And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Verified Expert
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
SF Bay Area
  1. Attending Physician
    Retrospective analysis of the ANITA trial.

Conclusion:This retrospective evaluation suggests a positive effect of PORT in pN2 disease and a negative effect on pN1 disease when patients received adjuvant chemotherapy. The results support further evaluation of PORT in prospectively randomized studies in completely resected pN2 NSCLC.

About the Ads

medgator

Persona Non Grata
    Lifetime Donor
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      Oh, never came across that! Thanks. Are you routinely not offering PORT?

I do. It's in the NCCN algorithm, but I do discuss with patients the limitations of the available data (including the craptacular PORT meta-analysis from the 1990s). Chemotherapy gets a cat 1 recommendation from NCCN but, not XRT because we have a few randomized trials showing the OS benefit of chemo in these patients (IALT, ANITA etc)

user_name

15+ Year Member
      Nov 17, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        Do you all follow the NCCN as written regarding chemotherapy? Note that in R0 patients it is sequential in the algorithm. This is reinforced in the Principle of Radiation Therapy section. Only for R1-2 do they recommend concurrent chemorads. They do have a "cop out" statement about medically fit R0 may receive concurrent and that optimal sequence is unknown.

In my prior practice, I really stuck to no concurrent therapy for completely resected. I didn't get too much complaint from the med oncs as the toxicity was easier. Sequential may decrease the pneumonits rate and offset some of the morbidity, but that is just hypothesis. I recently changed practices and haven't had a PORT eligible patient to see which way the wind blows in this community.

D

deleted4401

Well, yeah, for residual disease you have to give concurrent to give the patient a chance. I wouldn't give it concurrently, otherwise.

But for resected R0, N2 disease, there is no clear answer, it turns out. ANITA and SEER were compelling to me, but this second SEER analysis makes me nervous. Maybe not offer it to patients over 65? We do know, for certain, that there is a big local control benefit. However, this is lung cancer and for stage IIIA, the driver of mortality is still overwhelmingly distant disease. I'm going to think harder about offering it routinely.

It's curious, though. We know with modern techniques there should be no greater risk of intercurrent death (ECOG and other data) with RT. We know it reduces LRF. We know systemic therapy is more effective. PORT should work. Strange...

Palex80

RAD ON
          10+ Year Member
          Dec 17, 2007
          Europe
          1. Attending Physician
            We also know that concurrent RCT is not superior to RT alone in terms of local control for completely resected NSCLC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11071672

Therefore I do not see any benefit in giving concurrent RCT.

Our standard practice is to give 4 cycles of adjuvant CT (mostly cisplatin/vinorelbin), followed by RT. We generally give 50.4 / 1.8 Gy.

Neuronix

Total nerd
            Staff member
            Administrator
            Volunteer Staff
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 14, 2002
            the beach
            1. Attending Physician
              Related question for N1s. Got referred a patient from med onc for PORT in a woman ~65 years old T3, N1 s/p lobectomy margins negative. 3/6 level 10 nodes postive -ENE, samples of 7,8,9,11 all negative, +LVI.

At first I said, N1 doesn't need PORT. I wondered why med onc sent the patient, and it's based on NCCN guidelines! NSCL-3 says:

Stage IIIA (specifically mentioned T3, N1), Margins negative, Chemotherapy + RT.

I read through the text and can't figure out where this recommendation is coming from. Is there data for this? Are there practices that would radiate in this circumstance?

medgator

Persona Non Grata
              Lifetime Donor
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 20, 2004
              1. Attending Physician
                Related question for N1s. Got referred a patient from med onc for PORT in a woman ~65 years old T3, N1 s/p lobectomy margins negative. 3/6 level 10 nodes postive -ENE, samples of 7,8,9,11 all negative, +LVI.

At first I said, N1 doesn't need PORT. I wondered why med onc sent the patient, and it's based on NCCN guidelines! NSCL-3 says:

Stage IIIA (specifically mentioned T3, N1), Margins negative, Chemotherapy + RT.

