Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Medical College of Ohio Secondary Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dominator39, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Dominator39

Dominator39 Member

The MCO secondary asks for an essay about a time when I demonstrated cultural competence. I've worked with people of other backgrounds before, but I can't really think of anything to write an essay about. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar secondary question and how you have responded.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit

I ran through the various instances I've encountered at the crisis hotline I work for where the caller identified with a culture different from mine and how this forced a kind of subjectivity to matters that would be impossible if I didn't have a respect and understanding of other cultures.

I think the general theme was that at the hotline, as in medicine, it is oftentimes better to be empathetic rather than sympathetic and it is impossible to take that worldview if you do not have an open mind in the first place.
    -watto