Med Students that have the most fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey kids,

I'm about to apply this June. You know, I'm just thinking about the future and whatnot--- I'm just wondering if there are med students out there who think their student body is pretty happy, have fun, go out- despite the intense amount of studying/work med school requires.

The long years of training ahead just make me curious if there are certain schools that foster community and interaction b/t students- going out together, etc-- having a good time is the only way to get through the rough times ;) Whats YOUR school like?

kings

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, it's up to you

get a couple of good/close friends, and plan your activities. there are bound to be breaks in between classes, so, make full use of it..unless of course, you are a gunner..then, too bad+pity+

our class has fun. We go out after exam Mondays as a group, and a good portion of my class goes out frequently other than that. We have a "wheel of inebriation" that we spin to decide which bar to go to. We try to mix in the non-alkie events too, to make the non-drinkers happy. But I think we have a good time, although its not as nice as last semester undergrad . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
and don't forget that you'll most likely find that you enjoy parts of med school as well. You get to learn about some really cool stuff, hang out with some of the most amazing people (students, residents, faculty, staff), get to do some cool things with student groups (depending on where you're at and how much time you want to spend on extracurriculars) and get to be involved in some of the most intimate and vulnerable period of some people's lives. The work can be intense, but it can be very enjoyable and rewarding. I'd say that on most days I really enjoy med school.

I want to learn how to care for patients. Right now I'm pretty much clueless and unskilled, but I do what I can (on our intro clinical experiences and shadowing, but mostly just trying to learn the basic science side in the classroom). As I learn more I'll do more I'm sure. But right now I'm exactly where I want to be.

I am heading to UTMB this fall and everything that I have seen so far and heard has been wonderful in the sense that there is such a spirit of community and friendship among students. I might be wrong as I still haven't started yet but UTMB has a big reputation for being a relax environment where students study hard and party hard! Additionally, I have also heard that even the gunners over there are nice!! I believe there was another medical student, either first or second year, who posted that comment. I was also blown away by how friendly and personable everyone was. I am really fortunate to be going to such an environment cause I absolutely despise competetive, cut-throat, and full of gunner loser med schools.