Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr IWannaBe

Class of 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Pre-Dental student in GA and the only Dental school here is at the Medical College of GA. Does anyone know the reputation of the Dental School and how it compares with other schools? Thanks.

Dr IWannaBe

Members don't see this ad.

MCG is a great dental school and if you are a Georgia resident I highly encourage you to apply. I'm nearing the end of my dental school career and look back on it fondly. The advantages MCG has to offer is an excellent clinical education, early introduction into clinic, and low cost of tuition. I have really enjoyed the mentoring environment I have had with many instructors and I feel the faculty members really make your education enjoyable. There are varying opinions on Augusta as a place to live. Its not too terribly exciting here, but once again it is a very cheap place to live. I didn't really appreciate this as much until I met people on the interview trail this year with $200K+ worth of debt coming out of dental school. I think almost everyone knows that MCG only accepts Georgia residents. The competition is becoming fierce, and since I started they increased the class size by 5 slots. The admissions committee favors applicants from under represented communities. The majority of the graduating class enters private practice. Not too many seek additional training, but I think the opportunity to make yourself competitive for specialties is abundant. Some changes that are currently underway that I won't see to fruition are a seniors only clinic with your own chair and an new facility (if you feel like contributing the additional $30,000,000!). I wouldn't have chosen to go anywhere else.

Actually I am a 33 year old pre med student with a Master's degree in Music and I am taking Physics starting next Monday evening. I have quite a ways to go, but I think I can make it. By the way, how do the med students view the dental students?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf said:
I've just finished my first semester and like it so far. The med student's I've met have all been really friendly. And like seablaster said you can't beat the value of MCG.

Is it very difficult? What are the times of your classes? How many hours of study outside of class (per day) are required to do well.

DrTacoElf said:
I didn't think the first semester was hard except for dental anatomy. Classes begin at 8am or 9am usually. We get out at 3pm or 5pm. As far as outside studying I just learned it all 3 days before each exam and did fine this semester. I never pulled an all nighter.

Wow! Has this been your normal practice even in undergraduate school? I thought that Dental school was so much info being thrown your way, similar to med school.

DrTacoElf said:
Personally I thought undergrad was way harder than dental school so far. I've always been a 3 day before studier or less. If I start much earlier than that I can't focus because there isn't a sense of urgency. The exception to this would be having 2-3 exams on the same day.

So, I guess you already answered my next question as to whether or not you have a life outside of school, because I have a family with 3 kids. Any other students in your class in a similar situation?

DrTacoElf said:
Yeah there are tons of people who only study the night before and get Bs easily. But from what I hear 2nd year that isn't the case because you are bombarded with labwork so you basically live in the school. But first semester is lax if you ask me.

A fair amount of people in our class have children. I want to say 5-6 people. They say its hard to manage it all but they are doing fine.

What made you decide on dentistry?

seablaster said:
MCG is a great dental school and if you are a Georgia resident I highly encourage you to apply. I'm nearing the end of my dental school career and look back on it fondly. The advantages MCG has to offer is an excellent clinical education, early introduction into clinic, and low cost of tuition. I have really enjoyed the mentoring environment I have had with many instructors and I feel the faculty members really make your education enjoyable. There are varying opinions on Augusta as a place to live. Its not too terribly exciting here, but once again it is a very cheap place to live. I didn't really appreciate this as much until I met people on the interview trail this year with $200K+ worth of debt coming out of dental school. I think almost everyone knows that MCG only accepts Georgia residents. The competition is becoming fierce, and since I started they increased the class size by 5 slots. The admissions committee favors applicants from under represented communities. The majority of the graduating class enters private practice. Not too many seek additional training, but I think the opportunity to make yourself competitive for specialties is abundant. Some changes that are currently underway that I won't see to fruition are a seniors only clinic with your own chair and an new facility (if you feel like contributing the additional $30,000,000!). I wouldn't have chosen to go anywhere else.

What will your debt be coming out?