ad :)
put on 15 pounds. most likely muscle since my squat, deadlift, snatch, clean, and jerk are all near the hey day of college. there's always time to eat and workout. www.crossfit.com if you need <30 minute workouts. most of the people i know who maintain a workout schedule are actually in the top of our class, i think it speaks more of commitment and organization...just an opinion though. i just know i think, sleep, and perform way better when i'm working out ~5days a week.

Nice...so that's what it's like inside the head of someone with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.

I gained about 15 pounds first 2 years, lost 35 pounds during 3rd year (no real regular exercise, just many skipped meals and running around the hospital).

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

so really you decide that after 20 posts would be a good time to stop reading the thread?

put on 15 pounds. most likely muscle since my squat, deadlift, snatch, clean, and jerk are all near the hey day of college. there's always time to eat and workout. www.crossfit.com if you need <30 minute workouts. most of the people i know who maintain a workout schedule are actually in the top of our class, i think it speaks more of commitment and organization...just an opinion though. i just know i think, sleep, and perform way better when i'm working out ~5days a week.

I don't do heavy lifting, but I agree.

I feel so much better this semester and my grades have improved. I sleep better and have more energy since I've been working out.

I like to eat. A LOT. And im guessing med school will be more sedentary. So did u guys gain or loose weight since starting and what did u do differently?

Out of my class of 65, 35 are girls...........and I'd say 30 of them gained weight. Some it's only been 5 pounds,other 15+pounds. Most at the end of MSI are sitting at 10 pounds extra.

I don't usually gain weight easily but I put on 3 lbs. I use to be more active, I'd do yoga and pilates 3-4 times a week and maybe get a run or two in. But now???? hahaha! NO TIME!!! That guy had a good idea with the podcasts while on the treadmill, but yea right. Unless you already went to the class and are just reviewing you can' do that. It's be a waste of time.

So in short if you do like me and studying like a demented person, and being active is less a priority than doing well on your classes, you will most likely get fatter.

I put on weight during MS1 and MS2. As soon as boards study and my PhD years came around, I lost it all.

For me, it was all about having more flexibility with my schedule and being able to make it to more Kung Fu/boxing classes. Kung fu 4+ times per week does a body good. Kung fu once a week with a heavy dose of "I'm an MS1, I can't do anything but I'm still in clinic" time...not so much.

+20 lb (185 -> 205, 6' 1")

I blame it on the alcohol.

Now there is no time for such things, maintaining at ~200 but much stronger.

lost about 8 lbs. butttttt gaining it back while studying for stupid step :( :(

i lost 20 lbs by counting calories and using a heart rate monitor during working out to know exactly how many calories that I burn. It would be better for your gut and your wallet to stock up on frozen veggies and fruit.

I stayed about the same weight during my basic science years. I gained 5 pounds during the clinical years because the food was free.

Gained 15 pounds, lost 10, gained another 5. I wish I had this awesome demonic metabolism where just by not exercising I lose weight... I seriously gain weight by eating healthy and not exercising, it sucks.

Clinical year is gonna be rough but I don't care - gonna stay in shape

Incoming M1 here, I hope it's ok I'm crashing your thread - it's an issue I've been concerned with.

For those that are familiar with third year, what are the dietary options during rotations? Do most people bring their food, and is it possible to eat healthy otherwise?

I've been working out hard with the P90x program, and it's gotten me more fit than ever.

Lost 5 lbs.

Which sucks cause I'm already kinda skinny to begin with.

I'm an MS1 and I've lost 14 lbs, mainly due to stress. Maybe workout once a week *shrug* We'll see how that changes next year and third year....

i m underweight and used to lose weight on and off during stress season...:(
p.s: i started losing weight from 5th grade when i started proper studying!

Just graduated.

Stayed stable during basic science, lost ~5-10 during clerkships, gained it all back during a research year + fourth year. Up about 3 pounds now that I attribute entirely to all the food from graduation.