Med STUDENTS treating you differently because of undergrad/situation?

Mar 25, 2012
Status
Have you ever encountered a med student who looked down on others for going to a state school? For example someone who goes to Columbia vs someone who went to San Diego State University for example. I'm sure some gunner med students think this way. MCAT is one thing, but it's easier to keep a higher GPA at certain schools. Yes.. science is science, math is math. There is still variation for over all GPA and even science GPA.

Or do people look down on med students who completed a masters degree, are older, non-trads?

Is there this sort of feeling in med school? What is the general thought from med students?

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
No. I went to a state school, and I go to a school where many people went to ivies or other top undergrads. I have never felt that it is an issue at all. I have also never gotten a vibe from anyone that another student doesn't belong at the school for any reason.

There may be competition, but I've never seen it reach a level that "someone doesn't belong."

Flapjacks

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 9, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
This shouldn't matter to you.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would say so; when the med students from state schools see me, they're all :bow:

Have you ever encountered a med student who looked down on others for going to a state school? For example someone who goes to Columbia vs someone who went to San Diego State University for example. I'm sure some gunner med students think this way. MCAT is one thing, but it's easier to keep a higher GPA at certain schools. Yes.. science is science, math is math. There is still variation for over all GPA and even science GPA.

Or do people look down on med students who completed a masters degree, are older, non-trads?

Is there this sort of feeling in med school? What is the general thought from med students?

tenndoc

bringer of sarcasm
Aug 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student
yes. then i sabotage them and get them booted out. last laugh=me

UCUCUC

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
"I went to Harvard UG and attend Harvard med school. When I see my fellow colleagues who come from state schools, I question Harvard's admission committee competency in weeding out the losers." -some guy I know from Harvard.

True story.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
"I went to Harvard UG and attend Harvard med school. When I see my fellow colleagues who come from state schools, I question Harvard's admission committee competency in weeding out the losers." -some guy I know from Harvard.

True story.
This would be a legitimate reason to commit battery.

OP
Parklife
Mar 25, 2012
Status
Where do you even get these ideas from?

:smack:
Med students. :scared:

Good to know that they aren't all judgmental lol

What about post-baccs/masters program/older students? Do they do their own thing, or do they also hang out with the younger fresh out of undergrad kids?

OP
Parklife
Mar 25, 2012
Status

True story.
Well obviously at Harvard..

I'm talking more mid-level med schools. :)

LostInPreMed

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I think this may be another one of those old wives tales because although I hear about this everywhere, I've never actually encountered it. Just thinking about it doesn't make sense. Do you meet someone and the first thing you say is:

"Hi my name is Will smith, I'm a Sagittarius, and I went to a state school for my under grade!"

No, not so much!

If someone is going to be snarky because you went to a state school instead of a place they consider as "prestigious," then I imagine that the problem is a little deeper then that; they are probably just d-bag!

...lucky people problems...

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
If I had gone to state university and then to a top school with only ivy graduates, I would be thinking, "LOLz I paid less for tuition and got into the same med school. Problem?"

OP
Parklife
Mar 25, 2012
Status
I get it though.

Oh well, I guess I'll hang out with state kids

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status
Medical Student

True story.
The idea here is to talk about what can reasonably be correlated. There is no greater cosmic rule that bars the smartest wo/man on the world from being a janitor. Ergo your friend is a ******* :-/

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
If I had gone to state university and then to a top school with only ivy graduates, I would be thinking, "LOLz I paid less for tuition and got into the same med school. Problem?"
:laugh:

lobo.solo

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Jejejeje. I hope to be in your position one day.

AestheticGod

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Someone did this to me before.

My reply was literally this..

First I just stared at him....wondering if he's being cereal

Then this, when i figured out he was being cereal.

sotto voce

Removed
May 13, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Lol this is true. If you were can go to a CC for two years, transfer to a public univ, and get into a great medical school (or any medical school, for that matter) ... then you won.

That Harvard guy sounds like a toolbag.

weezynation

5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Yeah but mommy and daddy probably paid for undergrad and med school for them. So they've still got you beat. :D

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You'll probably meet some douches no matter where you go to school, do residency, and work. They're everywhere. Better get used to them now.

