Madhatter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm starting med school in the fall, and i was just wondering what kind of clothes i should buy??? anyone got any ideas (btw, im a girl). thanks!

renox9

Registered Boozer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Pleasantville, NY
Status
really low cut shirts...fishnet tights...miniskirts and crotchless panties. I'm a girl and that works for me.

J/K, thought this post was a little silly and deserved a tongue in cheek answer.

I doubt you need to buy any new clothes, as long as you have something that look professional (i.e. not jeans or ripped clothing) to wear if your school does preceptorships or hospital visits in the first year.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
Just get some comfy scrubs, a pair you dont wear in anatomy. It will make you look important when you go to the store wearing them. And they make gaining weight comfortable. However the cavate is that they dont make scrubs for the morbidy obese.. then you just have to go for moomoos.

fourthyearmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
Status
I think this is a very valid question. The first two years you pretty much dress like college (jeans, mini-skirts, whatever you're used to) unless you have to go to the hospital or a clinic for preceptorship or practice H&Ps. Third year is when I had to start buying a new wardrobe. Longer skirts, closed toed shoes, less revealing tops, etc. This can be harder than you think considering what's in stores now. Forget Abercrombie and start thinking Ann Taylor.

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Madhatter said:
I'm starting med school in the fall, and i was just wondering what kind of clothes i should buy??? anyone got any ideas (btw, im a girl). thanks!
Sure, I think I can help. Go to Bebe or A&F and get some of those ultrashort miniskirts. Be sure not to forget the matching tops, and take care to leave your midriff visible. Flip-flops are preferable, but if you want to all "formal" and stuff you can wear clogs. During rounds, be sure to nudge-budge-wink-wink at your attending, who will undoubtedly pay attention to every word you utter. Also be sure to lead the way into the room, so that you'll be able to flash the team before you open the curtain. Also, this will facilitate the inevitable call night hook-up, which will only finalize your resident evaluation of you (and maybe the attending, too, if can can get in on the action). Chicks in medicine rock! lol

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
renox9 said:
really low cut shirts...fishnet tights...miniskirts and crotchless panties. I'm a girl and that works for me.

J/K, thought this post was a little silly and deserved a tongue in cheek answer.

I doubt you need to buy any new clothes, as long as you have something that look professional (i.e. not jeans or ripped clothing) to wear if your school does preceptorships or hospital visits in the first year.
yeah...and this is coming from a first-year at--of all places--NY Medical College! Listen to every word from a student coming from this institution!

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
Think of what female physicians wear at work and make sure you have something like that if your school has patient contact in the first years.

And if a guy reads this: I would say make sure you have a good variety of dress pants, shirts, and ties.

Samoa

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2002
Madhatter said:
I wouldn't buy a lot of new professional clothes just yet. For 1st & 2nd year, all you need are a few pieces that you can mix and match for the once a week or so that you might have to wear your white coat. Don't bother buying suit jackets--you can't wear them under the white coat, and if you don't have to wear the white coat, a suit will also be too formal.

A big reason not to spend a lot of money early if you're female, is that women's fashions have a somewhat unpredictable shelf life. Styles can go for 4 or 5 years without a significant change, and then become completely different in just a year and a half. If you're a typical entering med student, you may not have noticed it because you were growing out of clothes as styles were changing, so the average age of your clothes was not that old. But I've seen almost three entire cycles of this as an adult with a stable height and weight. And if I were going to guess, I'd say this is a bad time to buy clothes that you expect to be able to wear in 3-4 years. And the more "classic" your taste, the more likely it is that your clothes will look frumpy when the styles change.

Another consideration is that different regions of the country, and different schools and hospitals, have different standards about what's acceptable dress for women. In Houston, I worked in a very conservative hospital, where closed-toed shoes and hose were required and sleeveless tops of any kind prohibited. In Seattle, you just had to look neat and clean, and no jeans on weekdays. Here in New Orleans, I see women in those medium-heeled sandals, skirts above the knee, bare legs, cleavage, etc. You just don't know till you're there. So even if you do buy some clothes for first year, wait till you get there and buy things to suit the prevailing standards at your school.

And wait till at least the second half of 2nd year to start converting your closet to professional clothes.

(Of course, if you're a guy, none of this applies and you can buy whatever you want whenever and it will still be wearable 6 or 7 years later.)

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
for anatomy - scrubs (allheart.com is very cheap), unless your school has a scrubs service. When you get ready to move out to school, keep a few pairs of really old undies and some old bras and just throw them away after lab. Also keep an old pair of closed-toe shoes that you will throw away after the course ends.

class - whatever you like

patient contact - neat clean professional clothes. Non-jeans pants and shirt are good and practical for working in most clinics. Something that you can bend over in, without exposing half your back; no cleavage, no sleeveless, no bare belly works well in most places. Some comfortable shoes with closed toe and closed back. I never worry about being out of date fashion-wise in a medical setting - I just work on clean and no stains or rips or missing buttons.

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
Southeast USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MS I and MSII are, for the most part, equivalent to college. Don't change a thing, unless you were really... um... questionable. But hey, I love my A&F destroyed jeans, and its not like anyone cares what you look like sitting in a lecture hall!

