medical college of ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharsky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who got accepted....how long did it take you to find out post-interview? i have an interview coming up this week, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it took 3-4 weeks. The adcom meets the week after you interview on Tuesdays and letters go out sometime after that. I loved my interview day. It was really laid back and the school and facilities are great!

I was wondering if they ever re-review waitlisted-post-interview applicants if any new information is received, i.e. update letter, letter of intent, etc.

Not that I'm concerned or anything... ...;) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we can turn this into the official MCO info thread???

Hey, I'm a first year at MCO. Last year, they told me that it was going to take a few weeks after the interview for a response. However, I got accepted three days postinterview. So, hopefully they are timely with you!

I'm not sure that a letter of intent would matter. I believe that there is a numerical waitlist, but a letter may help to give you the edge over people around you, which may be the difference between acceptance and rejection come June. I would be happy to try to answer any of your questions.

i received my acceptance about 10 days later. the whole day was pretty chill, both interviews were non-stressful. my second interviewer came in, looked at my file, said 'you should have no problem getting in here, any questions?' ... lasted about 10 min total b/c i asked him some questions. however, i know a friend who was given an oral bio exam during her interview. but i feel that was an anomoly, so dont stress out and good luck!

hey thanks for all the feedback! i am looking forward to my interview now. hopefully it will be my first acceptance =)
do you know how many people they interview and how many get accepted?

also do you guys know if the class is filled now? i hope they're not only interviewing for waitlist spots

i could be wrong, but i feel that you have about a 50/50 chance...when you go, they'll give you a sheet with the exact breakdown from last year...something like 450 interviews, and about 200 (maybe more) offers for admission given out total. sorry but i dont have that paper with me now...i think since you're out of state, you have a pretty good chance...they dont give too many out of state interviews...just tell your interviewers how much you love little towns like toledo and that you want to live in snowy weather (the general feeling i got from people at that school was 'why would you want to move from california to HERE?')

well theres one more spot, i forgot to withdraw, and i am now. good luck! i heard 3 weeks after my interview btw.

You know, I remember reading in my Princeton Review rankings and details of medical schools that one college in Ohio had the lowest average GPA of 3.0. WOW! I think I need to apply there! My GPA sucks big time.

Is this, by any chance, the school you applied to?

There are no med schools in Ohio with an avg. GPA of anywhere close to 3.0. The closest are Wright St. and Ohio University (Osteopathic) with averages a little less than 3.5.

Originally posted by MattVike12
There are no med schools in Ohio with an avg. GPA of anywhere close to 3.0. The closest are Wright St. and Ohio University (Osteopathic) with averages a little less than 3.5.

Well, according to my Princeton Review, 2003 Edition, page 317, Wright State University School of Medicine has an Overall GPA of 3.00. MCAT Bio 8.80, MCAT Phys: 8.50, MCAT Verbal 8.60.

Ohio State University was around 3.60.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've seen that too. The MCAT scores are pretty accurate, but I think they made a typo on the GPA. US News has their GPA at 3.45. No way that it is that low.

MCO's Avg GPA is a 3.6
OSU's is a 3.63

mco does have a numbered waitlist. so once you are numbered you stay that way. so i dont think loi's will help once you are on the list.

Originally posted by MattVike12
Yeah, I've seen that too. The MCAT scores are pretty accurate, but I think they made a typo on the GPA. US News has their GPA at 3.45. No way that it is that low.

Hmm, for some reason I don't think they made a typo. I've seen a few others that have similar (not as low, but close to it). I don't think they'd make THAT many typos. :confused:

Does anyone know if MCO is still inviting for interviews? Or if their class is full already?

I think that they are interviewing until early April. So there may be a few invites left.

I would have to go with US News on this one. Wright State's GPA has to be above a 3.0.

Here's the stats for the class matriculating in '03. I got this from my interview at MCO.

Total number of applications received: 2441
Ohio Residents: 873
Non-Residents: 1568
Male: 1276
Female: 1165

In the Class: 156
Ohio Residents: 117 (75%)
Non-Residents: 39 (25%)
Male: 97 (62%)
Female: 59 (38%)
MD/PhD: 2

Average total GPA: 3.61
Average Science GPA: 3.54

MCAT scores:
Verbal: 9.1
Physical Science: 9.6
Biological Science: 9.8

Number of interviews: 437
Ohio Residents: 272
Non-Residents: 165
Females: 175

Number of colleges represented: 76
College with most numbers of students: University of Toledo, Miami University, Ohio State, John Carroll University, Case Western, UC-San Diego, Bowling Green State University, Ohio Northern, Wittenberg

Number of states represented: 13
California had 10
Michigan had 9

Mean Age: 23.02
Age Range: 20-48

Highest Degrees obtained by incoming students:
Bachelors: 144
Masters: 9
PhDs: 3

Entrance Pathways
Regular 4-Year: 119
MEDStart: 20
Holdovers: 12
5-Year Curriculum: 5

This may be more information than you need, but hopefully it helps out.