May 23, 2012
In the mountains
Status
Medical Student
You'll probably meet some douches no matter where you go to school, do residency, and work. They're everywhere. Better get used to them now.
This. You will encounter many dbags along the way. Just stay away from them if you can. If you must interact with them just be pleasant and don't let it get to you. You never know who you will have to call upon in the future as a connection.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
You both go to the same school. If someone makes fun of you for going to a state school, make fun of them for being a ******* who could only get into a med school that state school kids attend.

OP
Parklife
Mar 25, 2012
Status
lol so everyone's a ******* and a douche? No, that makes you look more of a moron. Top 20 undergrad(avoiding the hyperbole of Harvard we love using b/c that's only one example) worked hard in high school to get into top 20. He/she is obviously very bright. You can't call someone like that a *******.

Here's how you should address it:

Top 20 undergrad goes to Harvard med.

Unknown state school(not flagship/large state unis. I'm taking Wayne State University vs University of Michigan or Michigan State, or san diego state vs UC) goes to Harvard med.

Top 20 undergrad say's the unknown state school kid got in just because he was able to easily maintain a high GPA and volunteer/research/get LoR due to lack of competition. Easily study for MCAT since courseload was so "easy" and essentially took a "shortcut"

State school says: D = MD woooooooooooooooo!

:smuggrin:

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I went to a top 25 undergrad and there were plenty of *******es around. At times, I consider myself one of them. There is a difference between being academically challenged and being an idiot. You won't find the former at Harvard; you probably will find the latter.

MT Headed

snow, PBR, and bears
Lifetime Donor
May 27, 2011
teh Big Sky!
Status
Medical Student

I hang out in the non-trad forums a lot, and I've never heard of anybody being looked down on for being older. Mad respect for, jealous of, even intimidated by, but never looked down on. I'm not sure where you got this idea.

I've always heard that medical school is a big reset button, where everybody's track record starts clean and people are judged by their performance in med school. It would be pretty sad for a person to be hung up on how their peers wound up at the same school.

willen101383

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I older and non trad and hell if anything we look down on the fresh out of college crowd. The maturity divide is astronomical with some of these people.

MT Headed

snow, PBR, and bears
Lifetime Donor
May 27, 2011
teh Big Sky!
Status
Medical Student
I older and non trad and hell if anything we look down on the fresh out of college crowd. The maturity divide is astronomical with some of these people.
LOL no kidding. Montana State Billings was a non-trad commuter undergrad. Most of the students there are about 30. Going to medical school my peers will actually be younger than in undergrad! And boy do they have some warped views on how the world works. Give them time...

Apr 19, 2012
Status
Another one of those 'I always wondered but never asked' threads. I'm wondering the same, not so much in terms of how people look upon your undergrad, but if I'd get judged as a resident for attending a mid-tier or state med school.

Apr 19, 2012
Status
I hang out in the non-trad forums a lot, and I've never heard of anybody being looked down on for being older. Mad respect for, jealous of, even intimidated by, but never looked down on. I'm not sure where you got this idea.

I've always heard that medical school is a big reset button, where everybody's track record starts clean and people are judged by their performance in med school. It would be pretty sad for a person to be hung up on how their peers wound up at the same school.
Ah, as a non trad, that is music to my ears.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
lol so everyone's a ******* and a douche? No, that makes you look more of a moron. Top 20 undergrad(avoiding the hyperbole of Harvard we love using b/c that's only one example) worked hard in high school to get into top 20. He/she is obviously very bright. You can't call someone like that a *******.
Sure I can. If I, a guy from a low-ranked state school, go to the same medical school as a "top 20" genius, then the guy is obviously a ******* for looking down on me because we both go to the same medical school.

Apr 19, 2012
Status
I went to a top 25 undergrad and there were plenty of *******es around. At times, I consider myself one of them. There is a difference between being academically challenged and being an idiot. You won't find the former at Harvard; you probably will find the latter.
+1

Truth.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2010
The hospital, duh
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
People from USC look down on people from UCLA all the time...

That's not a state vs. private school thing though :smuggrin:

ESzczesniak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look, we all think as med students that we are the ****. Honestly though, they don't know anything. That's what residency is for, to show us all what we don't know. Ignore med students who preach a holier than though attitude.