I read through the text and can't figure out where this recommendation is coming from. Is there data for this? Are there practices that would radiate in this circumstance?

Feel like I'm missing something if that is the recommendation... I would have initially agreed with you.

NSCL-5 says chemotherapy only if it's an R0 resection (T3 invasion, N0-1). Weird

Palex80

RAD ON
                10+ Year Member
                Dec 17, 2007
                Europe
                1. Attending Physician

7,8,9,11 are negative, but what about the rest of the mediastinum? Did the surgeons assess the rest of the stations? I am missing the paratracheal & paraaortic nodes.
                  Did this patient have a preop FDG-PET-CT and did the tumor & positive nodes show in it?

Could it be, that the recommendation to irradiate in T3 N0/1 (invasion) may refer to cases with chest wall invasion, which is considered by some as an indication for irradiation (of the invaded chest wall NOT the mediastinum)?

Neuronix

Total nerd
                  Staff member
                  Administrator
                  Volunteer Staff
                  Verified Expert
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 14, 2002
                  the beach
                  1. Attending Physician
                    7,8,9,11 are negative, but what about the rest of the mediastinum? Did the surgeons assess the rest of the stations? I am missing the paratracheal & paraaortic nodes.
                    Did this patient have a preop FDG-PET-CT and did the tumor & positive nodes show in it

Pre-op PET/CT was negative for PET avid lymphadenopathy. It was only positive for the large hypermetabolic squamous cell ca. CT had some sub-centimeter mediastinal nodes that were not hypermetabolic--some of which looked like they were taken out on post-op CT and some of which were not. The remaining nodes were stable in size between the CTs (~2 months).

Palex80

RAD ON
                    10+ Year Member
                    Dec 17, 2007
                    Europe
                    1. Attending Physician
                      Pre-op PET/CT was negative for PET avid lymphadenopathy. It was only positive for the large hypermetabolic squamous cell ca. CT had some sub-centimeter mediastinal nodes that were not hypermetabolic--some of which looked like they were taken out on post-op CT and some of which were not. The remaining nodes were stable in size between the CTs (~2 months).

I still have problems with the non-assessed paratracheal/paraaortic nodes, which don't show up in the pathology report (as it seems).
                      It wouldn't be a problem if this patient was N0, but with a N1 (and >1 N1 nodes positive), I want a surgically completely assessed mediastinum.

Neuronix

Total nerd
                      Staff member
                      Administrator
                      Volunteer Staff
                      Verified Expert
                      15+ Year Member
                      Mar 14, 2002
                      the beach
                      1. Attending Physician
                        I still have problems with the non-assessed paratracheal/paraaortic nodes, which don't show up in the pathology report (as it seems).
                        It wouldn't be a problem if this patient was N0, but with a N1 (and >1 N1 nodes positive), I want a surgically completely assessed mediastinum.

The surgery was done at another institution. So, will this change your management of the patient? I'm not sending them back for repeat thoracotomy ;)

Palex80

RAD ON
                        10+ Year Member
                        Dec 17, 2007
                        Europe
                        1. Attending Physician
                          The surgery was done at another institution. So, will this change your management of the patient? I'm not sending them back for repeat thoracotomy ;)

A not completely assessed mediastinum remains a problem in my eyes.
                          Under these circumastances, I may consider adjuvant RT for the mediastinum.
                          Perhaps talking to surgeon or having a second look into the operation report may explain, why these nodes were not assessed.

TarHeelRadOnc

10+ Year Member
                          Feb 22, 2009
                          1. Attending Physician

Would not offer PORT for margin neg, T3N1 withouth ECE. Presence of ECE in N1 dz is soft criteria for PORT (I think this was inclusion criteria for Intergroup/Keller study); and I might consider PORT in this patient if it were present. Recent retrospective study from Duke suggests potential benefit of PORT in resected pN1 disease, but certainly no high quality evidence. Not sure where NCCN is coming from with this recommendation.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.