What is MEDstart and holdovers?

MEDStart is a program MCO started 4 years ago, I think. For people that want to do it they apply during their junior year without taking the MCAT. You apply through AMCAS as normal and interview as normal, but you just don't take the MCAT. You use ACT and SAT scores instead. Also, you spend a couple weeks at MCO during the summer b/w your junior and senior years.

I think holdovers is probably just their term for the students that deferred admission by a year, but I could be wrong on that.

has anybody who interviewed 1st or 2nd week of march heard anything yet?

I interviewed in mid- March and haven't heard anything yet. I think they said that the committee is a couple weeks behind, so they will review your group about 3 weeks after the interview. I'm thinking I'll hear 3 weeks after the interview then, early April.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I got accepted to their MCB PhD part of the application. At least I know I'm going somewhere next year! It's my first choice school!

Waitlist Hell no more!!!

Still pending on the MD waitlist. But at least it's something. Hopefully it will move soon. Come on MD/PhD joint program. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

HOLY TOLEDO! ;)

Anybody else heading to MCO next year? I hope to maybe see a few SDN faces. Anybody waitlisted??? Anybody have news or an update??? Anybody currently attending MCO that can tell me what I'm in for??? ;) It's looking like I'll be in it for the long haul (7-8 years).

GO TOLEDO MUDHENS! :laugh: ;) :D

hey I got into the MEDstart program, so I'll be starting NEXT August--by then you will be able to show ME the ropes!!! :D

Originally posted by clumpymold
Well, according to my Princeton Review, 2003 Edition, page 317, Wright State University School of Medicine has an Overall GPA of 3.00. MCAT Bio 8.80, MCAT Phys: 8.50, MCAT Verbal 8.60.

Ohio State University was around 3.60.

hahaha...this PR book has so many mistakes its not even funny.

thats why most people get the msar. less mistakes.

Originally posted by EMPOWERurSELF!
hey I got into the MEDstart program, so I'll be starting NEXT August--by then you will be able to show ME the ropes!!! :D

When and how does the MEDstart program work? Will you be taking classes next year, and then starting medical school the following year? Or is it that you were accepted for delayed matriculation?

And by the way, it is nice to see someone else going to MCO. I'm really excited. It's my first choice school. Everything about it is a great fit for me.

I'm from California, where abouts are you from?

Tom,
I am a first year at MCO. It is great to hear your enthusiasm! We are in the final part of our year now, and I can honestly say it has been a great time. I'm not the biggest fan of the city, but my classmates and the school have been excellent.
MedStart is a admissions pathway that allows applicants to skip the MCAT. They will start in the fall. If you don't get the MD acceptance, then you might want to contact the school about Special Status. If you enter this program, you will take the 1st and 3rd curriculum blocks of the first year class. Then you would reapply(good grades will get you in), and finish the remaining first year blocks the second year. It will take you 5 yrs, but you will get the MD/PhD. Just another option. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that. Good Luck!

Originally posted by mazerati
Tom,
I am a first year at MCO. It is great to hear your enthusiasm! We are in the final part of our year now, and I can honestly say it has been a great time. I'm not the biggest fan of the city, but my classmates and the school have been excellent.
MedStart is a admissions pathway that allows applicants to skip the MCAT. They will start in the fall. If you don't get the MD acceptance, then you might want to contact the school about Special Status. If you enter this program, you will take the 1st and 3rd curriculum blocks of the first year class. Then you would reapply(good grades will get you in), and finish the remaining first year blocks the second year. It will take you 5 yrs, but you will get the MD/PhD. Just another option. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that. Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the information. I will keep this in mind for next year if things do not work out as well as I hope. I am currently in the bartering stage of trying to get off of the waitlist. I only hope they don't find me too annoying. I actually plan on flying out from No. Cal. to Toledo in the next couple of weeks to look for apartments. Any recommendations? Something cheap is the obvious. Also, Summer research starts on May 17th :eek: . So imagine my suprise when I heard that.

Good to hear from a future fellow Toledoan.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I'm INNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

:clap: :D :cool:

Oh my God!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!! :wow: :wow:

MD/PhD!!! :horns: :hardy:

Going to Toledo! Yeee haaaaaaa!!! :love:

Originally posted by MDTom
AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I'm INNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

:clap: :D :cool:

Oh my God!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!!
MD/PhD!!! :horns: :hardy:

Going to Toledo! Yeee haaaaaaa!!! :love:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

congratulations mdtom!

see how sweet it is? the waiting didnt seem that bad now does it? :hardy:

Originally posted by jlee9531
congratulations mdtom!

see how sweet it is? the waiting didnt seem that bad now does it? :hardy:

Yes, it is very sweet! however, the waiting still sucked. It did make the pinnacle moment all that more awesome! :D :hardy: :D :clap:

Congratulations MDTom! that's awesome....
I was wondering how long you were on the waiting list? I interviewed in March and haven't heard back yet so was just curious when you interviewed and how long it took you to hear. Thanks and congrats again.