Samoa

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2002
MeowMix said:
I never worry about being out of date fashion-wise in a medical setting - I just work on clean and no stains or rips or missing buttons.
That's cool...to each her own. I feel prettier when I'm dressed in something conservative but current. I also agree with the above poster who said that it's really difficult these days to find clothes that you can do any sitting, bending or reaching in without flashing your underwear, bra, cleavage, midriff, etc.

fuzzyerin

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
IN2bait said:
yeah...and this is coming from a first-year at--of all places--NY Medical College! Listen to every word from a student coming from this institution!
I'm sorry, I'm a fourth year at NYMC and I take some offense to this comment. Have you seen someone at my school dressing inappropriately? Or is this from the unfounded belief that NYMC is inferior to other institutions?

Dear god, we're all going to be doctors. Stop the school bashing already.

To the OP - the first two years of lecture, dress however you'd like. For preceptor/hospital time, you'll be in professional clothes. I wouldn't worry about buying any now, unless you don't own a good pair of black pants, closed toed shoes and a button up blouse.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's wrong with a sleeveless top if you're wearing a white coat over it?

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
at the clinic I work at, sleeveless is illegal and cannot be redeemed by covering with a white coat. MAs have been sent home for the offense.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Megalofyia said:
...However the cav[e]at is that they dont make scrubs for the morbidy obese.. then you just have to go for moomoos.
You, my friend, have obviously never been to Louisiana. They most certainly do make scrubs for the morbidly obese. Most of the floor nurses here are pretty chunky and they seem to be able to find scrubs/tents to cover themselves.

Guys, get some conservative oxford-type shirts and some conservtive ties to wear under your white coat. Not to mention nice trousers and shoes. But other than that all you'll need is some clean, servicable scrubs.

First and second year you can wear whatever you want.

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
Go to lecture naked. Its the new thing. You don't want to miss out on this fashion trend.

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
You can wear anything to class. Scrubs, dressy clothes, not so dressy clothes, pajamas. They dont care as long as you show up to lectures
Really nothing matters until third year where you actually have to look decent

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
fuzzyerin said:
I'm sorry, I'm a fourth year at NYMC and I take some offense to this comment. Have you seen someone at my school dressing inappropriately? Or is this from the unfounded belief that NYMC is inferior to other institutions?

Dear god, we're all going to be doctors. Stop the school bashing already.

To the OP - the first two years of lecture, dress however you'd like. For preceptor/hospital time, you'll be in professional clothes. I wouldn't worry about buying any now, unless you don't own a good pair of black pants, closed toed shoes and a button up blouse.
Do you really want me to get into this? I interviewed at NYMC for med school. I recall almost 2/3 of the applicants were from CA (which is only curious since NYMC is located in Westchester, NY, where there are plenty of home-grown applicants with $$$). I recall a special "mini-boards" test since the USMLE pass rate was subpar, which would never be found at WashU, JH, Harvard, etc. I recall a prision or something on the property of NYMC...that was pretty scary. I recall the class is like 200-250 students or something like that...way above most good med schools. In general, when people here of NYMC, only a smug grin comes to their faces...a picture is worth 1,000 words baby.

But, you're right, we all MDs...it's just a matter of where you're going to train and what your goals are when you finish.

renox9

Registered Boozer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Pleasantville, NY
Status
IN2bait said:
Do you really want me to get into this? I interviewed at NYMC for med school. I recall almost 2/3 of the applicants were from CA (which is only curious since NYMC is located in Westchester, NY, where there are plenty of home-grown applicants with $$$). I recall a special "mini-boards" test since the USMLE pass rate was subpar, which would never be found at WashU, JH, Harvard, etc. I recall a prision or something on the property of NYMC...that was pretty scary. I recall the class is like 200-250 students or something like that...way above most good med schools. In general, when people here of NYMC, only a smug grin comes to their faces...a picture is worth 1,000 words baby.

But, you're right, we all MDs...it's just a matter of where you're going to train and what your goals are when you finish.
I hate when people trashtalk my school. :(

I really reall love it there. As far as I know, our USMLE scores are above average, the prison is on the complete opposite side of a huge campus, and you never even know that it's there, and the class is 180 which feels small because most of our classes are broken into smaller modules of 20 people.

Please stop with the NYMC trashing, it's a great place to get an education.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
IN2bait said:

So you don't like NYMC. You don't have to be a d!ck about it. What does the size of a class have to do with quality, anyway?

Oh, and "baby"... here should be spelled hear.

DrYo12

Y-bomb
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
unfathomably much loved
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what does where you go to medical school have to do with someone's opinion?

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
IN2bait said:
In general, when people here of NYMC, only a smug grin comes to their faces...a picture is worth 1,000 words baby.
I interviewed at NYMC too, but i really liked it. It was a pretty, quiet campus. Who cares if there is a prison nearby? There's a prison near Hopkins too. Big deal.

OP, i said this in your other thread, but bring something to wear to after party exams :) It's nice to get all dressed up after studying your butt off and living in sweats for a week :)

irrka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
oooh there's more than just a prison near hopkins ;)

anyway, for class: those huge soft slippers that are made of cartoon heads or bunnyheads or whatever are AWESOME. they dont work as well for call nights but are a solid investment for the first two years.
Third year: get some clogs that are comfy.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
irrka said:
anyway, for class: those huge soft slippers that are made of cartoon heads or bunnyheads or whatever are AWESOME. they dont work as well for call nights but are a solid investment for the first two years.
Third year: get some clogs that are comfy.
HAHA. You seriously wear those to class irrka? That's awesome. I should buy some. They always look like they'd be super comfy. Maybe i can find slippers with pictures of care bears or tink or something :D

irrka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
well i cant wear them outside, seeing as there's snow/rain/dirt most of the year on the ground, so they are forced to live inside and never see the sun or sniff grass. (sigh)