Media is now covering the IUSD cheating scandal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorloomis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fox News' John Gibson has been talking about the situation up in Indiana today concerning the fallout with the dental students. If you want to see further, it is already stationed on the front page of Fox News in "Top Video". You can't miss it on the front page.

Just to be frank, but it sounds like the IUSD president is a liberal nutcase with a DMD attached behind her name. Trying to tie in students at Indiana snooping in on x-rays with weapons of mass destruction and the current situation in Iraq is pretty ignorant. She is making a bad situation even worse with her firebrand comments, so it makes you wonder why she is representing that dental institution. I know someone graduating from there next year that is not to happy about the president pretty much throwing meat to the wolves with her comments about how "Indiana" feels about it. A good leader always brings firm, but just punishment without making a spectacle.

You have to wonder the outcome if cooler heads had prevailed. One-year suspensions for all that participated in the password crack and probation for those that knew would've been the best for IUSD and all parties involved. She is anything but ethical in my book with her uneven treatment of the C/O 2009 student body and the way she stamped her political feelings on the case is out of left field for someone of professional training. IUSD faculty and students deserve better leadership at the top.

What are your thoughts on the current situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Fox News' John Gibson has been talking about the situation up in Indiana today concerning the fallout with the dental students. If you want to see further, it is already stationed on the front page of Fox News in "Top Video". You can't miss it on the front page.

Just to be frank, but it sounds like the IUSD president is a liberal nutcase with a DMD attached behind her name. Trying to tie in students at Indiana snooping in on x-rays with weapons of mass destruction and the current situation in Iraq is pretty ignorant. She is making a bad situation even worse with her firebrand comments, so it makes you wonder why she is representing that dental institution. I know someone graduating from there next year that is not to happy about the president pretty much throwing meat to the wolves with her comments about how "Indiana" feels about it. A good leader always brings firm, but just punishment without making a spectacle.

You have to wonder the outcome if cooler heads had prevailed. One-year suspensions for all that participated in the password crack and probation for those that knew would've been the best for IUSD and all parties involved. She is anything but ethical in my book with her uneven treatment of the C/O 2009 student body and the way she stamped her political feelings on the case is out of left field for someone of professional training. IUSD faculty and students deserve better leadership at the top.

My first thought is that neither the president of IU nor the dean of IUSD are women. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good one!

Here is the article I was talking about earlier:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271377,00.html

It cycled off the front page rather quickly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is one of the funniest pieces of "journalism" I have read in a long time. To sum up the article: "Bush has low poll numbers because associate professors at dental schools call George Bush a liar." Riiiiiiiight, like some guy sitting at home loving the Iraq situation and all of a sudden, Dr. Anne Koerber, associate professor of dentistry comes on the news and calls Bush a liar and all of a sudden, the guy says, "man, I've been wrong this whole time! This war is terrible, and not because its costing us billions of dollars and thousands of lives, but because a dental school professor said so. Thank you Dr. Ann Koerber for showing me the light!"

Gotta love Fox "News."

(Sorry for the political rant.)

News flash buddy, Fox news is the laughing stock of media. They aren't credible in their sources (look at what happened in the 2000 election for example). Why don't you go preach to Bill O'Reily, I'm sure he'd love to hear your viewpoints.

The comments (all 148 of them) left by readers are especially interesting. Here is the link to the comments and I copied and pasted one of the more interesting ones...

(page 1) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...CE6R6I7EOBM0DV
(page 2) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...R6I7EOBM0DV/p2
(page 3) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...R6I7EOBM0DV/p3
(page 4) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...R6I7EOBM0DV/p4
(page 5) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...R6I7EOBM0DV/p5
etc.

"There are so many holes to this story and I can't believe how many out there would read it and post comments without having a slight grip on the reality of the situation. IUSD failed to mention the fact that they ALLOW the use of old exams as study material. In fact, many of the professors don't even change exam questions from one year to the next. If you are lucky enough to have a friend a year ahead of you, then you have access to these "study materials". If not, you are out of luck. Unfortunately, dental school is very competitive and very demanding--the pressure, expecially in the 2nd year, can be completely overwhelming. There are some unfair advantages that one student may have over the next, but up until now, the school has allowed it. These students were pretty much granted access to the exam images (just pictures, no questions, no answers) because some of the passwords were not changed from year to year either. The remaining passwords were not protected properly, so can anyone honestly say they would not try them out when handed them by other classmates who were using them on the exams? If they were allowed to look at the old exam questions, why not the images? The school has made the line of what is allowed and not allowed very haggered and this has been going on for a very long time. In addition, the administration had multiple pieces of evidence turned in about classes before this one that had done the exact same thing. They have done nothing aside from turning a blind eye to it. The students in this class are recieving the blame for something that has gone on for a long time. Even worse, those that are being the most severly punished are those who came forward and told the truth. You are crazy if you believe that only 50 in this class of 95 were involved in one way or another. Those that are lying are getting away with it--even those that have been turned in by others and lied through their pearly white teeth when confronted. Since the administration can't "prove" anything on these students, all they are getting is a letter of reprimand??? I bet that will stop them from doing it again... I also bet that this has taught them that if they have a lapse in judgement in the future as a practicing dentist that they should fess up to it... If a list of students involved IS released, you should realize that these are the most honest and trustworthy in the class. I hate to say it, but the guy with the crack house analogy was the closest to hitting the nail on the head with his analogy."

Another interesting comment from page 8 who agrees with one of the current IUSD students saying that the paper did not report the full story. The quote is below:

"As a retired staff member from IUSD, I was very saddened to read about the recent events of the dental school students. I do agree with this student that outsiders do not know the whole story, including myself. I do hope that there is forgiveness and compassion as the dismissed students return to their classes. I also think this will cause a student to think twice about cheating. I know that it is a very competitive world in dental school and second year makes or breaks you as far as getting into a specialty. I think maybe the students were only thinking about getting an edge over others and not the consequence of their actions. I will keep all of the students, staff and faculty in my prayers."

You have got to be kidding me. This is a non-story. People cheat in academe. There are consequences. To blow this up into anything political is ridiculous. It must have been a slow news day. Maybe tomorrow the headline will be that Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead are filing for divorce.

News flash buddy, Fox news is the laughing stock of media. They aren't credible in their sources (look at what happened in the 2000 election for example). Why don't you go preach to Bill O'Reily, I'm sure he'd love to hear your viewpoints.

Just like Dan Rather in the 2004 election. Bias??