Originally posted by india7
Congratulations MDTom! that's awesome....
I was wondering how long you were on the waiting list? I interviewed in March and haven't heard back yet so was just curious when you interviewed and how long it took you to hear. Thanks and congrats again.

Interviewed in January, waitlisted in early February. Applied PhD in January (i.e. changed status from MD to MD/PhD; faculty personalities clicked just right). Found out I had a PhD accept last Friday, found out summer research started on May 17th! Pushed for the MD accept off of the waitlist (i.e. LOI). Found out today that I was in at both!

Yee hah! :D

bump... anyone is or going to be at MCO next year? If so, what are your expectations, or what have you already experienced?

Thanks!

MDTom (You're gonna have to change it to MD/PhDTom),
I got into MCO through MEDStart as well, so I'll be up in Toledo, but I'll be in the class behind you. All the MEDStarters (on SDN just Empower and myself as far as I know) will be in Toledo for two weeks in July. I can't wait to get up there!

So are you starting your lab rotations this summer or are you just going to work in a lab to make a little money over the summer?

Hallm_7 said:
I got into MCO through MEDStart as well, so I'll be up in Toledo, but I'll be in the class behind you. All the MEDStarters (on SDN just Empower and myself as far as I know) will be in Toledo for two weeks in July. I can't wait to get up there!

So are you starting your lab rotations this summer or are you just going to work in a lab to make a little money over the summer?

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the MD/PhDTom name... hmm... sound's kinda catchy... maybe I could change it to 2BDoc^2 ;)

I will be up there in late april finalizing my arrangements for my first lab rotation which will start on May 17th. Very excited! Also, I can't wait until the school year starts for the MD in late August. I have a good feeling that even though this will be a difficult and trying time in my life, that it will also be a blast where/when i will get to meet some really cool people, and make some life long friends.

The rotation this summer will be for my first PhD lab rotation for the MCB program. It will serve to replace the one I will miss the next summer while I'm getting married. :cool:

Good to hear from fellow MCO students. Hope all works out for you.

Soon to be MDPhDTom :thumbup:

Hallm_7 said:

If you will be there in July, will you need lodging accomodations (assuming you're male, if not I think my fiancee might not appreciate as she is in California)? I should be somewhat settled in by then. Let me know if you are interested.

-MDTom

Yay Tom and a huge congrats from me!!! It's a little belated since I've been home for Easter break (btw I'm living in Erie, PA and from Buffalo NY to answer your previous question of where I am.) MCO is an awsome school and I can't wait to be there. Fortunately, MCO will be providing us with housing at the University of Toledo for the 10 days we're there--maybe me and Hallm_7 will run into ya! :) Once again congrats and keep us updated on your apartment situation so you can give us some advice on where to live ;)

Congrats and Welcome, Tom! PM me if you have any questions about apartments. Who are you researching with? I know you're going to enjoy it. Now, just kick back and relax until May. :D

mazerati said:
Congrats and Welcome, Tom! PM me if you have any questions about apartments. Who are you researching with? I know you're going to enjoy it. Now, just kick back and relax until May. :D

I will be out there on the 30th or April, and the 1st of May to interview the mentors that I will be doing my lab rotations with. Not sure who they are just yet. On the 1st, possibly on the 30th if time permits, I will be looking for an apartment. Any suggestions? I have a small list (~7) apartments that are in the general viscinity (about a mile to two miles away) that offer descent looking housing for really cheap (under $400 1bed 1bath). Any places I should cross off my list right away? Any places that are a must see? Thanks in advance.

Also, I will be leaving here (Northern California) on the 10th of May to drive across the states to Ohio with a moving truck. So I actually have to take all of my finals early and all of my papers and things must be taken care of. I don't think it will be any kicking back or relaxing for a little while now. But that is okay, at least I have direction now. And focus and direction in life is SWWEEEEET! :D :) :clap: Thank you all for the congrats. I have a really good feeling that I picked the school that fits my personality the best. I'm really looking forward to knowing you all as friends. :clap:

did anyone who interviewed on march 8th hear back from the school yet? they told me 3 weeks but it's been more than 3 weeks already!

sharsky said:
did anyone who interviewed on march 8th hear back from the school yet? they told me 3 weeks but it's been more than 3 weeks already!

You should call. It wouldn't hurt. Also, they are very (and I mean very) responsive to the emails that you send. I'm talking within minutes of sending, getting replies and answers back. One of the quickest/responsive office of admissions I've had to deal with in this process.

Good luck sharsky. :)

What was everyone's impression of the campus environment when they visited? I know I soaked it up, however, it was in the 'dead' of winter, but it still looked awesome. Anyone visit it while it was greener (like in the pictures)?

*SIGH* No need to call them, just got my letter today and I'm on the alternate list. Is that the same as the waiting list? They won't prioritize it until end of May too...ugh I hate this waiting.