Medical Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr.Linus

Hey Guys!

I have a question. Is it okay to buy medical books now because I am getting them cheap or will they be outdated when I enter medical school?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't buy anything you don't want to read now. You won't know which books you will need until you get the list from your school in the summer. Most of the older editions are fine, but the ones that are more clinical and less basic science will get out of date. And how will it be cheaper?

And don't buy them when you get the list either. Wait until you have spoken with the second years to see which books are best, which are useless and which are the MS-2's willing to sell you used for cheap. The syllabi at our school typically are so good that we need few textbooks. I use the library copies, the reserve copies, on-line copies (this is becoming more common and something to ask the school if the students have free access on-line book sources...i.e. MD-Consult, Ovid On-line Books, etc) when I really need a particular book. Some of the essential books so far include a good atlas Netter's or possibly Clemente or Grant's; and Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease (fairly cheap book for the size and content and they're usually available used via bn.com or ebay.com).

Unless you like to collect books (which is not a bad thing at all assuming you have the cash to do so) don't bother buying books early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your perspective. I guess I will buy some basic science books which I can look over.

If you want some basic science books that will be money well spent, try some of the USMLE prep books. Use them to help you study for your medical school tests and begin to solidify the knowledge required to do well on the Step I. They cover the basic sciences very thoroughly.

I think I can borrow the books from the library. But I don't like to be under pressure to return/renew on time. I think I would like to own some required textbooks.

Are there any USMLE books in particular that you would recommend?
M

I found Lippincott pretty useful for biochem.

I agree with Suz, Lippincott Biochem is great! I used it as my primary textbook when taking the course. It is also a good reference book for boards, though a bit long with too much low yield material for actual board study (unless you are a psycho-gunner :)) j/k

Costanza (spelling?) Physiology (Blue BRS book) is an absolute must for phys. I used it exclusively for step 1 review.

Also, Buy First Aid for Step 1 NOW! Get a used copy if you can, since a new edition comes out every year. This book will most likely be your road map when studying for boards. I wish I would have had it to read along with during basic sciences.

Also, Medical Microbiology made ridiculously simple was probably the best $30 I ever spent. Unfortunately the other books in that series aren't really that good.